How many S shooters still shoot FF or less??

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It maybes answers your own liking or not liking of your own S camera. My S camera works perfectly as a walk about camera and as a camera on a tripod..........I have no need for a long lens on my S I have that on my Nikon

As for f1.4 I get that with my S120 :) :) :)

Neil

Neil

I am not aware of there is a S120 a f1.4 lens. 

S system is a great system and I love mine. However, until now, the AF is not very fast, and once there is multiple layer underneath the big center AF point, it can get confused and not able to correct focusing. AF can also potentially fail in filed. Mirror action is quit strong that I found sometime 2S delay is not enough for my 100, 120 and 180 at 1/60S below if I didn't bring cable release. Shutter delay is still noticeable for decisive moment shooting.  

Mandatory Noise reduction can be a real pain during dynamic light change shooting condition such as Sunrise or Sunset. 

Because of sensor Low light performance, system handhold-ability and lens speed, the system need light. S007 improved upon it but shooting envelope is still not as good as latest FF camera. It is a nice system(maybe the best) for studio product or fashion shooting or one of better landscape system (consider lenses here) if you willing to carry big tripod, head, filter set and a set of 3~4 lenses with body(maybe even two). (that is about 30 lbs without other stuff). Which I did. but think back now, If I do a whole day hike around mountain, I either need cut off the load with less focal length coverage or less stable tripod, no filter or I will bring my FF Nikon/Sony system with zoom, a trade off everybody need think of. At f8~f11 shooting aperture, I am sure I will fail blind test given Nikon is 45M, Canon is 50M and Sony is 42M. 

Just offer some thoughts to think about.  

My brother-in-law is an eminent celebrity portrait photographer. He has been moving from the S to the SL in recent months, especially as he has been doing more video. But whenever he gets to shoot with the S(006), he wishes the other ones would just go away.

We compared the 007 vs 006 for his uses, and there was no advantage to the 007. He always uses lights, either strobe or continuous.

If you'd like to see his work, markmannphoto.com.

We're both ready to get an 008. He knows what's coming. I'm taking his word for it.

--Matt

Really, I'm not kidding. He's very well connected with Leica... :)

Wow, Matt!  Those are some incredible images taken by your brother-in-law, Mark.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

One more consideration for me in choosing a complementary system to my M cameras is the ability to still shoot handheld, even in less than bright light. The SL zooms with OIS, unlike the S lenses, greatly expand that shooting envelope. Handheld, I'd rather have no shake than have a bigger sensor with more restricted shooting or a fuzzy pic.

Jeff

My brother-in-law is an eminent celebrity portrait photographer. He has been moving from the S to the SL in recent months, especially as he has been doing more video. But whenever he gets to shoot with the S(006), he wishes the other ones would just go away.

We compared the 007 vs 006 for his uses, and there was no advantage to the 007. He always uses lights, either strobe or continuous.

We're both ready to get an 008. He knows what's coming. I'm taking his word for it.

--Matt

27450280819_8ac72ff642_b.jpg

He's really good!

I very much enjoyed his website. My wife and son more so as they recognised almost everyone he had photographed.

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One more consideration for me in choosing a complementary system to my M cameras is the ability to still shoot handheld, even in less than bright light. The SL zooms with OIS, unlike the S lenses, greatly expand that shooting envelope. Handheld, I'd rather have no shake than have a bigger sensor with more restricted shooting or a fuzzy pic.

Jeff

Jeff

I shot my S007 in Japan 95% of the time hand held....... no fuzziness here

http://neilsphotography.co.uk/blog/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'> http://neilsphotography.co.uk/blog/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

--Matt

27450280819_8ac72ff642_b.jpg

Wonderful portrait work at your link. Thank you very much.
  • Like 1

Jeff

I shot my S007 in Japan 95% of the time hand held....... no fuzziness here

http://neilsphotography.co.uk/blog/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'> http://neilsphotography.co.uk/blog/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All in decent light with static subjects and shot with primes. But if I wanted a zoom to avoid carrying multiple primes, the SL with 24-90 smokes the S and S 30-90 in flexibility.... OIS, no mirror slap, broader focal length range, and the 30-90 doesn't earn the IQ praise within the S lens arsenal that the 24-90 offers within the SL toolkit.

The trade off of course is the larger S sensor, but that along with the mirror based OVF comes with compromises. The mirrorless SL also avoids any camera/lens focus calibration issues that exist with mirror based systems like the S (by reading off the sensor), better ensuring focus accuracy across all lenses and focal lengths, especially zooms.

Try handholding an S consistently at 1/30 second.... this can be done on the on the SL, even fairly reliably with the bazooka 90-280 with decent technique.

Always trade offs.

Jeff

• Like 2

I have a Nikon Df with some lenses (20/28/50/85) for low light and light weight shots, nice camera with great results when shooting in low light situations. 

See here:

Nikon Df

1/60

ISO 12800

50mm @ 1.4

24381298857_9153c95388_k.jpg

• Like 1

You're most welcome. I wish I could take credit. He's really amazing.

M

His work really does look amazing. Most impressive indeed.

I enjoyed watching the video he did regarding the Leica S, and his comments about how images off the S almost has a feeling about it that’s more like a scanned film look.

If there is one thing I look most for in a camera, it’s images that look less “digital” and more like scanned “film”. I think smooth rendering is one of Leica’s fortes (maybe a lens rendering thing?) and more noticeable from the images I’ve taken on the S series (compared to digital M).

To answer the OP ..... I’ve yet to take the plunge into MF digital, but when I shortly do I can imagine that I won’t bother with FF after that. Why do I think that? ....in film days, I had a Leica M7, and then got a Hasselblad and then a Mamiya 7 .......for a decade, I shot everything on 120 film and the Leica M7 was an unused back-up. Image quality superiority of 120 film was far too great over 35mm to ignore the slight difference in size and weight of the MF cameras. I don’t think that will change in the digital era for me......

And I shoot 4x5 film a lot.....an Leica S’ weight / usability / convenience look like a walk in the park in comparison!

I do use TL2 and SL quite a lot.

Why? TL2 for its compact size.

advantages SL:

+In low light (50) f1.4 is 1,5 steps ahead of f2.5, or I can even use the Noctilux

+24-90 is very flexible lens for vacation, hiking etc.

+EVF and IS lens are great for handhold movie

+AF-face detection and moving focus point around is great if one needs to be fast

If there is enough light and if you have the right lens with you and if you nail focus I find the S-images the most beautiful (color, rendering, bokeh...), but the IQ of the SL isnt bad and in certain condition much easier to nail the shot.

• Like 1

I still have a use for my SL's when I work. They're fast and flexible. The zooms are fantastic and they work brilliantly with Canon's TS lenses.

However for *personal* work I almost never put 35mm format at the top of the list. For travel it's the X1D, all the way, with either a CL/TL or m43 kit for a complimentary camera. For just walking around the CL seem to be the camera I choose. For serious stuff either the X1D or the S. S if I need battery life, a zoom (even though it's only OK) lens speed etc. X1D for weight, size and travel. If there was a mirrorless S I *might* go all Leica again. Might..... Leica need to sort out the exposure times and LENR.

The real issue is my M's. I adore the cameras. Love the lenses and the files. But I hardly ever use them at the moment. I keep them because I think I'll get back into them but right now my X1D has more shot frames on it than my M10. The CL/TL aren't helping. I honestly thin k I'm getting a bit spoilt and lazy because of the X1D.

m43 I keep for the long lenses. 800mm equiv. Easy. Plus the 1.2 lenses are delicious. This year I'll also get a housing for my Olympus and use it and the spectacular 7-14 f2.8.

So for me if it wasn't for work I'd probably just go miniMF and APSC/m43 and skip 24x36 altogether.

Gordon

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use all three systems: S006 and SL and M10

S is for expensive work, mostly advertising. I shoot Contax 645 lenses on S006 body.

M10 is for ballet and personal work.

SL mostly for video and also for on-location food photography.

To be honest, I could do everything except video with M10, it is that good. S requires studio lighting for the best image quality, and it somewhat limits its use. Probably S007 would have more use given its excellent high ISO performance.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey man,

I don't have the S but I have a Hasselblad H and Phase One.

Personally, I use my M quite a lot though for many reasons and I wouldn't get rid of it entirely. They are very different cameras. Although, hey, maybe the X1D is that camera. Maybe it will replace both the big camera and the little camera one day. But that would be a long term decision for me, at least a year of keeping the FF camera.

Like you say though it can only be right for you, so just do what you feel is right. But I think in general, not rushing into these decisions and selling, where possible, is only a good thing though.

Just curious what you use your H system for as opposed to Phase One.  They are rather similar systems, no?  I shoot with Phase One (IQ3-100).  

Thanks,

Hien

So, the question was would I drop FF for favoring the S. In short, no way. But, I love varied types of photography, mostly documentary and landscape. What I found was the SL was the key.

I take the SL with the S and interchange lenses so I can either use a tripod and big ND filter if I want for landscapes, or mount something on the SL for more walk about. In fact, while the S lenses are superb, the SL focus so much faster I manually focus the S lenses feeling like there is less risk of losing a shot. In this case, everything is weather proof and I’ve shot the S in the snow and light rain and the SL with the 90-280 in the windy heavy rain (surf boarders) with no problems.

On the other side, I grew up with BnW 35mm film and still develop about 75-100 rolls a year. So, I love the M10 with those bodies, or taking the M10 again with the SL and a group of small lenses. The ‘lux 75mm on the SL is fantastic at the beach in high contrast light. The 16-18-21 WATE is also great on both cameras.

So, my choice is more - big kit, little kit - or do I have to carry everything on me (bag or vest) or can I use a hard case (car and location).