Leica Thumb Support for digital CL

lct

Just received a Thumbs Up from B&H. Called "Match Technical EP-CL Thumbs Up Grip for Leica CL Camera (Black)", it looks as well made as my other Match Technical goodies. Design is less elegant than the Leica's Thumb Support though and it feels too short compared to the latter which may feel too tall for opposite reasons. I have not large hands so (yet?) holding the camera with one hand feels less comfortable with the Thumbs Up than with the taller Leica's. Now the shorter design of the Thumbs Up has an advantage in that it gets less in the way of the right wheel. As for the left wheel it is indeed easier to turn with the thumb thanks to the cutout of the Thumbs Up. Not sure which one i prefer but i will probably keep both Thumbs Up for light lenses and Leica's for heavier ones unless i change my mind about glued accessories.

Just received a Thumbs Up from B&H. Called "Match Technical EP-CL Thumbs Up Grip for Leica CL Camera (Black)", it looks as well made as my other Match Technical goodies. Design is less elegant than the Leica's Thumb Support though and it feels too short compared to the latter which may feel too tall for opposite reasons. I have not large hands so (yet?) holding the camera with one hand feels less comfortable with the Thumbs Up than with the taller Leica's. Now the shorter design of the Thumbs Up has an advantage in that it gets less in the way of the right wheel. As for the left wheel it is indeed easier to turn with the thumb thanks to the cutout of the Thumbs Up. Not sure which one i prefer but i will probably keep both Thumbs Up for light lenses and Leica's for heavier ones unless i change my mind about glued accessories.

Yes it is rater short as written earlier. Do you use the Thumbs Up with or without handgrip ? For me with handgrip the handling is more balanced and I have average hands. Also tried a finger loop medium but that felt to cramped.. but also very secure. With finger loop one would probably not have a strap attached. I just fitted a quite short (90 cm) Artisan & Artist ACAM 280 and that is perfect for me

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In case anyone wants pics of the Match Technical Thumbs Up on the CL, here you go...  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Yes it is rater short as written earlier. Do you use the Thumbs Up with or without handgrip ? For me with handgrip the handling is more balanced and I have average hands. Also tried a finger loop medium but that felt to cramped.. but also very secure. With finger loop one would probably not have a strap attached. I just fitted a quite short (90 cm) Artisan & Artist ACAM 280 and that is perfect for me

The handgrip of my Fuji X-E2 works fine together with the Thumbs Up but it makes part of the design of the camera and adds very little to its dimensions. The CL with accessory hand grip looks more bulky by comparison and i don't like the idea of having to remove it to replace a card or a battery. BTW the Thumbs Up of the X-E2 has almost the same size as that of the CL but the hotshoe of the Fuji is located further to the right so that the grip of its Thumbs Up is more comfortable than that of the CL. I know it's a matter of compromise but the design of the CL's Thumbs Up is definitely too short for me. YMMV.  It remains an useful tool though and i don't plan to let it go anyway.    

Thumbs Up for CL vs Thumbs Up for X-E2:

Thumb Rest for CL vs Thumbs Up for X-E2:

• Like 1

I would be a great idea if it was a flash adapter at the same time. I hope someone would design it that way.

Some of the ThumbsUp adapters used to include a flash shoe built-in, but it was for an accessory optical viewfinder.  In other words, it was a flash mounting shoe, but not a hot shoe.  There were no contacts for the pins on the flash.  I suspect that something which included pass-through circuitry for a flash would end up being quite expensive.  Even by Leica accessory standards.  And since it's a mirrorless camera with a built in EVF, having a bracket for an external optical viewfinder probably wouldn't be all that useful.  I suspect this is as good as it's going to get for the CL.

I tried the Leica thumb support but disliked it intensely. Somehow it was in a different place than my thumb all the time :( . The same goes for the Thumbs-Up.

I just got the handgrip in, and despite the ergonomic nightmare of having to unscrew it to get at the battery flap (Leica, are you listening, if it was too difficult to leave a simple hole :wacko: , at least it could have come with a quick release!) I must say that it does add the stability to be able to use heavy long R lenses and does compensate a bit for the lack of O.I.S.

• Like 1

The Leica Thumb Support for the CL seems perfect to me! I foresee no problems.

Inclined to agree. The match technical, which I bought, while it has the indent seems too short to me. Think the Leica length looks better to me. If anyone has the Leica one and prefers the Match Technical sendme a message and we can figure out a trade.

I wonder why match Technical made the Thumbs Up so short... just for access of the right button only ? AT the ned I still prefer this model.

If you hold your hand up with your fingers curled, as they would be if like me, you use a standard handle/grip on the CL, you will see that the natural place for your thumb is in line with the centre of the curl on your fingers or even slightly to the right. This means that both the Leica and more especially the Thumbs up are both too short to be ergonomically satisfactory or comfortable. My feeling is that the left hand edge of the thumb tang should be around 6-8mm to the right of the centre of the axis of the right hand roller. This would provide thumb support but also access to the RH roller. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Yes the Thumbs Up is too short actually, at least for me. Also its cutout is useful but when shooting quickly i end up using my index finger for the left wheel preferably and then i miss the length of the Thumb Support even more. After an intensive shooting with the Thumbs Up, using the Thumb Support again has been a relief i must say. Sorry for Match Technical but its Thumbs Up for M8, M240 and X-E2 work perfectly for me. 

Edited by lct

Instead of the Leica handle that has no tripod socket, I put a couple of square Bump-Ons on the front of the CL.

They are not as large as the handle, but they give enough grip with the Thumbs Up attachment to do the job.

I had used Bump-Ons on M240 and T cameras that worked well and lasted a long time (a year) before they fell off.

They are cheap and tiny, so, I can carry spares with me all the time.  Hopefully, Leica will make a handle with a tripod

hole in it before this decade ends.  I need the tripod hole because I always have a small tripod plate attached

to  each camera (SL and CL).  I use a small monopod with a ball head that locks into the plate on the cameras.

The monopod is short enough when collapsed, to hang from a beaner on my belt.  Without IBIS, I really

need that monopod.   I wonder which will come first.....Handle with socket....or....IBIS?

Ciao,  Sully

Instead of the Leica handle that has no tripod socket, I put a couple of square Bump-Ons on the front of the CL.

They are not as large as the handle, but they give enough grip with the Thumbs Up attachment to do the job.

I had used Bump-Ons on M240 and T cameras that worked well and lasted a long time (a year) before they fell off.

They are cheap and tiny, so, I can carry spares with me all the time.  Hopefully, Leica will make a handle with a tripod

hole in it before this decade ends.  I need the tripod hole because I always have a small tripod plate attached

to  each camera (SL and CL).  I use a small monopod with a ball head that locks into the plate on the cameras.

The monopod is short enough when collapsed, to hang from a beaner on my belt.  Without IBIS, I really

need that monopod.   I wonder which will come first.....Handle with socket....or....IBIS?

Ciao,  Sully

I expect it depends on what exactly you are going to count.  If the CL sells really well, I could see Really Right Stuff releasing a grip/bottom plate with a built in Arca plate.  That would likely happen before Leica gets around to an IBIS camera sometime in late 2021.  If you mean when will Leica themselves release a grip with a ¼-20 socket for the CL?  That's probably never.