Leica Thumb Support for digital CL

lct

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have one and I like it very much. It cannot be positioned any lower, or it will cover the screen. So the only way to position it lower is to make it shorter, but it is already very short. So I like it just the way it is. I use my index finger for the right dial, so I find this thumb support very comfortable.

Match Technical has a Thumbs Up for the CL that looks nice and has a curved notch that will allow you to use your thumb for the right dial if you prefer. I have a Thumbs Up for my Q that works well, but it discolored very quickly, so I decided to try Leica's this time around for my CL.

I contacted Tim Isaac about my issues with his Thumbs Up for CL.

He wrote me It was a well considered choice for this particular 'short' design, also it was very well received and he does not see any reason to change the current design.

​Lets hope Leica will change their design but I am afraid they will not

[...] Lets hope Leica will change their design but I am afraid they will not

I would not hold my breath. Leica could well think that we are supposed to handle the left wheel the same was as we did with the shutter speed dial on M cameras i.e. with the index finder. 

I got the Tim Isaac design Thumbs-Up and, as I did with my MM, simply find it indispensable.  That said, I find the cut out on the top edge of it more useful for resting the ball of my thumb when I carry it, and that I still use my index finger for the inboard dial.  It feels natural that way, and the sense I have of the ergonomics is that it reminds me of using IIIf and IIIg years ago.  It certainly allows me to feel more secure picking it up the CL, pulling it out of a bag, etc.

Edited by norm_snyder
  • Like 1

What Norm said.  Although I'd prefer a Thumbie, I can't wait at this point, so I bought the Thumbs-Up for my CL.  The T-U may look like it's positioned too far to the left in pictures, but in use it works very well for my thumb and fingers (long-ish).

• 2 weeks later...

OK folks, here are the photos of the final hand made pre-production prototype of the CL Thumbie, made by Steve Barnett but being tested by me. I think after a bit of trial and error, this is about as good as we can get it. It is comfortable to use and especially with a grip and finger loop, make the CL a one handed camera. Both top rollers, central buttons, the on/off switch and shutter release are easily reachable. If I can manage with very stiff and arthritic fingers, together with an accident shortened right index finger, anyone else should be able to get on well with it. The final production versions, may have slightly smoothed off edges and will be better finished. 

Constructive comment welcome. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

How does it attach to the camera. Looks good and leaving the hot shoe free is great.

It is by industrial type double sided adhesive tape with rubber layer in tape. These are very secure and I have some been on my various M cameras for close to 10 years now. Conversely they are relatively easy to remove by just peeling them off slowly. You can then roll off any remaining adhesive debris with your thumb or use a small amount of naptha solvent (cigarette lighter fluid) on a lintless cloth. 

Wilson

• Like 1

[...] Both top rollers, central buttons, the on/off switch and shutter release are easily reachable. [...]

Interesting thank you. May i ask if you use the right wheel intensively e.g. for image magnification? Just curious as the Thumbie looks very close to it, it fact closer than both Thumb Rest and Thumb's Up so i wonder how much it's getting in the way of the right wheel this way.

Interesting thank you. May i ask if you use the right wheel intensively e.g. for image magnification? Just curious as the Thumbie looks very close to it, it fact closer than both Thumb Rest and Thumb's Up so i wonder how much it's getting in the way of the right wheel this way.

Initially this was a concern for us at the early design stages. However on the final prototype, it does not seem to be a problem for me. I mounted the Thumbie quite low, immediately at the top of the rear LCD. There is also a relief notch to ease access to the right roller. I have very immobile hands with most joints either half or near totally seized. If I can manage, others with better mobility should have no problem. 

Wilson

PS If you look at the second picture in plan view, you can see the top edge of the Thumbie adjacent to the roller is very thin indeed. 

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 2

Not sure it is within forum rules to provide purchase link but will check with Mods. May be OK as I have no financial interest. 

Wilson

If not link, post a word when the Thumbie is ready, and we can search on the net to find where to order it...