To shoot or not to shoot

Jodad

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys

So I was visiting an old church in Spain in a small town and they had X Ray machines that you had to pass all your stuff through. They let me keep my cam and not X Ray it but I forgot that I had a new roll of hp5 in my bag. Only remembered when I get home. Anyway it looked like an old machine so...

Is there anyway I can check if the film is ok to shoot?

I'd rather not take pictures on it and Pay to get it developed if it's messed up and going to be streaky/whatever effect old X-ray has on film. I'd prefer to get a new roll and not risk having ruined pictures.

So is there a way I could test a couple frames? Something to look for?

Thanks guys

So is there a way I could test a couple frames? Something to look for?

I don't think there is any practical test. Except shooting 2-3 frames and developing the short length. Usually that is not an option.

In your place, I would use the film. I believe worries about x-rays have been over blown for years. I have never had problems after going through many airports in Western Europe, North America, China and Kenya. Often the same film has been examined and x-rayed 3-4 times before I used it and developed it. Never any problem.

Whether the age of the x-ray machine matter... I don't know, but I suspect not much, if at all. In fact, if my film can survive 3-4 exposures to x-rays, your should survive and older machine.

Others may smarten me up.

Edited by Michael Hiles

+1 on what Michael says. I've had developed and undeveloped ISO400 films pass through up to 8 sets of x-rays without any problems, and that is after they've  presumablyundergone the intense x-rays that air freight are subject to in getting here to Malaysia / Singapore.

• 3 weeks later...

Too late as you say. Pushing to 1600iso does stretch the envelope re the xray but you will soon know. I would have advised buying another roll since you are travelling and keeping the xrayed film for normal stuff at home that matters not so much.

Good luck with the result.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure I can agree here.

If push processing does pull more exposure influence out of any given film, then xray exposure will be pulled out by (presumably) the same degree of push processing. ie. The xray exposure content will be 'exagerated' as well.