TL2 Glitch

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wanted to share my recent experience with the TL2 in case others have encountered it. I bought the “used” TL2 from Leica Miami. It was updated with the new firmware before being sent to me. I spent Christmas Day trying to get to work. I charged the battery fully, put it in the camera to set it up and it froze on the language designation screen. I took out the battery and it was drained. I recharged it and went through the same drill repeatedly. I even tried my functioning TL battery. No go. I returned the camera to Leica Miami the next day. They reported it worked fine when they got it. I felt the fool.

Still, they had promised to replace it with a new one and updated the firmware before shipping it. The new one froze on them in exactly the same way I experienced it. Now, I’ll get my money back but am without the TL2 I had sought. Other than a personal curse being the explanation for my woes, has anyone else suddenly got a TL2 paperweight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. I do have the EVF for my TL but I never attached it to the TL2, or a lens for that matter. I quite literally never got beyond setting the language designation in the set up. I had read about the EVF interaction glitch earlier in the summer. The freeze up sounds the same but the cause is different. You are absolutely right about the value of dealing with a reputable dealer. Leica Miami has been great.

Mine hasn't bricked itself yet, but it's been full of glitches during the past few weeks, including a couple of freezes and once resetting itself to default settings on restart. Leica replied to my query with a request that I send the body, Visoflex, and 55-135 back to them, which I will do as soon as  I get back home.

Leica Miami reports that the freeze up occurs when there is no lens on the camera and the firmware is updated. Apparently, having a lens on the camera prevents the freeze. Odd bug. Now that we know, TL2 will be coming back to me. Happy New Year!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica Miami reports that the freeze up occurs when there is no lens on the camera and the firmware is updated. Apparently, having a lens on the camera prevents the freeze. Odd bug. Now that we know, TL2 will be coming back to me. Happy New Year!

I suppose you would not have had much use for the TL2 without a lens attached so surely you can live with the oddity.  

On a more serious note, that's good news.  

Rob

• Like 1

That could be relevant to what I'm experiencing with my TL2 as well, since most anomalies occur on days when I do many lens changes. At least once I was aware I'd changed lenses without switching the camera off, and there could have been other such instances. While most brands tolerate that without issues, the TL2 may not.

Finding that the issues stem from user error on my part would be preferable to having buggy firmware as the problem, as user error is much easier to "fix"!

• Like 2

After my TL2 reset itself, I noticed that it was markedly slower, especially on start-up and wake-up, taking 4-5 seconds in each instance.

This, my second TL2, came with firmware 1.1 installed, and I had updated it to 1.2.  Here's what I saw when I checked it today:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This looks like the end of the line for me with the TL2.  I'll rely on my slow but trusty T until I find another solution.

Good luck with it, Rob, and Happy New Year.

Rob

Happy New Year to you, too, Rob!

Rob, my experience with this camera is not indicative of my experiences with other Leica products, nor am I trying to "slam" it on these pages.  If it is unable to handle lens changes on the fly, its settings change with lens changes in ways that make it difficult to use, and it occasionally freezes or balks at starting or waking without apparent reason, then I can accept that as just being the way Leica made it.  However, it means the camera is not nimble enough to meet my needs in the field.

It then becomes just a matter of choosing a camera that isn't similarly fraught, in this instance perhaps a full-frame body with which I can put my R-mount glass back to work.

I'm not sure that you do not have a "lemon" TL.

But under any circumstance, if you are to compare it to the SL it will certainly come up short.  Maybe a SL is the right choice for you at this point, though, you certainly had spectacular results with the TL. 

Good luck with moving forward.

Rob

• Like 1

I suppose you would not have had much use for the TL2 without a lens attached so surely you can live with the oddity.

On a more serious note, that's good news.

Rob

I’ve had the TL2 back for a week. It’s working fine. I’ve posted some shots in the flower thread. I do enjoy the improvements over the TL. So far I’ve only used the macro and 18-55 lenses. All good. Again, applause for Leica Miami! Great service.

• Like 3

I too have had my new TL2 for only a few days now .. however, everything is working fine so far. I will be traveling for the next ten days.. this is the shake down cruise so to speak. I will post when I get back from Mexico around the 21st of the month.

Rick

Well, after sending my TL2, Visoflex, and 55-135mm lens in to Leica, I have received a speedy response, though an extremely unfavorable one.

Leica wants $535 to replace the hot shoe, not covered by warranty because of "corrosion."  No comment whatsoever was made about any remedy for the 55-135's inaccurate focusing.

The camera has never been used in rain and when not in use is kept in an electronic dry cabinet in a climate-controlled residence.

Even if I don't follow through with the repair, I will still have to pay a $180 service charge for the "privilege" of learning the hard way that Leica's warranty is worthless.

I have sent an email asking Leica to reconsider.  If they don't repair it under warranty, I'm done with the TL system and will never again buy new Leica gear of any kind.

• Like 2