Leica Thumb Support for digital CL

lct

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Wilson and... Steve! I'm anxious to get one or two of Thumbie for CL :D

I am sure that it will fit very well; I have put the M 240 model on my CL (see picts. below) since a month and I see that the grip for the thumb is at the same place than the good Steve's prototype one. Hope the production can start soon.

Congratulation to the creator and the guinea pig... :p

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Nice to see so many good quality alternatives available for the thumb support problem. I decided to go for the Match Technical option now they are in stock in the UK at The Classic Camera. This is mainly because I used them on my M9 & Q.

Edited by rogrog

The Thumbs Up is more curved so IMO it gives a marginally better grip on the thumb. The right wheel is a tad better accessible.

Verdict: if you have none, buy the Thumbs Up. If you have the Leica Thumb Support and are able the exchange it for the Thumbs Up, do it.

Otherwise wait for a modification.

That said, I remember a several years ago Leica modified their M half case with grip to improve it. I am sure they will with the Thumb Support as too much people complain about accessibility of the left button. It really is a design flaw.

they not even can make the addons right....

they not even can make the addons right....

I beg to differ. I have both Leica and Match Technical supports and i only use the Leica now i must say. The Match Technical Thumbs Up is much too short for me and with a bit of practice, i find the Leica support perfect when using the index finger to turn the left wheel the same way as the shutter speed dial of my M cameras. Kudos to Match Technical for its Thumbs Up for M8 and M240 though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Call me cheap, but thumb supports for the CL are outrageously priced. It must be made of magnesium, manufactured on the moon.

You forget they have been rubbed with rare snake oils by virgins on the slopes of Mount Fuji under a spring moon  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Steve Barnett tells me that the Thumbies for the CL are now available. PM me for his contact details or they will also be for sale on eBay in due course. I have no financial interest in these but did help Steve at the development stages, with some suggestions on changing the ergonomics between V.1 and V.2 prototypes  to improve comfort and the way that your hand should naturally fall onto the Thumbie. I was most reluctant to send my hand made V.2 prototype back to have the moulds made and much look forward to getting a production one in the next week or so (vagaries of French post willing). You can see photos of the prototype V.2 in post #91 on this thread on page 5. The production version will be an identical overall shape to this but better finished and with a more radiused lower thumb edge on the tang. 

Wilson

• Like 1

I can only confirm that the CL Thumbies will be available very soon :)  (Steve Barnett communication). Can I recall that Steve Barnett is known at Forum member as 250swb. You can get precise information from PM to him.

Good Whitwun holidays and pictures to all.

Please do not contact Steve through the forum or his forum psuedonym for sales (this is against forum rules). PM me and I will pass on his contact details to anyone wanting to buy a Thumbie. The CL Thumbie is available NOW. 

Wilson

PS Steve has asked me to remind folks to say that they are forum members when they order, to get a discount on the regular eBay price. 

Edited by wlaidlaw

Jaap, 

As this is something of a side-line for him, he seems happy just to have me advising his email address in a PM. I have saved my reply and just do a cut and paste, so it only takes me seconds. His regular marketing is via eBay but that is at a higher price than forum members pay. 

Wilson

Just you know that the waited - for some of you - Thumbie for CL are existing... ;) as you can see below!

Thanks to Steve and Wilson, for me the CL is complete now.

Happy pictures to all.

from my phone:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5