Probability that Leica will increase AF speed w software update?

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To those who have tried the CL, it is apparent that the AF speed is faster than that of the TL2.  

What is the probability that Leica will increase AF speed w a software update?

How 'possible' is this?  Why would they not do it?  Or, will the TL be doomed to being the less capable 'cousin'?  

Does it not have to compete with the CL in this regard to stay as a viable purchase option?

Just appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

Rob

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To those who have tried the CL, it is apparent that the AF speed is faster than that of the TL2.  

How 'possible' is this?  Why would they not do it?  Or, will the TL be doomed to being the less capable 'cousin'?  

Does it not have to compete with the CL in this regard to stay as a viable purchase option?

Rob

I rather doubt that Leica wants it to compete with the CL. The are probably aiming for divergence. The CL more "traditional" and tool-like, the T series more life-style.

• Like 1

I rather doubt that Leica wants it to compete with the CL. The are probably aiming for divergence. The CL more "traditional" and tool-like, the T series more life-style.

Thanks, Jaap.

I think you are absolutely correct, but if there is a significant performance difference in AF speed then it would make the 2 cameras less inherently compatible.  

Why not improve the AF speed with a software update if it is possible?

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

I no longer have the TL2, but from comments by others here I understood the TL2's AF speed had already improved with the latest firmware.

James,

That is not my experience with the newest software; I see no change. I think the update was only intended to  accommodate for the 18mm pancake lens. (Keep posting those great CL photos.)

Rob

• Like 1

i have the T [701] these is no change in Af speed with the 23mm after the latest Fw update.

the sensor is different on the TL2..so im guessing the T & TL are gonna be on the backburner for leica

depending on which sensor they're using on the TL2, maybe they can active phase detect AF on-Sensor via Firmware...like sony did with the Axxxx series...but i do find it highly unlikely

James,

That is not my experience with the newest software; I see no change. I think the update was only intended to  accommodate for the 18mm pancake lens. (Keep posting those great CL photos.)

Rob

• Like 1

Rob

This is certainly wishful.

The CL power dissipation is slightly larger than TL2 is is much larger than T and TL. It also seems CL has much faster processor than T/TL/TL2. 

So I suspect the CL has a stronger processor and AF supporting infrastructure. If this is true, SW alone is not enough.  TL2, especially T or TL, would be hard to match CL's performance.  

• Like 1

This is certainly wishful.

The CL power dissipation is slightly larger than TL2 is is much larger than T and TL. It also seems CL has much faster processor than T/TL/TL2.

So I suspect the CL has a stronger processor and AF supporting infrastructure. If this is true, SW alone is not enough. TL2, especially T or TL, would be hard to match CL's performance.

The processor is the same, the Maestro II.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good if it has the processor. But what cause it needs more power? The built in EVF?

If so, there should be no technical reason TL2 to be slower than CL. I doubt Leica wants to discriminate TL line to favor the CL.

I assume Leica is positioning them almost equally capable in picture taking, only different in the stylish or user IF.

Edited by Einst_Stein

the UHS-2 interface probably eats more power..and the EVF

Good if it has the processor. But what cause it needs more power? The built in EVF?

If so, there should be no technical reason TL2 to be slower than CL. I doubt Leica wants to discriminate TL line to favor the CL.

I assume Leica is positioning them almost equally capable in picture taking, only different in the stylish or user IF.

To release a modern-but-slow-to-AF-for-modern-standards camera for highest price the APS-C world ever heard of and cut the SW performance updates after 1/2 year or so would be very strange but it looks like Leica is doing exactly that. Sluggish TL2 AF doesn't make CL better. It makes TL2 pitiable and it makes Leica loose it's timeless appearance. That's not how you build trust and keep customers.

I know dozens of Fuji users who gave up on their Nikons and Canons (and probably most of all: Leicas) exactly because of Fuji's great customer support. "Man they just added new features and faster AF to my 2/3 year old camera even though the new model isn't that new anymore".

Still slow to focus

Still no way to use it with additional lights

I did install the 1.7 firmware on the T two days ago.

I have noticed the camera is more responsive overall. Start and shutdown is way faster. I think it takes about 0.5 sec where it was about a second before or a bit more. If a turn on the camera and press shuter release directly it takes about 1.5sec to go turn on and take the shot which is acceptable for a camera like the T. So all good for me.

Also, I have noticed that when I deactivate (turn off) the automatic picture review in the menu the blackout effect anytime I take a picture is just about 1/4 of a second which is much more acceptable than the full second it took before even it was deactivated. That is a big step up in use. I can make this time even shorter by lowering JPEG quality but I decided not to.

I also feel reviewing pictures with the touch sensitive screen is less laggy.

Firmware 1.7 also updated all my lenses.

I cannot tell if it had a positive effect on speed but after reading some interesting stuff online I tweaked my T settings and find AF to be faster than it was before.

Simple tweaks made :

I use to use AF spot and figured out it has more difficulties to lock focus than with the bigger square single AF. You lose in control but it locks focus much easier under difficult light.

Things that I could not find out :

It seems there is no focus peaking.

It seems there is still no way to deactivate exposure preview (exposure simulation before taking the shot).

Reading the manual :

I read the manual entirely...which I never do (my bad) and learn abiut some features I didnt expect from the T. So all in all it is always good to take the time to read...even the T is so simplist at furst sight that it feels it is unneeded.