Leica Thumb Support for digital CL

lct

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up the the ThumbsUp version today. It’s very well executed. Very glad it has the little cut out for the left wheel. Not perfect, but definitely better than it would have been without. Works as advertised, and I prefer it to the accessory grip (as I have for virtually every smaller Leica since the M9).

• Like 1

Just picked up the the ThumbsUp version today. It’s very well executed. Very glad it has the little cut out for the left wheel. Not perfect, but definitely better than it would have been without. Works as advertised, and I prefer it to the accessory grip (as I have for virtually every smaller Leica since the M9).

Could you share some photos ?

You can always order direct from Tim Isaacs at Match Technical. I bought one of the twin shoe models to use on my IIIg, when I want an accessory viewfinder (SBLOO/SGOOD etc) and a Voigtlander VC2 meter. Tim very kindly declares them at low value, so no import duty. You put in an order with Tim and he sends you a Paypal invoice. I am hoping for a unique Thumbie from Steve Bartlett, as I don't want to occupy the shoe, although I have to say over the last three weeks pretty constant use in the Caribbean and New Orleans, I found the camera was so light that the standard grip was quite good enough for singe handed overhead shots etc, using an iPhone as a remote viewer in my other hand. For taking pictures of the Mardi Gras parades, a camera stick/pole to see over the crowds would be a good idea, then release from the iPhone. Needs a bit of manual dexterity but it is possible. 

I just hope it is not away too long at Leica having the failed lens release repaired. I also noticed when preparing the camera for sending to Leica today, that there is what looks like two small pieces of manufacturing debris/silver alloy swarf in the permanently locked on 18-56 lens, between the 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd lens groups. As the lens cannot be removed from the body and has therefore to go back to Leica anyway, I have also asked them to investigate and clean this out. 

Wilson

You can always order direct from Tim Isaacs at Match Technical. I bought one of the twin shoe models to use on my IIIg, when I want an accessory viewfinder (SBLOO/SGOOD etc) and a Voigtlander VC2 meter. Tim very kindly declares them at low value, so no import duty. You put in an order with Tim and he sends you a Paypal invoice. I am hoping for a unique Thumbie from Steve Bartlett, as I don't want to occupy the shoe, although I have to say over the last three weeks pretty constant use in the Caribbean and New Orleans, I found the camera was so light that the standard grip was quite good enough for singe handed overhead shots etc, using an iPhone as a remote viewer in my other hand. For taking pictures of the Mardi Gras parades, a camera stick/pole to see over the crowds would be a good idea, then release from the iPhone. Needs a bit of manual dexterity but it is possible.

I just hope it is not away too long at Leica having the failed lens release repaired. I also noticed when preparing the camera for sending to Leica today, that there is what looks like two small pieces of manufacturing debris/silver alloy swarf in the permanently locked on 18-56 lens, between the 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd lens groups. As the lens cannot be removed from the body and has therefore to go back to Leica anyway, I have also asked them to investigate and clean this out.

Wilson

Wilson - I have reached out to Steve Barnett for a CL Thumbie but he has no plans to produce them. Perhaps if all Thumbie fans were to petition Steve he may change his mind?

Am I correct to conclude that you find the leica grip helpful with one hand carry and operation?

Larry

Wilson - I have reached out to Steve Barnett for a CL Thumbie but he has no plans to produce them. Perhaps if all Thumbie fans were to petition Steve he may change his mind?

Am I correct to conclude that you find the leica grip helpful with one hand carry and operation?

Larry

Not a bad idea at all. I would order one straight away. Having looked at the present offerings I would say that both impair the ergonomics of the camera too much to be of real use. A Thumbie would be the perfect solution.

Start a petition thread.  ;)

For the time being I've ordered a hand strap. I'm a big fan of hand straps, especially for longer lenses,  ever since the DMR.

Now using the Leica Thumb Support most of the time. The camera is too slippery for me and i prefer hand grips with the shutter button on it. Only significant con is Thumb Support getting in the way of the left wheel to me. I now use the index finger instead of the thumb to turn it. Matter of habit but the cutout of the Thumbs Up sounds like a good idea indeed. 

Edited by lct

After using Steve Barnett's Thumbie for M9 and M240 (and the monochrome variants thereof) - and looking at how the Leica Thumb Support/Thumbs-Up variants tend to block the access to the turning wheels on the CL - could we try to gather supporters/momentum in hope for Steve to design a Thumbie for the CL?

I am in...

(moderator: please feel free to delete this thread if it's going against the forum rules)

• Like 1