(Very) long lenses on the CL and TL. -Please add your experiences.

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No, I sold the 180 when I got the 80-200, which does not have your focusing issues, fortunately.

But a preview of the Olympus that appears to handle excellently:

waiting for decent weather to shoot it..

olympus75150.jpg

Also tell us how easy to focus without magnifying, how easy it is to magnify, to move magnification point etc. etc. Personally I favor 135 primes over this (Konica and Minolta) for better IQ wide open. 135s are lighter too.

Guess what this was with ...... indoors tonight with just a single table lamp...... (cropped a bit)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

....... Apo Telyt R 280/2.8 with stacked Apo x1.4, x2.0 and R-L adapters  ..... ie. equivalent to 1200mm @ 35mm ......  :p

ok ...... needed a tripod and 3 sec exposure, but still surprisingly good ....

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 13

Guess what this was with ...... indoors tonight with just a single table lamp...... (cropped a bit)

attachicon.gifL1400675.jpg

....... Apo Telyt R 280/2.8 with stacked x1.4, x2.0 and R-L adapters  ..... ie. equivalent to 1200mm @ 35mm ......  :p

ok ...... needed a tripod and 3 sec exposure, but still surprisingly good ....

Nice picture.

Would like to see the picture of this combo. :)

• Like 2

I could try my Zeiss 1200mm (1860mm EFOV) with Novoflex adapter but I would need to unearth my huge Manfrotto Large Format tripod and hang a sandbag on it, to get something near steady enough to make it work. Even walking on a wooden floor that the tripod is standing on, is enough to produce camera shake with that lens. 

Wilson

I could try my Zeiss 1200mm (1860mm EFOV) with Novoflex adapter but I would need to unearth my huge Manfrotto Large Format tripod and hang a sandbag on it, to get something near steady enough to make it work. Even walking on a wooden floor that the tripod is standing on, is enough to produce camera shake with that lens. 

Wilson

I had the same problem. I suspect even breaking wind would ruin the photo .....

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another today with my 1200mm combo on the CL ..... windy, dull and overcast ..... Possibly this lens at f3.5 lacks the contrast and clarity of its modern counterparts ...1/50 sec, f3.5, iso 800

This was about 40m away, cropped by about 50% and is a bit grainy and soft at 100%. I suspect in good light it would be a lot better.

Focussing is exceptionally easy and accurate with the CL's EVF .... even without magnification....... and peaking very helpful. 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 13

This is a shot of CL with my Angenieux 35-70 mm, f/2.5. It has a Nikon mount and I am using it with Novoflex adapter.

This is a really wonderful MF lens,  very sharp and quite fast for its category. Not very easy to balance and use on CL, but I very much enjoy the rendering. 

• Like 4

Here's the SL 90-280 on the TL2.

AF is fast and images are exceptional. The lens can be handheld at maximum zoom.

It is heavy, but the lens balances so very well. Cradling the bottom of the lens with one hand works quite nicely to distribute the weight.

That looks like a very workable proposition. If I was into that type of Long telephoto photography I’d be very tempted!

- Vikas

• Like 1

This is a shot of CL with my Angenieux 35-70 mm, f/2.5. It has a Nikon mount and I am using it with Novoflex adapter.

This is a really wonderful MF lens, very sharp and quite fast for its category. Not very easy to balance and use on CL, but I very much enjoy the rendering.

IMG_0161.jpg

Good looking combo!

- Vikas

• Like 1

This is a really wonderful MF lens, very sharp and quite fast for its category. Not very easy to balance and use on CL, but I very much enjoy the rendering.

IMG_0161.jpg

F/2.5 constant aperture and very sharp as you state makes this a great lens. You may want to try the handgrip (without the finger loop) and the thumb-rest.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Yes ..... perfectly ...... but remember you will not be able to use the very low speeds that are possible with the SL as you have the equivalent of a 420mm lens and a tiddly sensor. I've found 1/200-250 the lowest usable handheld at 280mm. (*)

2. It's a bit like having a matchbox stuck on a piece of broom handle. ie 95% lens and 5% camera ....... usable but does take a bit of getting used to and as your L hand is doing most of the work and this no doubt contributes to (1.)

No problems with a tripod, obviously. 

(*) by contrast I've taken pin sharp images with the SL at 280mm at speeds down to 1/40 sec with OIS on. 

Edited by thighslapper

1. Yes ..... perfectly ...... but remember you will not be able to use the very low speeds that are possible with the SL as you have the equivalent of a 420mm lens and a tiddly sensor. I've found 1/200-250 the lowest usable handheld at 280mm. (*)

2. It's a bit like having a matchbox stuck on a piece of broom handle. ie 95% lens and 5% camera ....... usable but does take a bit of getting used to and as your L hand is doing most of the work and this no doubt contributes to (1.)

No problems with a tripod, obviously.

(*) by contrast I've taken pin sharp images with the SL at 280mm at speeds down to 1/40 sec with OIS on.

Thanks, Thighslapper !

I am a bit surprised by the 1/200. With IS and a crop sensor, I would have expected 1/125... Certainly due to the weight balance, as you presume.

And what about AF ? I raise all those questions for wildlife and BIF, since this combo could be the « SL extender » I wish to get rid of my heavy Canon gear.

Edited by Bohns

Sorry, I haven't gotten around to trying it properly on the CL yet. In general, It is one of the better mirror lenses, Minolta designed and built. The OOF rendering is double contours and broken circles; quite nervous. OTOH, it is one of the very few non-stabilized 500 mm lenses that one can shoot handheld.