ISO 1600 black and white film

farnz

I know you were all just waiting for me to climb on my hobbyhorse! Yes, you can push XP2 Super two stops and develop it in HC-110, L-110, or Ilfotec HC, all diluted 1+49, 20ºC, 18 minutes. No grain at all!

Your thread on this subject on APUG was excellent and very enlightening. I'm very grateful you shared your experiments and findings. Very interesting and impressive results at 1600. Thank you very much.

• Like 1

Neopan 1600 is my favourite B&W film. I still have 30 meters in the fridge but do not dare to use it. Probably wil start finishing this year.

But I also really like HP5+ at 1600. I prefer the HP5+ over delta 3200.

Yep - Neopan 1600 was a whole different animal than Delta (or TMax, R.I.P.) 3200. Essentially a 400-speed film with a "built-in" chemical push (lots of chalk-and-charcoal contrast and hard-edged, sandy (yet tight) grain), which is probably why if you liked it, you'll like regular 400 film push-processed to 1600, over the "3200" films.

• Like 1

The grain of Delta 3200 is a tad odd. Sadly not as nice as the discontinued Neopan 1600 or Kodak TX3200. You could always buy a whole lot of Neopan 1600 and keep it in the freezer, where you could then use it for at least the next 10 years. I developed a roll of non-freezer stored TX3200 last year, which was over 5 years beyond its process by date and it was just fine. I gave it an extra two minutes in 50:1 Rodinal to compensate for its age. I carry two rolls of Delta 3200 with my other films through airports as an excuse to have my film hand searched. 

Wilson

• Like 1