TL2 Glitch

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rob, I have asked for the matter to be reconsidered through an intermediary:  the Leica store employee I bought it from, who happens to be an eminently nice and knowledgeable individual.

Upon further examination, it appears the camera never went to Germany, the "estimate" being printed on Leica Asia-Pacific stationery.  Perhaps the most baffling (and absurd) part of the poorly-written, error-laden estimate is the notation that the Visoflex also has corrosion on the contacts, but that I should "Try to use until it stop [sic] working."

If corrosion on the hot shoe is causing all of the many glitches I've experienced, it seems to me that corrosion on the Visoflex contacts would cause problems on a new hot shoe, were one to be installed.  This is the same Visoflex that works perfectly on my old T.  And it seems to me that if either component had any corrosion while in my possession, I would have noticed it when I cleaned my gear following my recent travel.

And, again, no mention whatsoever of the autofocus issue with the 55-135mm. I'll update as soon as I learn the outcome of my request to reconsider.

Rob

• Like 1

I think it always better to be able to speak to someone, or to have a Leica intermediary run the interference for you. I would also consider writing a well articulated letter to Leica's president/CEO and copying the customer service represenatives on the letter. 

Oftentimes going 'up the chain' of command brings issues that are never presented to those who care, but are otherwise unaware.

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Follow-up on the above . . . 

After an exchange of far too many emails, one of which accused me of "negligence" and "mishandling," a helpful individual at Leica in Germany convinced Leica Asia Pacific (which appears to be a only an "agency" bearing the Leica name) to perform the hot shoe repair at no charge.  

Twice burnt by the TL2, which I actually coddled like no other camera I've ever owned, I arranged to trundle it and all its lenses off at a bargain-basement price upon its return, and I am back using my venerable and reliable R-mount lenses on Sony bodies.

I remain a Leica fan and am appreciative of the support (of sorts) that I got from Wetzlar.  But I will never again do business with Leica Asia Pacific, and I don't see myself buying any new camera model from Leica in the near future. Maybe a second-hand M240, though . . .  ;)

• Like 1

Lesson learnt, I suppose. In future only send repairs directly to Wetzlar. After all, it is only one Fedex day away.

As a warranted item bought at a Leica Asia Pacific store, I returned it to the store.  Whether the item was to be forwarded to Wetzlar was at the discretion of Leica Asia Pacific.

Due to a previous bad experience several years ago with a non-warranted modification that Leica Asia Pacific had forwarded to Germany, I would have preferred to send camera, lens, and Visoflex directly to Wetzlar.  But had I done so, I would have had to pay the carrier 7% GST on the total of insured value plus shipping, plus a surcharge for collecting the levy.  Last time I did that, it took almost a year of administrative hassles to get a refund of the GST.

Lessons learned were:

1) Don't do any business whatsoever with Leica Asia Pacific, as it is not "Leica Camera AG."

2) Limit my Leica purchases to analog (non-electronic) lenses and equipment (0-for-2 with the TL2, and the issue of the 55-135mm lens autofocusing inaccurately on my TL2 was completely ignored by LAP).

I reiterate that I am still a very happy user of Leica lenses.  And as this is ostensibly a forum for people who enjoy Leica products, I'll let this post be my coda on this subject.

• Like 1