(Very) long lenses on the CL and TL. -Please add your experiences.

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That well known Scottish dealer currently lists a Canon FD 300/2.8 L (manual focus) lens for ££reasonable which would adapt very easy to Leica L mount … FD 1.4x extenders are OK but FD 2x are not so good. With a 1.4x on APS-C FF equiv = 630mm f4 .   

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Dunk, 

That Canon lens must be close to 30 years old and 1970's-80's Canon lenses are not very well know for longevity with fogging of some of the elements being a potential problem. The good news is that you would have 100% return warranty with that dealer, if the lens has deteriorated. However there is not a lot of other choice than that for a fast 300, apart from the expensive APO 280 Leica and APO 300 Zeiss lenses. The last APO Zeiss 300/f2.8 I saw, went for around £5000. There is one on Fleabay at the moment from Breguet in HK at £5900 with the teleconverter and fitted case. At that price, the Leica at around £2000 seems a good buy. 

Wilson

Wilson, If the lens is fogged the well known dealer would mention same in the description and apart from the 6 month guarantee there is a 10 day no quibble approval period. I'd have no hesitation in ordering the lens if I needed a decent manual focus 300mm. I already have a Canon FD 500/4.5 L,  FD 300/4 L, FD 85/1.2L and FD 50/1.2L all without fogging or dust issues.

Best wishes

dunk  

• Like 1

When I get the CL, I'll test my ancient (and very cheap) Sigma 600mm f/8 CAT (Nikon F mount) on it. That'll be a giggle, I'm sure. Tripod only, I'm sure as well.

My other 'very long' tele is a sweet, small, light Elmar-R 180mm f/4 fitted with 2x Extender-R for 540mm f/8 FoV equivalent on the APS-C format. Likely tripod only as well... 

maybe better idea nikon 300/4e pf plus tc14eiii?

What I’m likely to end up with, too. But the idea of no aperture control (even if DoF isn’t really important);is annoying. I might just buy a Nikon 7200 instead for that lens.

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just about the smallest and lightest -handholdable- combo I can imagine. MR Telyt 500 8.0. Good for birds, albeit not very fast to focus.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

• Like 6

• Like 8

Just about the smallest and lightest -handholdable- combo I can imagine. MR Telyt 500 8.0. Good for birds, albeit not very fast to focus.

attachicon.gif_DSC6799.jpg

If not too fussy about 'appearance' it's possible to buy the original Minolta MD version of the lens for a third (or less) of the typical MR Telyt 500/8 s/h price … both have the same Minolta optics … and MD to L, & MD to M adapters are readily available. One dealer lists the MR Telyt 500/8 for €1100 but also has two Minolta MD 500/8 lenses listed for €250 and €290. 

dunk 

• Like 1

If not too fussy about 'appearance' it's possible to buy the original Minolta MD version of the lens for a third (or less) of the typical MR Telyt 500/8 s/h price … both have the same Minolta optics … and MD to L, & MD to M adapters are readily available. One dealer lists the MR Telyt 500/8 for €1100 but also has two Minolta MD 500/8 lenses listed for €250 and €290. 

dunk 

Ridiculous price. I paid a few hundred Euro for a mint MR Telyt a few years ago...

A good cheap alternative for those who can live with the explosion of a wedding ring shop in the background (I can't), is the Yashica Reflex 500/8. This is identical to the Zeiss Mirotar which often fetches anything up to 10x the price. Less than £200 will buy the Yashica. I will stick to my Tele Tessar on a Novoflex adapter, then L adapter M. 

Wilson

Those highlight rings might get a bit tiresome after a while!

Agree, but portability and handholdability will offset the OOF character from time to time. I would not take this lens for wildlife because of the double contour bokeh, unless I know that I will have to hike.

It's largish, it's long, it's cheap, it's kinda ugly ...

41601324160_e6fa4aed29_o.jpg

It's a Sigma 600mm f/8 cat in Nikon F mount. 

29538822268_579c8149fb_o.jpg

Here's a test setup ... (No, I'm not hand-holding this any time soon!) 

29538822258_48710a7aec_o.jpg

and the original exposure: 

43409172561_097f1679a7_c.jpg

Processed to a finish photo:

41601324060_cc29ebd475_o.jpg

Cheap old Sigma 600 cat with all the trimmings cost me $80 some years ago. This was kind of a stress test for it. I'm surprised at how well it works.

Welcome to my first photo out of the CL! :D

Enjoy!
  • Like 1

just bought R apo 280/4 rom boxed for 2050€, apo extender R 1.4 for 220€,both lenses are on its way to me,summer good time for buying too,not only taking photos :))) my beloved CL waiting them.will add apo r 2x maybe one day,stopped buying sl 90-280' as have tl 55-135

Edited by leonasj

just bought R apo 280/4 rom boxed for 2050€, apo extender R 1.4 for 220€,both lenses are on its way to me,summer good time for buying too,not only taking photos :))) my beloved CL waiting them.will add apo r 2x maybe one day,stopped buying sl 90-280' as have tl 55-135

Beware of potential sticky lens diaphragm  … with age the diaphragm blades can become sluggish … 280/4 APO Telyts are all getting old and diaphragms should be thoroughly checked before purchase. This will not affect use on CL (auto diaphragm not required) but could affect resale value. 

dunk  

Beware of potential sticky lens diaphragm  … with age the diaphragm blades can become sluggish … 280/4 APO Telyts are all getting old and diaphragms should be thoroughly checked before purchase. This will not affect use on CL (auto diaphragm not required) but could affect resale value. 

dunk  

I assume they must be like the 16 blade Summarit diaphragms, which have to be lubricated. The downside being that the more volatile elements of the lubricant can evaporate and re-condense on the air surfaces either side. I think a silicone grease was used when my 50/1.5 Summarit was rebuilt last year, to try and minimise this. 

Wilson