Activatedfx

CineStill film in Brooklyn and NYC.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was able to put a few rolls of CineStill film through my new (to me) M7 last weekend. If you haven't tried CineStill, you should give a shot! It's Hollywood movie stock that has been re-purposed for 35mm stills and normal C-41 processing. It comes in 800T (low light Tunsgten balanced) and 50D (bright Daylight). It's a really nice alternative to "regular" film. Forgiving and super easy to scan without a lot of fiddling around in post. There are some color casts for sure, but that's all part of the look. And the 800T has no anti-halation layer, so highlights get beautifully soft! Love it.

All taken with the M7 0.85 + VM 50/1.5. "Scanned" with an A7ii + Tamron SP 90mm and lightbox.

800T - Very "Arty" color, and nice grain.

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://activatedfx.com/PHOTOS/RF%2520FORUM/DSC01221.jpg&key=d30537e24ed3d48623c356dfe1efbcb5933f016fd722fbd1385cf012162ce006">

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://activatedfx.com/PHOTOS/RF%2520FORUM/DSC01230.jpg&key=3e41fd3843320f128132485b0afb1c3ccf3c365284763d4b04fbf6205b0a7a3d">

50D - Reminds me of Portra 160, but less grain, sharper and a little more "pop".

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://activatedfx.com/PHOTOS/RF%2520FORUM/DSC01197.jpg&key=23035931e13c320ffef213bd069053aed8e30244bc930ca0610804c4029548eb">

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://activatedfx.com/PHOTOS/RF%2520FORUM/DSC01200.jpg&key=cfa0e59b9ad891a21fab2965cf8e336ac85341ccdec71154b9adaab0d5e97fef">

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://activatedfx.com/PHOTOS/RF%2520FORUM/DSC01211.jpg&key=929be152770d6861b238998e497a1f3e9d74aa516b31cd41524c1f644f28a2f3">

I LOVE the look of Cinestill. However, Adam Miller and I had recurring problems with faulty emulsion ruining our photos. Just search here for 'Schmootz' - which is what Adam called it and you'll see what we mean. Some of the problem may have been to older film stock (not that we had the film sitting around for that long, but the second time it occurred it was with what should have been fresh and appropriately handled stock. I have not been game to risk it again.

For example: [url=https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/259642-what-is-wrong-with-this-roll-of-cinestill-50/]https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/259642-what-is-wrong-with-this-roll-of-cinestill-50/[/url. Not all our film was a affected. We have subsequently determined that it was NOT a processing problem but a film emulsion problem.

Regards,

Mark

Edited by MarkP

Wow! I have never read anything about problems with CineStill films until your post. I suppose it could have been a bad batch, or poorly stored, or damaged in shipping...

Glad my rolls seems to be OK, because I REALLY like this film! (Both flavors)

I LOVE the look of Cinestill. However, Adam Miller and I had recurring problems with faulty emulsion ruining our photos. Just search here for 'Schmootz' - which is what Adam called it and you'll see what we mean. Some of the problem may have been to older film stock (not that we had the film sitting around for that long, but the second time it occurred it was with what should have been fresh and appropriately handled stock. I have not been game to risk it again.

For example: [url=https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/259642-what-is-wrong-with-this-roll-of-cinestill-50/]https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/259642-what-is-wrong-with-this-roll-of-cinestill-50/[/url. Not all our film was a affected. We have subsequently determined that it was NOT a processing problem but a film emulsion problem.

Regards,

Mark

My understanding is that while Cinestill claims it is a freshness issue the emulsion issue comes from the fact that it is movie film, so a frame or two with the problem will never be seen in a movie. The film is wonderful, I have used it on many occasion, but it isn't engineered to be looked at frame by frame.

I second, Mark.  

The film is lovely when it works but after dozens of rolls I have found it to be unreliable.  I have gone back and forth with the Wright Brothers.  They have admitted to me that the film is very sensitive to temperature and only has a ONE YEAR shelf life.

For those who think it is only the old batches, here is an unedited frame from a 120 roll of the Cinestill 50D from Central Park just last month.  I rec'd this film directly from Cinestill and had it in my frig for only a couple of months.  I have torqued the clarity to isolate the schmootz.  Forget for the moment about the ugly green cast, just look at that schmootz!

Edited by A miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Now here is the same photo taken at the same time with Ektar.  

For me, reliability is paramount and after being burned dozens of times I have given up with the film all together.  

To each his own and best of luck and wishing only great results. (I am not bitter

) Edited by A miller

I'm sure there could be an issue with the CineStill film stock, though both instances of "shmutz" posted here look to ME like processing problems, but I'm no expert. I would think the film would exhibit some weirdness in the emulsion even as you were loading it into the camera if it were "defective".

What jumps right out for me is that you stored it in the fridge. Maybe CineStill should not be stored in the fridge? Not being combative! Just throwing that out there! :-) I wonder if movie film stock is stored cold... it is a different animal, so maybe cold storage is a no-no? Could be something to do with condensation.

That said, the 2 rolls I shot were taken in 20º F temps in NYC. The M7 was a block of ice. The rolls were also processed at a top lab (Duggal) "dip and dunk", so maybe that makes a difference? Your photo of Central Park looks NOTHING like it should. Color is totally off. If I had taken that same image with my roll of 50D, I think it would look more comparable (color-wise) to the the Ektar photo.

Anyway, in my experience, the world is weird. I've seen people who have had major problems with Apple products and will not buy Apple any more. Me, I've used Apple products since the early 1980's (over 25 Desktop Macs + peripherals + every iPhone), and I personally have NEVER had ONE single issue with an Apple product. Not one. Ever. The "YMMV" (Your Mileage May Vary) phrase comes to mind here! haha

My last thought is that if CineStill frequently had these kind of problems, there would be posts and threads all over the internet complaining about it. These are the first that I've seen. I really like both CS films - the look, and the way it scans and processes so easily - so I'll keep using both of them! Luckily, I shoot for personal use and fun, so if anything were ever to go wrong, no sweat!

As I said, best of luck to you.  Enjoy the film.  It's great when it works.

It is NOT a processing problem. We have all reviewed this with our respective labs and it has randomly affected different films even in the same developed batch. The labs have. It seen such artefacts before on film.. Adam has mentioned that Cinestill accept it is the film but that it’s shelf life is limited and handling problematic.

If others have used it to date with no problems then that’s great but I too don’t want to risk any more failures.

Same schmootz as Adam. Newly supplied film (can't vouch for it before I received it), used within a short time after receiving it, cool weather, different labs, different sides of the world. Neither we or our labs had ever seen this before. Another roll of Cinestill processed in the same batch was fine. Needless to say I was not impressed!

Edited by MarkP

OK. I agree there was SOME problem with your CineStill film. I'm not going to worry about it. If I ever do have a similar issue, I'll be sure to post about it!

BTW. Did anyone like my photos??? ;-)

BTW. Did anyone like my photos??? ;-)

Yes! Very nice, and I still love the look of the film :-)

Having forgotten all about Cinestill, I noticed I have 4 rolls of ISO 50 in my fridge. I guess I'd better take them out to see what happens. They are probably a couple of years old, so may be Shmootz City, Arizona. Perhaps I should shoot a bubble bath.

Thanks!!

I actually found your discussion on the Flickr CineStill group, and it "looks" like the problem was solved. The Mod said they were changing the method in which they remove the RemJet layer (which was likely the cause of the shmutz), and they were adding an "expiration" date of one year on the newer batches. Sounds like the problem may have been solved, since that was about a year ago. My film had an expiration of 10/2018, so it's only @3 months old.

They are probably a couple of years old, so may be Shmootz City, Arizona. Perhaps I should shoot a bubble bath.

Very funny :-)

Same schmootz as Adam. Newly supplied film (can't vouch for it before I received it), used within a short time after receiving it, cool weather, different labs, different sides of the world. Neither we or our labs had ever seen this before. Another roll of Cinestill processed in the same batch was fine. Needless to say I was not impressed!

post-21776-0-39399000-1461485479.jpg

post-21776-0-74405600-1461485589.jpg

This looks like the result of foam bubbles in the developer (or some other chemical used in the development process). I'm not a chemist by any stretch of the imagination but could this be caused by some detergent type contaminant present on some examples of the film?

This looks like the result of foam bubbles in the developer (or some other chemical used in the development process). I'm not a chemist by any stretch of the imagination but could this be caused by some detergent type contaminant present on some examples of the film?

Thats what we thought initially but no, and other film in the same tank was unaffected. It was indeed the emulsion and Cinestill accepted this to be the case.

Thats what we thought initially but no, and other film in the same tank was unaffected. It was indeed the emulsion and Cinestill accepted this to be the case.

It's weird that it looks so much like bubbles. I'm not entirely sure how film is made but can bubbles be introduced during the manufacturing process that may affect the coating or other active ingredients of the film?

Edited by wattsy