(Very) long lenses on the CL and TL. -Please add your experiences.

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This evening I tried out the handling of long lenses on the CL The first I tried was the 105-280R. Rather disappointing, I would say. Too heavy and too large on this small camera for handheld photography, viewfinder image too unstable to focus reliably. Tripod only. Or maybe a grip and bean bAG.

Then the 80-200 R. What a difference a lens makes. Balances perfectly, rocksteady to hold. I decided to squeeze off a few test shots in my study. I was able to shoot the camera at <gasp> 1/40th 200 mm, consistently, focusing was easy. Highly recommended! I cannot wait to try it out in the field :)

Some test shots @ ISO 6400 -minimal processing:

1/40th @ 200:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

100% crop:

1/160th @ ISO 6400

• Like 2

Hello Jaap,

Nice photos all.

It is interesting that here today at the Latitude of Lop Nor: That the Barometric Pressure is pretty much the same as it is in Hellevoetsluis today.

Here, in the Summer: A rising Barometer usually means warmer weather. A falling Barometer usually means cooler weather.

In the Winter here: A rising Barometer usually means colder weather & a falling Barometer usually means warmer weather.

You can generally tell when the Seasons here are changing: By the reversal of the results of the Barometric pressure change.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Here's the SL 90-280 on the TL2.  

AF is fast and images are exceptional. The lens can be handheld at maximum zoom.

It is heavy, but the lens balances so very well. Cradling the bottom of the lens with one hand works quite nicely to distribute the weight.  

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not the CL, but the TL2 with the SL 90-280. Thought it would be relevant since it is supposedly the same sensor.

Taken at 280mm (420mm) handheld.

Rob

• Like 8

Works for me very well with the SL 90-280 zoom. Need to hold this set by the lens of course not by the CL body. Results are very good. I’ve posted to the CL Image thread. My go to combo now for wildlife, and birds photography. My Canon 1D4 with the 300/2.8L II IS lens and 1.4x and 2x converters is collecting dust. Anyone wants to buy it? It’s available.

• Like 1

+1 to the 90-280 SL on the CL, this combo is quite stable and handholadable. Unfortunately, no exteders available. Come on, come on, Leica!

280 f4 APO R: On the heavy/long side wo lens stabilisation. But fine on tripod, of course. 1.4 and 2.0 APO extenders are available and are really good.

Nikon 300mm f4E PF Fresnel: This is something... Small and only 775 g. Can be handhold, also with 1.4 extender (corresponding to 630 mm), possibly also with 2.0 extender at high shutter speeds. No possibilities to change the aperture (only the manual, not the electronic, Nikon-to-Leica L mount adapter works on the CL). A very nice combo - my favorite in addition to the 90-280 (and I quite happily shoot at f4; other apertures can be preset on a Nikon body by removing the lens from the Nikon body while pressing the depth-of-field preview button).

Nikon 400mm f2.8E with or without extenders, can only be used on tripod and non-moving objects. Fixed aperture only (see above).

Edited by helged
  • Like 2

I guess this is a personal issue. I tried the 90-280SL on the CL, and although it was manageable, you could tell they were not designed for each other. With my left hand under the lens taking all the weight at its centre of gravity, there wasn't enough heft at the camera end to keep it steady in my right hand, which was making adjustments and pressing the shutter. It took quite an effort to avoid too much movement.

I will use the lens on the CL when I need the extra 50% reach, but I'm not a wildlife photographer, so don't expect to do it often.

• Like 1

Not the best of product shots...

This one is too (front) heavy.

This one balances well. The equivalent  of 80-200 is (surprise!)  105-280. A good wildlife lens, can be used with 2xAPO extender.

• Like 6

Here is an example ... shot with the SL 90-280 @280mm. I think the amount of detail is very good, this lens is worth its price.

38317443695_83db7bd037_z.jpg

The above image is a 100% crop. The bird is rather small and I was pretty far from it.

Here is the original image from which the crop was then taken.

• Like 8

Not the best of product shots...

This one is too (front) heavy.

attachicon.gif105280img2.jpg

This one balances well. The equivalent  of 80-200 is (surprise!)  105-280. A good wildlife lens, can be used with 2xAPO extender.

attachicon.gif105280img.jpg

Jaap, Do you have 180APO3.4? Now a days I like this (also with X2APO) very much on Nex6. Although I agree with you for 80-200R, now a days I find 180APO3.4 much more useful due to i) lighter weight and ii) stiffer focus ring than 80-200. Focus ring on my 80-200 can be turned easily with one finger and is smooth but it is difficult to keep it undisturbed when I have focused once and relaxing in between shots.

Edited by jmahto

No, I sold the 180 when I got the 80-200, which does not have your focusing issues, fortunately.

But a preview of the Olympus that appears to handle excellently:

waiting for decent weather to shoot it..

• Like 2

And another preview waiting for the weather. It is a bit nervous, but it seems to be possible to get focus handheld:

• Like 2