I'm also contrarian on this.  I twist the standard leather strap into a triple loop and use it as a wrist strap when I am shooting.  And I like to have easy access to the bottom of the camera to get at tripod socket and chip.  These elegant cases just get in the way.  (enough!)

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

I'm also contrarian on this.  I twist the standard leather strap into a triple loop and use it as a wrist strap when I am shooting.  And I like to have easy access to the bottom of the camera to get at tripod socket and chip.  These elegant cases just get in the way.  (enough!)

I only need to access the base to change a battery and retrieve the card at the end of the day and this case comes off easily. I also use the strap as a wrist strap very often and Luigi’s straps are very nice a flexible.

- Vikas

Anybody care to comment on the relative merit of Leica leather case, Leica grip / finger loop, Arte di Mano half-case, and Luigi half-case?

The Leica case, and I’ve only seen the case for the M10, is feels like a sleeker factory-made item. That’s not a negative, just different, the Luigi cases look hand crafted and very well done. The Arte Di Mano I’m not sure because I have no experience of one. In photographs they don’t look as appealing but pictures can be misleading!

- Vikas

Edited by vikasmg

In my experience Arte di Mano cases are the closest fitting and best finished. Luigi tends to use thicker leather which often adds unnecessary bulk. 

The recent Leica half cases are fine, but Arte di Mano takes a lot of beating..... they really are works of art.

I’ve used the Leica case on the Q. It’s very well fitting and looks great on Q. The bottom has a magnetic flap to remove battery, SD card without having to remove case, and it offers space to store an extra SD card or a small coin. Now good is that? The new Protector CL case from Leica works the same. Can’t get hold of the black one in Sydney, only brown in stock.

I used the Luigi case on my Fuji X100 long time ago. The case was solid, expensive, and hand made. Yes, hand made. And I actually didn’t like it at the end.

Edited by meerec

In my experience Arte di Mano cases are the closest fitting and best finished. Luigi tends to use thicker leather which often adds unnecessary bulk. 

The recent Leica half cases are fine, but Arte di Mano takes a lot of beating..... they really are works of art.

That’s true - Luigi’s cases devinately use thick leather and the pictures of the Arte de Mano cases look like they use thinner leather. I actually like the thick leather but I imagine that some may not.

- Vikas

Luigi's case looks wonderful! I can't wait to get mine in a week or so! Mine's identical, but black.

While I was at it I also got a case for my old IIIf. Have to wait till I get home later this month to try it out.

- Vikas

Anyone have a leather case for the CL in hand yet?  If so wanted to see what your thoughts were if it's worth it to buy a premium/custom case vs just getting the Leica branded one or forgoing the case altogether and just getting a hand grip...  only thing I don't like about the hand grip is that you have to take it off each and every time you want to access the battery/sd card.

Looks like the Leica branded case has a battery door built in and most of the custom cases you can add a battery door.  The Leica branded case seems to have most of the things I want but wish it had a bump for extra grip... wondering though if just having the Leica case alone will add enough depth to the camera to give it a better grip?  Anyway, if anyone has actually seen one in person it'd be great to know!

I have tried the Leica case and the battery door is quite convenient.  The case gives the whole camera some added bulk and then does improve grip for me. I'd prefer to have a bump for the grip, but I am happy enough to stick with Leica's case. (Awaiting arrival of the black cases).

I'm debating on whether I get the case for it with a 'bump'  or the actual OEM grip. I do feel I need some more grip on the camera, it feels like it could slip out of my hand or is a bit unsteady with a heavier lens.

Not sure which way to go tho!

I got the CL hand grip. Feels a lot more secure when using heavier lenses.

I have the leather case with bump on my M10 and it doesn't feel as good as the M10 hand grip too

The CL case may be different

I got the handgrip, too. It tends to loosen itself in use, but not enough to get lost. You have to take it off for tripod use.

Luigi's case looks wonderful! I can't wait to get mine in a week or so! Mine's identical, but black.

I got the case a couple of weeks ago. It IS beautiful in all ways. It was expensive, but well worth it!!

I got the case a couple of weeks ago. It IS beautiful in all ways. It was expensive, but well worth it!!

Would you be able to post some pics of the case on the camera?  Did you get one with battery door access?  How well does it help in improving grip?

I think you should also check Angelo Pelle half cases. They are gorgeous and not as expensive as Luigi's.

http://www.angelo-pelle.com/leica-cl.html

I've seen their work before and this case looks nice but not having battery/sd card access is a dealbreaker for me... I hate having to take the case on/off every time I want to pull the battery/card out.

I just got Luigi’s half case in black for my CL. Fit was ok. Had to work the leather a bit on the left side to make it fit. The case has a battery/ sd door which allows the camera door to open but needs to be fiddled a bit with to swing open (expect when leather softens won’t be an issue). Also no tripod screw on case. So beautifully made but needs to be worked in. Only real hastle is tripod mount which I hadn’t thought of.

I think the arte di mano cases have a tripod mount but don’t think they have come out with a CL case yet.

I just got Luigi’s half case in black for my CL. Fit was ok. Had to work the leather a bit on the left side to make it fit. The case has a battery/ sd door which allows the camera door to open but needs to be fiddled a bit with to swing open (expect when leather softens won’t be an issue). Also no tripod screw on case. So beautifully made but needs to be worked in. Only real hastle is tripod mount which I hadn’t thought of.

I think the arte di mano cases have a tripod mount but don’t think they have come out with a CL case yet.

FYI...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arte-di-mano-half-case-for-Leica-CL-open-type-snap-fixed-/322994906449?hash=item4b33ff2551

I've been eyeing this since they listed it but ( a ) don't know what leather type I'd want and ( b ) don't know I want to spend the extra premium over the Leica case... I'm really holding out to see if Kenji Leather comes out with a CL case since his cases are usually priced better and pretty good quality as I've had his cases for a lot of my other cameras...

Edited by tangfj

I've seen their work before and this case looks nice but not having battery/sd card access is a dealbreaker for me... I hate having to take the case on/off every time I want to pull the battery/card out.

I heard a new version of Angelo Pelle half cases for CL with access to battery/SD will be available soon. I hope this is true; AP cases are the most beautiful I have seen.