Amsterdam, Leica shop and possible meetup ?

tonyniev

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My wife and I will be in Amsterdam on the 13 January for a week. This is just a vacation and we have no set plans. Just for fun we decided to revisit the city we first visited 41 years ago in January 1977 and again in the summer in the mid 80's..

I would like to window shop at one of the Leica shops looking for used lenses. Which location would be near the center of town?

Maybe I can meetup with some of the local Leica shooters. Suggestions where and when to meet would be approciated to.  Let me know if possible.

Thanks 

My wife and I will be in Amsterdam on the 13 January for a week. This is just a vacation and we have no set plans. Just for fun we decided to revisit the city we first visited 41 years ago in January 1977 and again in the summer in the mid 80's..

I would like to window shop at one of the Leica shops looking for used lenses. Which location would be near the center of town?

Maybe I can meetup with some of the local Leica shooters. Suggestions where and when to meet would be approciated to. Let me know if possible.

Thanks

Hi Tony,

In terms of second hand shops in Amsterdam, there's not too much to be honest. You could try Nivo Schweitzer on the Harlemmerdijk. There is another place in the Center of Amsterdam, called Foto Professional, but I would strongly to advise you to steer clear as a tourist.

I'll be around at that time and would be happy to meet you again. If there is a specific lens you are looking for I could make some enquiries at the various online shops were have. A very well known (but often expensive) is Schouten cameras. Selection is second to none....

Regards

Simon

• Like 1

Simon just window shopping no particular lens in mind... It would be very nice to meetup, kindly select the day and time and we will make sure to meet you...I dont have a hotel yet,I will PM you once I have a confirmed reservation.

Sunday would work best for me. I'll see if anyone else wants to meet up as well

... and not just as a tourist.

Foto Professional for window-shopping the shop is alright, but when you set foot in the shop ....don't...

I can highly recommend Leica Boutique Lisse- it's a 50 minute busride + 10 minutes walk from Amsterdam Airport ( Schiphol ) They have a lot of used and special collectors gear, 

Niveau Schweizer is also a very good shop. 

• Like 1

11am on Sunday 14th works for me. If you can let me know which hotel you are staying at we can either meet there, or somewhere close by.

Any other local forum members want to meet for lunch and a quick walk around the city?

Edited by DigitalHeMan
  • Like 1

11am on Sunday 14th works for me. If you can let me know which hotel you are staying at we can either meet there, or somewhere close by.

Any other local forum members want to meet for lunch and a quick walk around the city?

we are at the Times Hotel on herengracht

Foto Professional for window-shopping the shop is alright, but when you set foot in the shop ....don't...

I can highly recommend Leica Boutique Lisse- it's a 50 minute busride + 10 minutes walk from Amsterdam Airport ( Schiphol ) They have a lot of used and special collectors gear, 

Niveau Schweizer is also a very good shop. 

+1 They have the worst reputation of any camera shop I know - and justly so as far as I can see.

Hi Tony,

Happy new year to you.

A new Leica boutique opened in Amsterdam on the Van Baerlestraat.  Very nice.  A bit dangerous though, as the PC Hooftstraat is around the corner.  It is dangerous as it has luxury high end fashion shops and jewellery. Stay away from Foto Professional.  Two decades ago I found my camera in their window, after my house was cleaned out involuntary. The guy that is in charge is the son of the (previous) owner and may have a preference for coke, the type that goes through the nose.  Nivo Schweitzer (Haarlemmerstraat, close to the central station) I can highly recommend from personal experience. Highly knowledgable, most of them practising photographers. 

Best

Lars 

• Like 1

Noted and Thanks

Leica Store Lisse is highly recommendable because of their impressive collection of modern and historic Leica’s.

They have quite some “holy grales” in their collection, meaning: Leica’s from famous photographers.

They are publishing books and have good coffee in unlimited quantities.

Above that the owner is involved in the development of the digital Rolleiflex and has interesting stories to tell in this respect.

(I only do not understand why such an impressive store is vested in a place like Lisse....).