Lightroom CC speed issues

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm presently travelling so editing photos on a laptop running Lightroom 2015. 

It's the Lightroom I remember... fast, easy to use. My home install of Lightroom CC, with all the optimisation tips employed, on a very high end Xeon based workstation with top of the line everything (about a $20K build) absolutely chugs in comparison to a 3 year old laptop running an earlier version of Lightroom. 

Anyone else having similar speed and responsiveness issues with Lightroom CC?

Check your internal memory. LR likes to have at least 16 GB RAM, 32 is even better. It will run on 8, but it will tend to choke on present-day large files.

Check your cache size too. Purge the cache if needed.

Cache size is huge... can’t remember what but massive.

Intel Xeon Processor E5-2698 v4 (20C, 2.2GHz, 3.6GHz Turbo, 2400MHz, 50MB, 135W – fastest Xeon you can get for a workstation, 20 Cores

Memory – 128GB

Graphics – Nvidia Quadro P6000

Running off solid state drives.

I reckon Adobe has buggered CC up and made it slower!

You say "Lightroom CC".  Is this the new Lightroom CC or the new Lightroom Classic CC that used to be called Lightroom CC?  That is, are you working off the cloud via an Internet connection or are you working off of your hard drives?

Adobe must have hired marketing folks from Leica to pick product names. 

As a long time Lightroom user I've seen performance slow with each new version.  It appears Adobe has now placed an emphasis on improving Lightroom's performance.  The latest Lightroom Classic CC version is noticeably faster than its predecessor, but still lags Capture One in my experience.  Lightroom performance seems relatively impervious to computer specifications.  When I started doing 4K video processing I upgraded from a fast PC to a very fast PC with little affect on Lightroom.  Reportedly Lightroom makes limited use the GPU and only in the Develop Module where it is utilized in the adjustment sliders.  Unfortunately on my system slider movement becomes jerky and unusable after a period of time and Lightroom must be re-started to regain proper operation.  This is a carry over from previous versions and previous PC builds.

As my image file sizes have grown over time with the advent of larger camera sensors my frustration with Lightroom has increased.  I still use it for smaller jobs, but my high resolution files (and big jobs) are processed in Capture One.  I just don't have the patience to process them in Lightroom.

• Like 1

recently moved from ligthroom 6 to LR classic and had a massive drop in speed, so much so that it was unusable. I did all of the things advised by various forums to speed things up such as empty caches, remove all presets etc but saw little improvement.

I finally solved the issue by  replacing the ailing NAS drive where I hold all my images with a new one ( a 4tb WD My cloud Home). This made a huge difference and I then got a further improvement by hooking up my Netfilx R7000 router to my computer with a cat 6 ethnet cable even though the R7000 gave me 100mbs wifi speed, Not being a techead so I am guessing but I suspect that maybe LR classic leaves the image being processed on the harddrive whereas the old LR 6 may have moved it to  the RAM for processing. This is just a guess as I know little about these technicalities.

Good luck