Extraordinary Queensferry Bridge 1890

war

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Firth of Forth Railway Bridge

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Q

• Like 6

Very nice and the glory of this location is that side by side you have wonderful examples of 19th, 20th and 21st Century bridge building excellence.

Thanks. All three are exemplary structures but this cantilever is my favorite, way ahead of its time. The Falkirk Wheel is next on my list. 

Just read about the Tay Bridge disaster and it happened on this day in 1879. Nice images.

Thank you. Quite a coincidence about the date 138 years later. The engineer that designed the Tay bridge almost got to do the Forth as well, lucky he was fired in time or we might be looking at something quite different. (or perhaps another disaster)

Very nice and the glory of this location is that side by side you have wonderful examples of 19th, 20th and 21st Century bridge building excellence.

I found an image of all three bridges over the Forth, please excuse the specks on the sensor.

• Like 5

He seemed to not account for "wind loading" or he just disregarded it.

There were also signicant structural voids in the casting of the wrought iron girders that were filled in with a wax like substance and painted over to conceal the defects.  The best book I have read about this is "The High Girders" by John Preble.   On a related note about wind loading in a much more recent setting read this article about the Citibank building in NYC.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1995/05/29/the-fifty-nine-story-crisis

Edited by peterbengtson
  • Like 1

There were also signicant structural voids in the casting of the wrought iron girders that were filled in with a wax like substance and painted over to conceal the defects.  The best book I have read about this is "The High Girders" by John Preble.   On a related note about wind loading in a much more recent setting read this article about the Citibank building in NYC.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1995/05/29/the-fifty-nine-story-crisis

Yes as with most structural failures multiple factors were involved and Bouch should not have had to accept full responsibility for the disaster. When you consider the number of significant and spectacular groundbreaking structures that exist around us failures are very rare. For those interested in this sort of thing I would recommend "Why buildings Fall Down" by Mario Salvadori. Lots of easy to understand diagrams.

Here's another photo of the Forth Bridge (still standing)

• Like 1

I think the first design was not built (a suspension bridge design by Thomas Bouch).  The reason for this was the collapse of the Tay bridge by the same gentleman. 

The second is of a cantilever design.

"The bridge was designed by Sir John Fowler and Sir Benjamin Baker and built by Sir William Arrol & Co, a Glasgow-based company. Much credit, however, has been given to Sir Benjamin Baker and his co-worker Allan Stewart for designing and supervising the construction work."  source: www.railway-technology.com  

• Like 1