D Lux 109 EVF question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I finally picked up a D Lux 109 secondhand from Ken Hansen in NYC. I'm really enjoying the camera but find the EVF frustrating as it is impossible to get the entire field in focus. If a setting is in focus (for instance aperture OR shutter, but not both), the center of the image is not. if the center is focus, everything else is blurry. If I move my eye to different parts of the screen I can see that certain part in focus, but nothing else. Is this normal for the DLux 109? I have the Olympus VF2 for my X Vario and never experienced this but wanted to reach out and see what more experienced users say.

Thanks as always for your help!

So I finally picked up a D Lux 109 secondhand from Ken Hansen in NYC. I'm really enjoying the camera but find the EVF frustrating as it is impossible to get the entire field in focus. If a setting is in focus (for instance aperture OR shutter, but not both), the center of the image is not. if the center is focus, everything else is blurry. If I move my eye to different parts of the screen I can see that certain part in focus, but nothing else. Is this normal for the DLux 109? I have the Olympus VF2 for my X Vario and never experienced this but wanted to reach out and see what more experienced users say.

Thanks as always for your help!

Hello,

unfortunately, this is normal for this camera. Also I own the VF2 and there the picture is completely sharp. This is a problem with Panasonic and its cameras.

I have it on my D109 too.

Regards
Bernd
Germany
  • Like 1

At the right edge of the viewfinder is a thumb where (well, the outer edge of one) which adjusts the diopter of the viewfinder.  In the record mode while looking through the viewfinder rotate the thumbwheel until you get the best focus.

• Like 1

Thanks, Bernd, that is what I thought but wanted to confirm with other users.

And thanks Stu, but I tried the diopter wheel first and it does not remedy this issue. Only a portion of the screen is in focus which is the issue.

• Like 1

It is not normal at all. All i can say is a batch of LX100 and DL109 had problems with the diopter wheel a couple of years ago. My LX100 was affected and the solution i found was to exert some force on the diopter wheel when it reaches its stop to the left and/or to the right i don't remember well. Worked fine for me but some cameras had to return to Panasonic or Leica.

• Like 1

Retrieved my post from 2014:

You should get 10 clicks when turning the diopter adjustment dial.
If you get 7 clicks only, you may wish to cycle the dial from end to end several times and/or turn it fully clockwise or anticlockwise and exert some force on it at its extreme position.
Not sure if it still works three years later but it costs nothing to give it a try.
  • Like 1

By Jove, I think you got it! My EVF had the full 10 clicks but after pressing on the diopter dial at both ends it improved the view! The blurry effect was greatly lessened and I can now see things in focus. Thanks LCT!

I’m glad you solved the problem, I just checked my 109 and the EVF is entirely in focus, I really don’t believe Panasonic has an EVF problem.