Camera case for CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just received a version of this fantastic case and shoulder strap for my new CL. Ordered 24th April, arrived today all the way from China and included a free matching leather wrist strap. Paid less than £70 including expedited shipping for everything which is great value when considering a case alone from Leica is £120. There many different colour/texture options and the quality is really good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handmade-Genuine-Real-Leather-Half-Camera-Case-Bag-Cover-Leica-CL-/253394832229?var=&hash=item80a7162e69

I got the handgrip, too. It tends to loosen itself in use, but not enough to get lost. You have to take it off for tripod use.

It shouln't do that; mine never has loosened in use. Maybe you should tighten it a bit more?

I would never spoil the shape and functionality of the camera by a (half)case, but, especially with longer/heavier lenses, I find the grip an essential accessory. It is always on the camera by default, despite the ergonomic design error of needing to detach it to reach the battery door. I do use the 55-135 and Summilux-M 24 quite regularly.

• Like 1

When using larger lenses I like using the Lim case which provides an excellent grip, a tripod plate and access to the battery and SD card. It does add a bit to the weight but if using a larger heavier lens it is of little consequence.

• Like 1

I would never spoil the shape and functionality of the camera by a (half)case, but, especially with longer/heavier lenses, I find the grip an essential accessory. It is always on the camera by default, despite the ergonomic design error of needing to detach it to reach the battery door. I do use the 55-135 and Summilux-M 24 quite regularly.

I am not yet a CL user, not for much longer I hope, but would like to concur, the grip seems the perfect answer to longer lenses. I like to study Youtube tutorials, and read Amateur Photographer magazine to get a balanced view, and as such, to be invested as a serious image capturer, it would appear best to be equipped purely with the functional addenda akin to a professional, even if one is an 'Amateur' . The format of the CL allows you to be discrete. Shiny leather add on stuff says 'Look at me'....the moment is now lost...click. Cases therefore, if you subscribe to this logic, aren't going to get totally pure results, put very bluntly !

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Camera half cases not only add protection and a better grip, but they add the retro look of older film cameras. Leica M designs, which include the CL are ergonomically lacking in many respects. I had the CL without a half case and it was quite slippery without one. The shape and functionality of of older, classic cameras look amazing with a half case protecting the camera. The "sharkskin-like" material on the CL is far more slippery then a M-A, M4 etc. Plus, with the added protection you won't ding edges and corners and fingerprints are less obvious too.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Retro look? This retro photog has never seen such half cases in the past. Our cameras were nude :o or we used (n)ever ready cases the more or less big nose of which we could detach eventually. But we had also little "combination cases" for Leica M, R and CL cameras. I still have a couple of them that i use with pleasure for my digital CL. That said, my Leica digital cameras are indeed the only ones i cannot use comfortably w/o some sort of accessory, be it a grip or a thumb rest besides modern "half cases" i have never tried so far. Just a retro comment from a grumpy old fart ;).

The ever ready cases are what I'm referring to for the retro look. I wouldn't use the front part just the half case for the camera. Like the Rollei TLR's, they just look nice and add protection to the camera. The Arte Dimano for my CL has the best style, imo.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm relatively open to price/value variances, so looking at the cheapest leather half-case, (about $50 on Ebay in the US), up to the fancy Italian versions like the Arte di Mano, my decision came down to the functional being the driver of the decision. I went with the Lim's half case, which is about $150 in the US, but has several distinct advantages over the others. For one, its built in grip is substantial and is a textured aluminum for a no-slip feel. Secondly, the battery compartment is fully accessible without removing the case, and as we know, the battery life on the CL is unspectacular. A nice and unexpected surprise about the Lim's case is that it comes with a built in base plate for quick loading on any of the relatively cheap ball head 65 inch high 3 pound tripods on the market these days. So, all things considered, it's a quality piece with a truly functional design.

Just got from tekiac.de their Stealtcover for CL "upgraded" (at least on my opinion) with the hole for AF light.

It's a 3D print, it fits really very well adding a front extra-grip, it's very light and let you access to the battery/card door without removing it, some pictures below.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just got from tekiac.de their Stealtcover for CL "upgraded" (at least on my opinion) with the hole for AF light.

It's a 3D print, it fits really very well adding a front extra-grip, it's very light and let you access to the battery/card door without removing it, some pictures below.

attachicon.gifL1009112.jpg

attachicon.gifL1009116.jpg

This case looks great!  Now that you have had an opportunity to use it, how do you like it?  I

While I never got a case for my M9, for some reason I bought one for my CL. It was one of the Jason Cui cases that a few of you have purchased. I quite like it. 

So, I got my new CL. I always buy leather cases for my cameras to protect them. It looks like Leica's case for the CL won't be available until the Spring. That sucks! I wrote to Zhou and he has no plans to make one. 

Does anybody know if any third party is making, or is planning to make, a case for the camera?

Thanks!

Marc

http://www.angelo-pelle.com/leica-cl.html

Among the SL users, A.P is the most often mentioned case. I just ordered one for my SL.

According to the posts, A.P has the best quality and price.

You may visit it's online store for CL.

I have largish hands and I've often purchased a half case to help make the camera body a little thicker and easier for me to grip, particularly when the gripping surface is small. I use one on my M4-2, and had them for the M9 and M-P 240, and the half cases were a big plus on all of them. I never used one on the SL and don't use one on the M-D because both those cameras have plenty of gripping surface—I never feel insecure when holding them. 

I don't have the CL yet, but just looking at it—it is likely I'll want some kind of a half-case for general shooting to make the body thick enough for my hands' comfort. The Leica Protector is probably good enough, although the Angelo-Pelle in Camouflage and the Arte di Mano in Red both appeal to me on looks. But the rub is that my plans for using the CL mean that it will likely be MOSTLY used on a tripod or camera stand rather than carried around much, so I'm quite likely not to buy any case at all, or any neckstrap (other than using one of the several Street Straps I have already). 

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up my CL last week. Since I already had the M Adapter L, I asked the dealer if they could trade the one Leica is offering as a bonus perk for a spare battery and the Protector. They did so.

It fits the camera very nicely and has a trap door for easy battery/card access. So far, I’ve just left the camera in it since I’m testing R lenses on the adapter and that has its own tripod mount foot.