How many S shooters still shoot FF or less??

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Question to my Leica S owners.

Since buying and using your Leica S whatever (S2, 006, 007) How many of you still shoot with for example a M or a SL or a Nikon.............Wait I can see the point of keeping shooting a FF Nikon D5 or Canon XYZ for Birding, sports etc etc but for mainly Landscape photography like what I like to shoot, how often would you go out without the S??

For me I am downsizing (again). I am getting rid of all my M lenses, 90% of my Nikon gear and also my 135 M6ttl. I will keep my TL2 for a walk about camera when I go out for dinner or go to the dentist. If I am going out to take serious pictures (in other words if the perps of going out is to take some sort of pictures weather it be landscape, pretty girls or whatever) , if the porous is to take pictures then i will take either my S007 my Hasselblad 503CW or one of my LF film cameras..............I just don't see the point of taking anything less.

I might be missing something here but that is the way that Neil Williams feels right now.

On another note, has anyone tried the Xume magnetic lens adapter/filter holders on there S lenses

Neil

Hi Neil,

I sold my SL not too long ago and replaced it  a used digital back on my  Cambo Actus mini view camera.

I still use my m9 and m9 Titan and do not have any plans to part with them. My everyday and boat camera 

is the Leica X-U (Typ 113) and it is wonderful for what it is designed for.

My DSLR is the S2-P.

Best,

Yevgeny

Hey man,

I don't have the S but I have a Hasselblad H and Phase One.

Personally, I use my M quite a lot though for many reasons and I wouldn't get rid of it entirely. They are very different cameras. Although, hey, maybe the X1D is that camera. Maybe it will replace both the big camera and the little camera one day. But that would be a long term decision for me, at least a year of keeping the FF camera.

Like you say though it can only be right for you, so just do what you feel is right. But I think in general, not rushing into these decisions and selling, where possible, is only a good thing though.

Edited by Paul J

Not an S owner, but in my film days I shot for decades with an M despite simultaneously using various SLRs, medium format as well as large format cameras. Different tools for different kinds of subjects and different shooting and viewing experiences.

If the picture is worthy (and the print does it justice), the viewer doesn't know or care about the gear or process.

That won't change for me in the digital world if and when I add a complementary 'medium format' system (which is mostly mini-medium format compared to film negative sizes).

Jeff

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Hi Neil,

I sold my SL not too long ago and replaced it a used digital back on my Cambo Actus mini view camera.

I still use my m9 and m9 Titan and do not have any plans to part with them. My everyday and boat camera

is the Leica X-U (Typ 113) and it is wonderful for what it is designed for.

My DSLR is the S2-P.

Best,

Yevgeny

Hay Bro

When are you back in Phuket....... I’ll be there from the 15th to the end of the month.

Neil

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I still use my M bodies and lenses. Mostly for street photography..

Albert :D:D:D

Albert is yours a 006 or 007. For me the 006 was hopeless for street but due to the better ISO of the cosmo sensor I find the 007 great for walking around streets here in Asia

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Not an S owner, but in my film days I shot for decades with an M despite simultaneously using various SLRs, medium format as well as large format cameras. Different tools for different kinds of subjects and different shooting and viewing experiences.

If the picture is worthy (and the print does it justice), the viewer doesn't know or care about the gear or process.

That won't change for me in the digital world if and when I add a complementary 'medium format' system (which is mostly mini-medium format compared to film negative sizes).

Jeff

i to like to print my stuff now Jeff and love scanning those 8x10s at 2400 FBI.......... my Mac Pro doesn’t like them but they look just wonderful when printed :)

Neil

Hay Bro

When are you back in Phuket....... I’ll be there from the 15th to the end of the month.

Neil

I am back to Russia for the new year family reunion. Shall be back in January

I will be in touch.

Yevgeny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I am back to Russia for the new year family reunion. Shall be back in January
I will be in touch.

Yevgeny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic......we can go out and shoot some X1D maybe :) 

• Like 1

i to like to print my stuff now Jeff and love scanning those 8x10s at 2400 FBI.......... my Mac Pro doesn’t like them but they look just wonderful when printed :)

Neil

Good, but of course it starts with the picture, and some of the greatest in history were made with small format gear. And today there are some folks using phones for real creative work, not just food pics and selfies. Tools for the job.

Room for everybody.

Jeff

S is big, heavy and slow and more sensitive to shutter shock with mandatory Noise reduction, shutter delay and mirror black out also longer compare to best FF and there is no f1.4 option or f2.8 zoom, there is no long glass with VR. 

So, is this answer your question?

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

S is big, heavy and slow and more sensitive to shutter shock with mandatory Noise reduction, shutter delay and mirror black out also longer compare to best FF and there is no f1.4 option or f2.8 zoom, there is no long glass with VR. 

So, is this answer your question?

It maybes answers your own liking or not liking of your own S camera. My S camera works perfectly as a walk about camera and as a camera on a tripod..........I have no need for a long lens on my S I have that on my Nikon

As for f1.4 I get that with my S120 :) :) :) 

Neil

Neil

I have the S, SL, Q, and TL2. Each has its unique use case. The SL would probably be better replaced by a Canon 1DxII and some white zooms. I only use it for reach and focus speed. But that 90-280 is magnificent. We'll see about the 16-35....

The Q is for non-photo travel, the TL2, 11-23, and 35/1.4 for walk around when not expecting photographs. And the S(006) for any time I can manage to carry it and 2 or 3 lenses.

-M

For my primary style of photography (fashion/beauty etc in studio) I found that my M just became completely unused once I started with the S system. For travel I wouldn’t take the S or the SL. Actually the CL looks ideal for that application for my preferences. I haven’t physically seen one yet though (missed the launch here).

But in studio I find that I am using the SL more and more too. The primary advantages there for me are the 24-90 and the movable focus point. Size and handling wise though, to me it hardly feels less than the S. Maybe 500 or 1000 frames into a few hours and I am much too unsteady. For my applications though they are both tripod systems and I recently got the RRS L plate for the SL too

Edited by hoppyman

I have the S006 but use it very little due to its size and need for a lot of light. When it has a lot of light, it sings. (I could not justify upgrading to the S007 which is better in this respect due to the lack of a trade in option here but am eagerly awaiting the S008.) But the cameras I most often use are the MM1 and the SL with M lenses. Much more portable than the S and great in low light situation. I'm very pleased with the SL, which still makes a compact package with M lenses. The size and quality of the M lenses is marvelous, I would never get rid of them.

My brother-in-law is an eminent celebrity portrait photographer. He has been moving from the S to the SL in recent months, especially as he has been doing more video. But whenever he gets to shoot with the S(006), he wishes the other ones would just go away.

We compared the 007 vs 006 for his uses, and there was no advantage to the 007. He always uses lights, either strobe or continuous.

If you'd like to see his work, markmannphoto.com.

We're both ready to get an 008. He knows what's coming. I'm taking his word for it.

--Matt

Really, I'm not kidding. He's very well connected with Leica... :) 

27450280819_8ac72ff642_b.jpg

Edited by mgrayson3
  • Like 8

I have the M-P 240, use it seldom but would not get rid of it. Tonight, we were strolling around Lisbon before and after dinner. I carried the M with Elmarit-M 21. My preference is not to go smaller than FF.

Jesse

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850L using Tapatalk

Question to my Leica S owners.

Since buying and using your Leica S whatever (S2, 006, 007) How many of you still shoot with for example a M or a SL or a Nikon.............Wait I can see the point of keeping shooting a FF Nikon D5 or Canon XYZ for Birding, sports etc etc but for mainly Landscape photography like what I like to shoot, how often would you go out without the S??

For me I am downsizing (again). I am getting rid of all my M lenses, 90% of my Nikon gear and also my 135 M6ttl. I will keep my TL2 for a walk about camera when I go out for dinner or go to the dentist. If I am going out to take serious pictures (in other words if the perps of going out is to take some sort of pictures weather it be landscape, pretty girls or whatever) , if the porous is to take pictures then i will take either my S007 my Hasselblad 503CW or one of my LF film cameras..............I just don't see the point of taking anything less.

I might be missing something here but that is the way that Neil Williams feels right now.

On another note, has anyone tried the Xume magnetic lens adapter/filter holders on there S lenses

Neil

I agree with your logic. I normally will take a larger format camera (Alpa/617 panocamera/GFX) accompany with a simple point and shoot (Sigma DPs Quattro) for most of my photography trip. The big stuff in the stroller bag and the point and shoot in a sling bag. GFX is ok for 1 camera kit but with 2~3 lens in the system, it will start to be pretty heavy pretty soon.

But recently, I have started using Leica M + Actus for doing stitching and PC, I hope that this can be a good alternative to those crazy heavy setup. 

I love both my S006 and my Ms (M10, M9, M6TTl and M2). I can take my Ms un-noticed in many places, where the S would be too prominent. The M is a great tool for unscripted spontaneous photography. For instance, I can use the M in the band room at a gig without causing offence in a way that the S would be unmanageable. Horse for courses, as they say.

• Like 2