resources for learning about B+W shooting?

retcheto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm selling my M-P240 because it turns out I love b+w. I was going to get an M10, but now I'm debating between the MM1 and MM2

Does anyone have any good recommendations for learning about how to use color filters for b+w photography properly? books or sites would be great, thanks! Any other b+w learning resources would be awesome too

Not sure how far along you are on digital, but best place to learn to get the most out of your b/w images, many tutorials on YouTube on post processing in Lightroom. I would also recommend studying Ansel Adams and buying books by him. Working with images out of these cameras is different than converting color to b/w, since no color channels.

Michael Freeman's book is quite good: https://www.amazon.com/Black-White-Photography-Field-Guide/dp/0415833515/ref=sr_1_25?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1514310910&sr=1-25&keywords=michael+freeman+photography+books The link is for the Field Guide, a pocket-sized book I bought at a museum bookshop, but I believe there is a larger format edition as well.

Just don't pay attention for colours. After switching to bw media, mode it will come naturally.

With bw it is main subject and else.

Learn your lens and camera, at some point you will know what is the best. I prefer minimal edit for bw. And all Leica M cameras are capable to deliver files like this.

Today you do not need a book to learn a usage of color filters.  All you need for a first step are an iPhone/iPad and a SnapSeed program.  Then you can take any photo, load into SnapSeed and start your education. You need to choose b\w conversion, than in parameters select particular color filter and apply it to conversion process.  Certain areas would be lighter, certain darker - it all depends on combination of object color and selected color filter.  After a bunch of samples you'll learn effect of the specific color filter in general.  

It might be a good training technique - while drinking cup of coffee make a snapshot of a particular subject, convert pic to monochrome in a SnapSeed and see - how it looks in monochrome. 

Next step - practice. You need to get a good filter, screw it on you lense and shoot.  Orange B+W MRC filter might be a good starting point - if you like additional contrast. 

Before you sell your 240, play around in Silver Efex. It will convert the image to BW, but you'll also see little circles in various colors that will show filter effects. The circles are meant to simulate add-on filters, as discussed here

Otherwise, Google or YouTube a bit and you'll find lots of info. 

Not that you asked, but I owned an MM1, and while I loved it, if I were in the market again, I'd choose a color camera and convert. Of course, if you can swing owning both....

John 

Edited by johnwolf

I'm selling my M-P240 because it turns out I love b+w. I was going to get an M10, but now I'm debating between the MM1 and MM2

Does anyone have any good recommendations for learning about how to use color filters for b+w photography properly? books or sites would be great, thanks! Any other b+w learning resources would be awesome too

Ansel Adams... Ansel Adams... or Ansel Adams