Summicron 28 on the TL2

oldwino

No experience with TL2 but the lens (i mean 28/2 v2 with built-in hood) works fine on the CL. Corners are rather soft at f/2 but improve well at f/2.8. It is not a tiny lens though. I much prefer the Elmarit 28/2.8 asph v1 size wise but as far as my copy is concerned, corners are not sharp below f/4 on the CL. FWIW.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

28mm is simply an excellent focal length for an APS-C camera: It's the 'diagonal rule' choice. (The diagonal rule is that a focal length approximately equal to the diagonal of the format nets the closest match to human vision, or the 'ideal normal'.) The APS-C diagonal is about 28.9mm. :)

I purchased an Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8 to be my standard lens on the CL. I've made many many photos with it ... it has not disappointed one bit.

Business End of a Blackbird - New York 2018

Compared to the Summicron-M 28mm f/2, it's a stop slower and a tiny bit bulkier, particularly when you consider the additional mount adapter, but the ergonomics on the camera suit my hands brilliantly. The R28 is sharp edge to edge from wide open, with minimal to no distortion. It's focusing is crisp and the plane of critical focus snaps in through the TTL viewfinder clearly. 

Balcony of the Tate Modern - London 2018

This lens and the Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4 were the two lenses I chose when I set off on last year's six week excursion trip to the UK, Ireland, the US east coast, and across the USA by train. I am delighted by the photographs they made. The M lenses would be a bit more compact ... I have them too ... but I just like how these R lenses work on the CL body so I use the M lenses mostly on my M. 

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Another way of looking at this calculation is the diagonal of the traditional 24x36 full frame format is 43mm, which makes the 50mm focal length for full frame a “natural” choice.  Taking the crop factor of 1.5, the 28mm focal length on APS-C format is also 42mm equivalent, which is also a “natural” field of view.

The 28 Summaron on the TL2, even with the adapter, is a fabulous compact solution - especially compared to the 35 Summilux-TL and the 11-23 Vario-Elmarit.  Both are fantastic, but bulky ...

Edited by IkarusJohn