Camera case for CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What model Thumbie is that? It looks like one for the M9? Did it require any special fitting?

Sorry for late reply (was away from computer...): it is the M240 model. Position was choosen in order to ease the access to the buttons. Not ideal but manageable. Hope that Steve Barnett can improve the design.

For those who may be interested, here are some photos taken of the Leica black case for the CL.  It is very nicely made with a stiff leather, good fit, nice opening for the battery door and card.  It adds about 20% in size to the CL and makes the camera grippier to hold. The retail price is $175 USD.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 5

For those who may be interested, here are some photos taken of the Leica black case for the CL.  It is very nicely made with a stiff leather, good fit, nice opening for the battery door and card.  It adds about 20% in size to the CL and makes the camera grippier to hold. The retail price is $175 USD.

Very nice in black too and with the silver beast ;)

The case is great except you can not mount a tripod. Yet battery and cards have a nifty door. Also an easy fit.

I have the same set in brown but it still hesitate on either using the this half case or using the hand grip. With the case it feels more protected but with the grip if feels better in the hands. For both set ups the Thumbs Up is a must . PS. Call me crazy but I darkened the vintage leather a bit to make it more stealth, It now also resembles the dark truffle color from my crappy ONA Bowery for Leica.

Edited by mhoutman
  • Like 1

I just got Luigi’s half case in black for my CL. Fit was ok. Had to work the leather a bit on the left side to make it fit. The case has a battery/ sd door which allows the camera door to open but needs to be fiddled a bit with to swing open (expect when leather softens won’t be an issue). Also no tripod screw on case. So beautifully made but needs to be worked in. Only real hastle is tripod mount which I hadn’t thought of.

I think the arte di mano cases have a tripod mount but don’t think they have come out with a CL case yet.

I found (the hard way) that w/ Luigi you must specify that you "want the tripod mount."

• Like 1

My Leica CL half case free advise to all would-be case makers.  I own a CL, the OEM half case, the finger grip & finger loop & I own a tripod (call me crazy...?):
- Ensure that you provide a tripod screw hole/mount, etc.
- Make two versions: 1 that accommodates the OEM hand grip/finger loop | 1 plain (perhaps w/ your own integrated hand grip “knoll.”
- Provide color options.
- Current OEM CL half case has a nice bottom flap/batt. door arrangement w/ integrated spare SD pouch.  Consider this.
Good luck. ;-)

To Leica (if you’re following): It shouldn’t have been too difficult for you to design an OEM case (your present one is nice, but...),  that actually accommodates a tripod mount & hand grip/finger loop.  You shouldn’t cause your loyal customers to scour the earth to find a case maker who can make this.  You’re Leica, after all–& your patrons pay top dollar (& you know it).  Designing a *fully* functional case shouldn't be rocket science for you...

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I must admit that I have a ongoing interest in leather cases.

Currently for the CL there are a couple of options which got my attention.

Leica

Leica currently have a half case, the Protector in either black or vintage brown.

I bought the vintage brown one with a strap in same color. The protector is well made and has a nifty door on the bottom to access the battery and SD card. This flap is hold with a magnet and it actually works quite well. The design of the case is open, which means you can mount a thumb support. 

Taking the case of is done in a second buy only unscrewing the bottom screw. 

Only disadvantage of the case could be that it has no integrated grip, nor can I mount a tripod. It is obvious that I can not use the hand grip anymore.

Luigi

http://www.luigicases.com/a000-CasesLeicaCLD-Q-LeicaT.htm

Of course it is a matter of taste but despite his reputation I never liked his products. Quite expensive, of course hand made and you can virtually smell the leather from his website. But it was missing something I could have with Artisan & Artist. It might be the difference in driving a Italian or Japanese car…

The CL case of Luigi is not of my taste for one reason only: it has not an open design, so I never could use any thumb support. Many colors in leather and other options are available. So please Luigi fans, don’t shoot but IMHO there are better products.

Artisan & Artist

http://www.artisan-n-artist.com/product.php?nid=6

In the past I had their half case for Leica M, X1 and D-Lux 4. Very well made, perhaps missing some ‘emotion’ which I have with Luigi’s….but for the moment no CL product ready.

Arte di Mano

https://artedimano-eng.imweb.me/36/?idx=192

This brand was new to me, but what a products they make. I am really impressed as this is pure leather p**n is any sense of the word. 

As with Luigi’s many so options but what is best is their open design, possibility to mount tripod and with additional cost, access to battery and card.

My only issue is their pricing. You also have to import them and pay additional shipping, VAT and import duties

Of course there are many other brands like Kenji Leather, Angeleo Pelle etc.) but I haven’t seen their CL products yet (former) or don’t like their design (latter).

I must admit that I have a ongoing interest in leather cases.

Currently for the CL there are a couple of options which got my attention.

Leica

Leica currently have a half case, the Protector in either black or vintage brown.

I bought the vintage brown one with a strap in same color. The protector is well made and has a nifty door on the bottom to access the battery and SD card. This flap is hold with a magnet and it actually works quite well. The design of the case is open, which means you can mount a thumb support. 

Taking the case of is done in a second buy only unscrewing the bottom screw. 

Only disadvantage of the case could be that it has no integrated grip, nor can I mount a tripod. It is obvious that I can not use the hand grip anymore.

Luigi

http://www.luigicases.com/a000-CasesLeicaCLD-Q-LeicaT.htm

Of course it is a matter of taste but despite his reputation I never liked his products. Quite expensive, of course hand made and you can virtually smell the leather from his website. But it was missing something I could have with Artisan & Artist. It might be the difference in driving a Italian or Japanese car…

The CL case of Luigi is not of my taste for one reason only: it has not an open design, so I never could use any thumb support. Many colors in leather and other options are available. So please Luigi fans, don’t shoot but IMHO there are better products.

Artisan & Artist

http://www.artisan-n-artist.com/product.php?nid=6

In the past I had their half case for Leica M, X1 and D-Lux 4. Very well made, perhaps missing some ‘emotion’ which I have with Luigi’s….but for the moment no CL product ready.

Arte di Mano

https://artedimano-eng.imweb.me/36/?idx=192

This brand was new to me, but what a products they make. I am really impressed as this is pure leather p**n is any sense of the word. 

As with Luigi’s many so options but what is best is their open design, possibility to mount tripod and with additional cost, access to battery and card.

My only issue is their pricing. You also have to import them and pay additional shipping, VAT and import duties

Of course there are many other brands like Kenji Leather, Angeleo Pelle etc.) but I haven’t seen their CL products yet (former) or don’t like their design (latter).

I completely agree with your comments about Luigi. I have never been interested in his brand.

Art di Mano looks nice, but I still find it too expensive, like Luigi.

Artisan & Artist products seems quite reasonable and not bad. But ... I am curious to see if they are going to make a leather skin for CL. For the price they are charging for CL, I believe Leica could also have it with a leather skin that would be more pleasant to carry, and also more “Leica”.

As for Angelo Pelle, I am waiting to his final product. His cases look very attractive with beautiful leather, but his first attempt for CL was not very successful. He promised to make one with the battery opening, and I am waiting to see. But he must hurry, many other competitors are taking the market.

I completely agree with your comments about Luigi. I have never been interested in his brand.

Art di Mano looks nice, but I still find it too expensive, like Luigi.

Artisan & Artist products seems quite reasonable and not bad. But ... I am curious to see if they are going to make a leather skin for CL. For the price they are charging for CL, I believe Leica could also have it with a leather skin that would be more pleasant to carry, and also more “Leica”.

As for Angelo Pelle, I am waiting to his final product. His cases look very attractive with beautiful leather, but his first attempt for CL was not very successful. He promised to make one with the battery opening, and I am waiting to see. But he must hurry, many other competitors are taking the market.

as long as it has an open design as Leica's and Arte di Mano's it has my vote :)

I’ve received a black leather half case from China over eBay, the maker / seller recommended by one of us in this thread.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263464755154

I couldn’t be happier. Perfect fit, perfect leather, perfect stitching. The seller sent me a free wrist strap made from a very supple leather too. Less than half the price of the Leica Protector case. Took a week to receive to Sydney.

Highly recommend this solution. The case adds extra grip, and protection for the body, especially the camera bottom, but also the back LCD. At the same time the added bulk is none. And I like that the half case sits really half the height of the CL body — nice visual, not covering the red dot either. The flap at the bottom to access the battery and SD card closes magnetically. And you don’t need to remove the case to attach the camera+case to the tripod. Ticks all the boxes, for me at least.

I’ve received a black leather half case from China over eBay, the maker / seller recommended by one of us in this thread.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263464755154

I couldn’t be happier. Perfect fit, perfect leather, perfect stitching. The seller sent me a free wrist strap made from a very supple leather too. Less than half the price of the Leica Protector case. Took a week to receive to Sydney.

Highly recommend this solution. The case adds extra grip, and protection for the body, especially the camera bottom, but also the back LCD. At the same time the added bulk is none. And I like that the half case sits really half the height of the CL body — nice visual, not covering the red dot either. The flap at the bottom to access the battery and SD card closes magnetically. And you don’t need to remove the case to attach the camera+case to the tripod. Ticks all the boxes, for me at least.

do share some pictures please :)

• Like 2

Very nice in black too and with the silver beast ;)

The case is great except you can not mount a tripod. Yet battery and cards have a nifty door. Also an easy fit.

I have the same set in brown but it still hesitate on either using the this half case or using the hand grip. With the case it feels more protected but with the grip if feels better in the hands. For both set ups the Thumbs Up is a must . PS. Call me crazy but I darkened the vintage leather a bit to make it more stealth, It now also resembles the dark truffle color from my crappy ONA Bowery for Leica.

Would love to see pics of your case after darkening!  I'm actually thinking of doing the same thing and applying some mink oil or something similar but would love to see pics of how it would look!

Buying a camera for the small size. Fattening it by layers of thick leather and huge bumps. I don't get it.

That's fine. Maybe try it once you have the chance. The Leica case isn't as massive as you may think. The pre M10 digital bodies also felt too fat in hand for me. The CL and even the M10 at least with their Leica cases are ok. I like the haptics and the look, but also exchange from time to time for the grip. My Wardrobe also happens to have more than one type of shirt ...  :p

The S2 goes naked, of course.

Edited by Photon42
  • Like 1

Would love to see pics of your case after darkening!  I'm actually thinking of doing the same thing and applying some mink oil or something similar but would love to see pics of how it would look!

Would love to show you but in thee mean time I sold the Leica half case and strap to someone interested.  That said I was not very happy with the stiffness of the strap and the fact that I could not use the handgrip anymore.

So it is now the naked CL with an Artisan & Artist 280 in dark brown. Leather is really so much better than the Leica’s.

Considering to buy the Arte di Mano half case with Avantino grip https://artedimano-eng.imweb.me/36/?idx=236 IMHO best of both worlds :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Considering to buy the Arte di Mano half case with Avantino grip https://artedimano-eng.imweb.me/36/?idx=236 IMHO best of both worlds :)

Maybe you are right ... Cost is at least similar to buying the grip and case from Leica. The Leica case actually does not reveal the logo, which I happened to notice only a couple of days later. Maybe something for the gaffer tape community to think about. For me it does not play a role either way.

Would love to show you but in thee mean time I sold the Leica half case and strap to someone interested. That said I was not very happy with the stiffness of the strap and the fact that I could not use the handgrip anymore.

So it is now the naked CL with an Artisan & Artist 280 in dark brown. Leather is really so much better than the Leica’s.

Is that the leica or thumbs up thumb rest, and how do you like the way it works with the grip? Do you also use the finger loop? Thanks