Go Figure

New vs Old > M9 sensor lines increase after Leica USA repair

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Further, here is an image shot with the M9's new-gen sensor. 

underexposed at ISO 640, and pushed to around an equivalent ISO of 12800.

The banding is not nearly as obvious as what I've seen the old-gen sensor produced at a mere 2-stop push when paired with a 32GB 94mb/sec SD card or a 1st-gen Toshiba WIFI SD card.

Lovely tones! Better than my film M night shots with 400 pushed @3200.

Bottom line ... after the holidays I spoke to my contact @ Leica > he confirmed that some sensors perform not as good as others > they changed the sensor again  > got it back yesterday ( after sending it in in June of last year and then again in November)

3rd sensor performs as expected   ... Go figure

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By nihilisation
      Hello everyone, 
      I just spotted some white particles on the far edge/periphery of one of the lens element of my summarit 75 2.5 .
      I bought this lens used two months ago and at the time I could not see anything. I cannot say 100% but I suspect those particles were not present.
      They are hard to perceived. I only spotted them while taking pictures of my first born this morning when I was about to fit the cap onto the lens and had a look at inside.
      The sun was very bright and I could perfectly see them, them were almost shining like crystals ??
      Pictures are not affected at all and I am only worried for the case of a fungus. I do not care about dust, but this is the first time I see something like this, hence me asking for your help/advises.
      Because they are on the far periphery of the lens element they are hard to picture. For the pictures below I had to flash the front element with a led light and it creates some ghosts/artefacts.
      For instance you can see that this "line" of particles appears twice, mirroring itself onto the next lens element. They only appear on one side of the lens and I also pictured the other "clean" side as a reference. 
      Pictures are not great but this is what I have for now. 
      I Thank you for input and wish you a pleasant week,
      Best,
      Fabien
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Sarka
      Dear all, I am totall new to the leica digital world. I currently brought a M9 in a excellent condition. But one thing makes me a little bit wondering: sometimes the LCD display shows me pictures with strange rings. It happened very often when I shoot in-door under poor/artificial light source. the rings disappeared when I shoot under higher iso (1600 or higher). 

Leica Care told me it is normal. The camera have to compress the original photo extremely to be able to show it on this small LCD screen. Due to the bad resolution and colour depth of the compressed picture, these rings may appears. 

The explanation by Leica is quite OK. But yesterday I have the chance to try a Leica M8.2. It doesn’t show any rings when shooting under the same condition. Now I am really confused.
      Can anyone tell me if it is normal bei M9 or my LCD is somehow defect?
      Thanks s lot for your help!
      Best regards 
      Frank

• By T Paul
      I recently purchased a Leica M9,  that appears to possibly be the first M9 produced.  Serial number is 3803501.  The camera appears  to be in like new condition with all original packaging.
      I purchased the camera to use,  not sit in a a collection.  My thoughts are:  Even though it is a digital camera, does it have significant collectors value that would make a mistake to use it as an every day camera?    Is it likely that digital cameras will never have significant collectors value?    I would  appreciate anybody's thoughts.
      Tim

• By Daedalus2000
      I am selling my M9 (and my M10-D in another advert) as I have decided to upgrade to the M10-R. It is in mint condition. I got it directly from Leica but I do not have the box, I think I only have the camera and charger. The rangefinder seems to work fine.
      It has the new sensor (latest version).
      I added photos of the camera. The lens is not included, just the body.
      Collection in SW London or I will ship it to you. No returns, but happy to answer any questions you have asap, to help you with your decision.

• By Topsy
      Hi all,
      Not sure there is any solution to this but my M9 screen has started to show what appear to be dead pixels, to be clear they are not on the photo but are the screen pixels. (excuse crappy phone photo). Anyone seen this before or have any idea if it is fixable. To be fair it isn't a show stopper since I rarely use the screen except in tricky light to check exposure which is still doable.
      Any comments/advice welcome but I fear I will have to put up with it until it eventually dies. Shame as it has an new style sensor and otherwise works fine.