Leica Thumb Support for digital CL

lct

I am in too. I have already been in contact with Steve and he is considering what redesign would be necessary to make a suitable Thumbie for the CL. If enough people show an interest it would encourage him to go ahead if it seemed economically viable.

• Like 2

I am a huge fan of Steve's Thumbies. I have one on every M I own, both film and digital. However having been using my CL constantly for the last three weeks with the 18-56 lens (all I could use with a broken lens release - now off to Wetzlar for warranty repair) plus the standard grip/handle, I am not sure I need a Thumbie. I might feel differently if I had been able to mount my heavier and longer 80-200 R lens with R to TL adapter. The standard grip allows for secure holding for overhead shots, even with my weak and arthritic hands. 

Wilson

• Like 2

Wilson - I have reached out to Steve Barnett for a CL Thumbie but he has no plans to produce them. Perhaps if all Thumbie fans were to petition Steve he may change his mind?

Am I correct to conclude that you find the leica grip helpful with one hand carry and operation?

Larry

Larry, 

I find the grip very useful. I have weak and arthritic hands and even with those, my hold on the lightweight CL feels very secure. The only thing is I think they have put the boss for the finger loop too low on the grip and I cannot reach the shutter release comfortably if I use a loop. When I get my CL back from warranty repair, I will add a clear plastic Bumpon to the shutter release, as I find it difficult to locate and depress quickly. I did the same with my SL and it was a big improvement for me. 

Wilson

Larry,

I find the grip very useful. I have weak and arthritic hands and even with those, my hold on the lightweight CL feels very secure. The only thing is I think they have put the boss for the finger loop too low on the grip and I cannot reach the shutter release comfortably if I use a loop. When I get my CL back from warranty repair, I will add a clear plastic Bumpon to the shutter release, as I find it difficult to locate and depress quickly. I did the same with my SL and it was a big improvement for me.

Wilson

Does the Leica grip come with a finger loop or are they extra?

Anyone know if an MD grip will be available? They are very well made - on my M9

Does the Leica grip come with a finger loop or are they extra?

Anyone know if an MD grip will be available? They are very well made - on my M9

Finger loops are extra. Come in three sizes, small, medium and large. 

Wilson

As I was still fiddling around with various setups to have the best grip options I also ordered the Leica Thumb Support and could compare it with the Thumbs Up. On he Photo you can clearly see the differences. 

Despite the fact that with the Thumbs Up the thumb is marginally more in front of the display, the operation on the left button - due to the small curved cut out - is so much better than with the Leica’s.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

[...] Despite the fact that with the Thumbs Up the thumb is marginally more in front of the display, the operation on the left button - due to the small curved cut out - is so much better than with the Leica’s.

How do you feel its shorter length compared to the Leica's if i may ask? Does it make the right wheel any more or less handy to turn with the thumb?

As I was still fiddling around with various setups to have the best grip options I also ordered the Leica Thumb Support and could compare it with the Thumbs Up. On he Photo you can clearly see the differences. 

Despite the fact that with the Thumbs Up the thumb is marginally more in front of the display, the operation on the left button - due to the small curved cut out - is so much better than with the Leica’s.

Does the Leica Thumb support have a connect through for the flash shoe or is the shoe dumb? 

Wilson

How do you feel its shorter length compared to the Leica's if i may ask? Does it make the right wheel any more or less handy to turn with the thumb?

The Thumbs Up is more curved so IMO it gives a marginally better grip on the thumb. The right wheel is a tad better accessible.

Verdict: if you have none, buy the Thumbs Up. If you have the Leica Thumb Support and are able the exchange it for the Thumbs Up, do it.

Otherwise wait for a modification. 

That said, I remember a several years ago Leica modified their M half case with grip to improve it. I am sure they will with the Thumb Support as too much people complain about accessibility of the left button. It really is a design flaw.

• Like 1