Go Figure

New vs Old > M9 sensor lines increase after Leica USA repair

Fresh battery and same SD card ?

The M9 supply regulation always seemed on the edge.

Even Apple admitted to throttling phones with older batteries that could not hold output voltage at current peaks.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think, the only issue here is looking at images with wrong exposure.

I hope, OP wouldn't mind if I'll add another one

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4519/38119465172_4f0561d03c_o.jpg&key=634a51e6a051df616e5020979aca264eeec4727661c059354cf3098afb5d2c53">

Fresh battery and same SD card ?

The M9 supply regulation always seemed on the edge.

Even Apple admitted to throttling phones with older batteries that could not hold output voltage at current peaks.

In fact it was a brand new SD card bought the same day I picked up the camera from the Leica store.  I have so many test shots by now that we can safely rule out battery status as well.

I was just hoping that someone else would have checked her/his sensor and compared with the old sensor images.

according to that logic there should be even less sensor lines

Let’s see the full size image.

In fact it was a brand new SD card bought the same day I picked up the camera from the Leica store.  .

New does not necessarily mean better or equivalent:

I stick to older, slower, small capacity SD cards as the seemed to be less likely to produce.banding than the latest ultra fast cards.

When you underexpose a CCD sensor you may get banding; that is normal.The amount of banding depends on the amount of underexposure.  These shots are taken at different times, thus under different light so they tell us exactly nothing.

The only difference between the old and the new type of sensor is the cover glass, so it is highly unlikely that there is any change in noise behaviour between the two.

When you underexpose a CCD sensor you may get banding; that is normal.The amount of banding depends on the amount of underexposure.  These shots are taken at different times, thus under different light so they tell us exactly nothing.

The only difference between the old and the new type of sensor is the cover glass, so it is highly unlikely that there is any change in noise behaviour between the two.

so which one of the two would you think is MORE normal ?

New does not necessarily mean better or equivalent:

I stick to older, slower, small capacity SD cards as the seemed to be less likely to produce.banding than the latest ultra fast cards.

shooting multiple Leica M8 since 2006 I went through all kinds of SD episodes (so yes when it matters and I do not want to deal with lost images I resort to 2GB SD cards )

which exact make do you use ? ( please attach image of card )

From personal experience I can say that it does no harm

taking a few test shots before sending your camera in.

Color Checker

Auto Exposure

Bracket 0.-1,-3

ISO160

Tungsten Light

AWB

I have seen my camera for a total of 3 days since having it sent to NJ through the Leica Store in June 2017

in fact the camera is still in NJ as we speak ...

.... and I have a feeling that this is still not the end of it.

Go Figure !

I have not noticed any radical difference in underexposed areas between the two generations of sensors. I have been using the same SD card. 

My personal experience is that increased banding in M9 images has always been an issue with the SD card rather than the camera. 

Further, here is an image shot with the M9's new-gen sensor. 

underexposed at ISO 640, and pushed to around an equivalent ISO of 12800.

The banding is not nearly as obvious as what I've seen the old-gen sensor produced at a mere 2-stop push when paired with a 32GB 94mb/sec SD card or a 1st-gen Toshiba WIFI SD card.

Edited by Rus

I applied for personalized plates for my 1958 Bug. They said FEATURE.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By strangeboy
      Hello.
      I'm interested in hearing from anyone whose made the move from an M9/M-E to a 262.
      How are you feeling about your decision?
      I've recently replaced the sensor in my M-E, which included a full CLA from Leica, NJ. It feels like a new camera, but I'm also reminded of the only gripe I've ever really had about it: Limited ISO performance. I max out at 1200, but even that can turn a Summer afternoon into a snowy day in B/W. I'd love to (when necessary) shoot between 1600 & 3200 without the resulting photograph becoming an exploration in Pointillism.
      In addition, weather sealing and the larger sensor seem like a plus.
      Let the CCD vs CMOS debate begin!
      So good people...
      What say you?
      Thanx!
    • By onasj
      With the important caveat that this post is largely speculation, let's anticipate the performance characteristics of the M10-R sensor.
      The Leica S3 sensor is 45x30 mm (1350 sq mm) and the DNG files are 9816 x 6512, for a total pixel count of 63,921,792 pixels, or 47,349 pixels per sq mm
      The Leica M10 Monochrom sensor is 36 x 24 mm (864 sq mm) and the DNG files are 7864 x 5200 = 40,892,800 pixels, or 47,330 pixels per sq mm.
      The pixel density of the two sensors is so similar that I assume the discrepancy comes from non-scaling edge usage factors, and/or small 0.01 mm-scale rounding errors in sensor size.
      So if we assume that the S3 sensor and the M10 Monochrom sensor come from the same process, differing only in size and the presence of the Bayer color filter array in the former, then it's reasonable to assume the M10-R sensor also comes from the same process, and is basically a 36 x 24 mm crop of the S3 sensor (as others have hypothesized in this forum previously).  
      If this reasoning is correct, then you can expect the M10-R sensor to be the same as the M10M sensor, plus a Bayer CFA, and to perform more or less the same as the S3 sensor on a per-square-mm basis.  Therefore, I would expect:
      - DNG files that are 7864 x 5200 = 40,892,800 pixels
      - Dual gain design
      - 4.6 µm pixel pitch
      - Base ISO = 100
      - ISO range = 100-50,000 (basically one stop lower than the 160-100,000 ISO range of the M10 Monochrom, as one might predict from the lack of the Bayer CFA in the M10M)
      - 14 bits per pixel
      Good ISO 12,500 photos and decent ISO 25,000 photos would be terrific, and a significant improvement over the M10/M10-P, as noted here:
      https://photorumors.com/2019/01/20/mega-shootout-sony-leica-and-phase-one-comparison/
    • By LeonTheFirst
      Here are some photos of Pasvik (near Norilsk), I took in my Leica Q2. What a wonderful camera! I am really satisfied with it 

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Jonsekulla
      Hi all, 
      does anyone know what is going on here?
      All of sudden every photo is like this or a different shape with sometimes a bit of the actual image
      sensor?
      sd card?
      processor?
      any help before sending it away would be much appreciated!

• By Haze70
      Hallo in die Runde
      Ich habe mal eine Frage. Ist bei jemanden schon mal das Glas im Bajonett was zur Objektivabtastung gehört, kaputt gegangen? Bei meiner zeigte sich erst ein kleiner Art schwarzer Streifen. Die Kamera erkannte aber noch die Objektive korrekt. Dann bemerkte ich, dass Sie immer mal wieder ein und das selbe Objektiv mit unterschiedlichen Exif angaben abspeicherte. Darauf habe ich gesehen, dass es anscheinend an einer Ecke sich das Glas vom Bajonett gelöst hatte. Daraufhin habe ich die Kamera über meinen Händler zu Leica eingeschickt, weil ich noch Garantie hatte. Jetzt kam von Leica die Rückmeldung, das es sich nicht um einen Garantieschaden handelt und es repariert werden muss. Jetzt ist natürlich mein Problem. Ist das Bajonett an der Stelle so empfindlich, ich weiß beim besten willen nicht, wie ich hätte den Schaden erzeugen soll. Leider. Das trübt extrem die Nutzbarkeit für mich, da traut man sich ja nicht mehr das Objektiv zu wechseln. Ich habe keine Adapter, nur M Linsen von Leica und Voigtländer benutzt. 
      Kennt jemand das Problem. laut Aussage von Leica wäre es im Promillebereich im Customer Care aufgetreten. Ich wundere mich nur, dass die Kamera so empfindlich sein soll. Schade eigentlich.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Read more about our Privacy Policy