The black art: wet plate collodion photography – video

Keith (M)

In The Guardian - The black art: wet plate collodion photography – video

Anyone tempted?   :)

Are you tempted by using of hazard chemicals? Like very hazard? I'm not.

What for?

Film is still made, paper is still available.  If I need special effects on my prints I do it in lith. I also want to try Bromoil.

Those two methods are not limiting on how and what I'm taking exposure of.

Collodion thing is very limited to still objects. As result all you could get with it is still life (very boring) or portraits with people looking half-dead (very creepy).

The reason why I choose rangefinders is because they are best to capture the flow and moments of life. Even within landscape photography.

Yet, "collodion" is common popup on forums like this. Someone will rediscover about collodion and make thread about it. Like this one.

Here is novelty factor, but once you start to look into it and follow it, the novelty factor dyes quickly. Because all photos looks the same.

Special effect prevails photography with collodion.

Personally, I'm more into tintypes to try then film will become less available.

Edited by Ko.Fe.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I personally know of two incidents regarding the process. The first was the wife of a photographer being burned when she attempted to light a lamp filled with alcohol and a poorly fitting wick inside a cabinet he used to dry plates. The second was a guy accidently spilling a full pint can of ether inside his apartment. No one hurt but the entire NYC hazmat squad was deployed!

I personally know of two incidents regarding the process. The first was the wife of a photographer being burned when she attempted to light a lamp filled with alcohol and a poorly fitting wick inside a cabinet he used to dry plates. The second was a guy accidently spilling a full pint can of ether inside his apartment. No one hurt but the entire NYC hazmat squad was deployed!

Being chemist myself, this is one of the reason why I currently disregard getting into this in my private home. Keeping and handling standard film development stuff there is okay, but wet plate stuff would be on another level for which I would consider only doing in sort of converted lab-based environment with better vented space, too. The chemist in me is very appealed to give it a try at some point, and when I have a lot of time on my hands which is currently not often the case. The application of wet plate based photography would have severe limitations on me, too since I am not too involved into portrait photography either and have less of incentive to go into this direction. I still admire if someone is doing this and has a passion for it. Great stuff on your website!

• Like 1

Here’s the Wet Plate Leica I built

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

I call this “Well Read” 1/4 Plate Black Glass ambrotype

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Are you tempted by using of hazard chemicals? Like very hazard? I'm not.

What for?

Film is still made, paper is still available.  If I need special effects on my prints I do it in lith. I also want to try Bromoil.

Those two methods are not limiting on how and what I'm taking exposure of.

Collodion thing is very limited to still objects. As result all you could get with it is still life (very boring) or portraits with people looking half-dead (very creepy).

The reason why I choose rangefinders is because they are best to capture the flow and moments of life. Even within landscape photography.

Yet, "collodion" is common popup on forums like this. Someone will rediscover about collodion and make thread about it. Like this one.

Here is novelty factor, but once you start to look into it and follow it, the novelty factor dyes quickly. Because all photos looks the same.

Special effect prevails photography with collodion.

Personally, I'm more into tintypes to try then film will become less available.

Perhaps not everyone in the World has the same likes and dislikes as you, Ko.Fe. The World would be a pretty dull lump of rock if we did all like the same thing.

• Like 1