M5 purchase questions

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m about to purchase an M5, and trying to decide on which version to get.

My questions are:

How common is the shutter drum problem in the 129xxx range? I realize the post 134xxx are preferred, but I am wondering where on the scale from very rare to near certainty the potential for the shutter drum problem occurring is.

Second, can a 3 lug version be converted to a 2 lug simply by recovering? I had an M5 a few years ago, and the 3rd lug, being placed low, does not agree with my grip...

Thank you in advance!

My understanding is the shutter drum problem is pretty much a non starter.  I know Sherry always says this but there is a thread over on rangefinder forum dedicated to the M5 (several pages worth) and one of the contributors makes the point that his Leica repair persons says it is a myth.  And since the cameras are about 40 years old, it has probably been repaired.

Don't see why you could not remove the third lug.  I had Sherry recover an M5 and add a third lug.  She says the leather covering is different so once you go one way, it cannot be changed unless you order a new covering.  I prefer the horizontal carry.

I had a conversation with Sherry today and posed the question about the shutter drum, she asked if I gamble— I said if there is a 10% chance of the problem, I would risk it— if it is 50%, no way. Her take on it was it is far closer to 50.

I ended up picking up a near mint, 136 range M5 in chrome.

Also, as I suspected, you will need to fill the screw holes if you remove the 3rd lug, but other than that, no problem recovering.

• Like 1