Leica Thumb Support for digital CL

lct

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nice accessory as expected. Well made, unobtrusive, the black version (not sure if there is a silver one) of the Thumb Support for digital CL has the good taste to hide the flashy "Leica Camera Wetzlar Germany" engravings of the body to replace it by the same with no white paint on it. The Thumb Support is also efficient in the first place in that the CL is significantly less slippery with it. This way the camera can be shot single hand if needed and i don't have the feeling that the camera will drop if i forget to use a strap anymore. Problem is the Thumb Support gets in the way of the right dial, which was to be expected, but it gets in the way of the left dial as well. Not to say that the left dial is impossible to use this way but the thumb reaches it less easily when the Thumb Support is attached, so much so that pressing the shutter release while turning the left dial requires too much dexterity for me. I prefer this to using a camera as slippery as a soap bar at the end of the day but well designed Thumbs Up or Thumbie will do better hopefully.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Yup, "Eloxal" is kinda like a brand name Anodized Finish.  To me, it makes it look like media blasted Acetal in the right light.

I expressed interesting in bringing a thumb grip for the CL to market, attempting to do some research ahead time, what would you be willing to pay for it?  I was thinking of machining out of Acetal, which is a high density, medical/food grade plastic that has a nice feeling and sounds like wood when you tap on it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

According to the forum rules « no buy & sell activities, independent of whatever form are allowed in the forum section. This also includes any form of negotiations, price/pricing discussions or for sale information ». If you believe this rule is not applicable here i suggest you ask the admin for confirmation.

Nice accessory as expected. Well made, unobtrusive, the black version (not sure if there is a silver one) of the Thumb Support for digital CL has the good taste to hide the flashy "Leica Camera Wetzlar Germany" engravings of the body to replace it by the same with no white paint on it. The Thumb Support is also efficient in the first place in that the CL is significantly less slippery with it. This way the camera can be shot single hand if needed and i don't have the feeling that the camera will drop if i forget to use a strap anymore. Problem is the Thumb Support gets in the way of the right dial, which was to be expected, but it gets in the way of the left dial as well. Not to say that the left dial is impossible to use this way but the thumb reaches it less easily when the Thumb Support is attached, so much so that pressing the shutter release while turning the left dial requires too much dexterity for me. I prefer this to using a camera as slippery as a soap bar at the end of the day but well designed Thumbs Up or Thumbie will do better hopefully.

attachicon.gifLeicaCL_Thumb_Support.jpg

You have one?

Thanks- I'll use more discretion next time.  Anyone can feel free to DM me if they have opinions on design/material/price.

With the admin's benediction ;) i believe a good thumb rest should be sturdy, protected by some rubber seal (as are the Leica's and current Tim Isaac's Thumbs Up) to avoid any play in the accessory shoe and prevent any damage to the body. Also, contrary to the Leica's, the thumb rest should be positioned at a lower level as that of the top plate in order for the right thumb to handle the left dial w/o contorsion. FWIW.

Thanks, can you post photos of it in the camera?

No problem. 

• Like 1

I think I would prefer to wait for Steve Barnett (250SWB) to bring out a Thumbie for the CL. The advantage is that they don't occupy the flash/accessory socket. I use a Thumbie on all my M's, both film and digital. 

Wilson

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I think I would prefer to wait for Steve Barnett (250SWB) to bring out a Thumbie for the CL. The advantage is that they don't occupy the flash/accessory socket. I use a Thumbie on all my M's, both film and digital.

Wilson

I have asked him on eBay whether the thumbie for M9 will work on cl. Too bad the answer is yes, it fits but it makes one of the dials(I’m guessing the right one) hard to access.

I’m thinking If I should still give it a try or just order the one for the m240/m10. I’ve tried to fit the one on my m10 on the cl with some double sided tape, it fits but I think the one for the M9 will be more stable.

Edited by innerglow

I have asked him on eBay whether the thumbie for M9 will work on cl. Too bad the answer is yes, it fits but it makes one of the dials(I’m guessing the right one) hard to access.

I’m thinking If I should still give it a try or just order the one for the m240/m10. I’ve tried to fit the one on my m10 on the cl with some double sided tape, it fits but I think the one for the M9 will be more stable.

I tried my M9 Thumbie and decided it was not right. I think the spur needs to be further outboard and with slightly more curl in consequence. I have spoken to Steve but I will need to get back to him to advise that the M9 one really is not correct for exactly the reasons you mention. At the moment I am using a spare small finger loop I had left over from my M240 MP grip. Not at all sure about the loop, since even putting my ring and small finger through the loop, I struggle to reach the shutter release, as I am missing the final centimetre of my index finger. 

Wilson

Just test use: with a Thumbie for M240. I hope Steve can make one better adjusted and stable. Nevertheless this one works but the weels are difficult tp move with your index.  :o   HTH.

Just found out today via dealer inquiry that Match Technical's Thumbs-up for the CL is coming soon 

Thank you for contacting us.  We were able to confirm earlier today that they have the design ready for production and may have them ready to start shipping early next month.
  • Like 4