(Very) long lenses on the CL and TL. -Please add your experiences.

jaapv

Here is the crop. Not brilliant as I expected from micro camera shake but not too bad considering the subject is around 2km away. 

Wilson

I will be frank. The crop is not impressive and most probably it is not the lens but atmospheric conditions. I think after FF 400mm equivalence (best case), there is diminishing returns in getting more details for far objects. Techniques and conditions matter way more.

I will be frank. The crop is not impressive and most probably it is not the lens but atmospheric conditions. I think after FF 400mm equivalence (best case), there is diminishing returns in getting more details for far objects. Techniques and conditions matter way more.

I agree could well be atmospheric. In normal use, I never go beyond the 200 of my 80-200 Vario-Elmar R and sold my 90-280SL, as I just never used it. Other than paparazzi taking sneaky photos of celebs, I can think of very few uses for my 1200 mm lens. 

Wilson

I agree could well be atmospheric. In normal use, I never go beyond the 200 of my 80-200 Vario-Elmar R and sold my 90-280SL, as I just never used it. Other than paparazzi taking sneaky photos of celebs, I can think of very few uses for my 1200 mm lens. 

Wilson

Agree. I also limit myself mostly to 200mm. However I have some use of longer lens to shoot Moon and Sun (with filter). During last solar eclipse, I got nice pic using 400mm Telyt with X2 APO extender on Sony APS-C. See below:

https://flic.kr/p/XM9qCH

CL with 280mm f/2.8 APO-Telyt-R + APO-Extender-R 2X + APO-Extender-R 1.4X . . .  ~1200mm AOV (1188mm)

At some point I knew I would try this . . .

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You'd forgive my out-the-window sloth if you knew how hot and humid it is here and for how long it's been that way . . . 

Hotel rooftop roughly one mile away, entire frame . . . 

And a 100% crop from near the center . . . through urban air pollution and a bit of heat shimmer, and with the sun at an obtuse angle . . . 

From about 80 meters . . . 

And a 100% crop from the clock's face . . . 

Both shots were made using a monopod, which means it's not likely I'll use this combination in the field.  The lens needs to be stopped to f/4 when used with teleconverters.  However, I do see possibly using the lens + 2X TC at f/8 for (~850mm AOV)  handheld in good light.

Might be of interest to anyone needing a budget price but quality 400mm / 800mm lens which utilises Leitz lens elements 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/275370-vintage-lenses-on-the-sl/?p=3538420

dunk 

Dunk, 

Not for me. I just sold all my Telvit - Telyt 400/560 kit to Peter Loy and in reality glad to see the back of it. I bought it about 10 years ago and have used it probably twice in 10 years.  

Wilson

• Like 1

Dunk, 

My modular 300/600/1200 Tele-Tessar (a 1990's lens) might be better than both the Leica and Novoflex and being a true telephoto rather than long lens, it is about 1/3rd the length. 1200mm is not great but then what would I ever need that for, now that Beckham and his missus have not bought the neighbouring chateau (Chateau de Taurenne)  :)

Wilson

• Like 1

Wilson, your modular Tel-Tessar would be better … but does it have a built-in bellows fir close-focus? My latest 3 element Noflexar 'T' was purchased for just £100 … a cost effective 'stop gap' lens until Leica Camera AG decide to release an SL 560mm telephoto with matching extenders. 

dunk 

Wilson, your modular Tel-Tessar would be better … but does it have a built-in bellows fir close-focus? My latest 3 element Noflexar 'T' was purchased for just £100 … a cost effective 'stop gap' lens until Leica Camera AG decide to release an SL 560mm telephoto with matching extenders. 

dunk 

It has a bellows for close focus. Probably the best made bellows I have ever seen with rise and fall on the front section and on Contax cameras, it is automatic diaphragm as well. A lovely bit of kit. 

Wilson

CL with 280mm f/2.8 APO-Telyt-R, f/4 . . . 

Further observations after a week and a half of using this lens on both the CL and M240:  what I initially thought was loss of contrast on the CL, possibly from sensor reflection, appears to be due to the ability of the lens to "see" air pollution almost as well as its f/4 APO cousin--although it does not render any greenish tones.

Another issue I encountered, slightly dim EVF, occurred only when I used the camera in shutter-priority mode (M-mode, auto ISO, specified shutter speed).  In aperture-priority mode, the EVF works well; although an eyepiece wing might make it even easier to use in bright sunlight.

This iteration of the lens has a few tweaks over the first iteration, a copy of which I previously owned.  There's a drop-in filter slot; the mount takes ten screws instead of six; and it weighs a bit more.  It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the optics were tweaked as well, as the OOF background areas are noticeably more pleasing on this iteration than with the previous one.  Corner sharpness wide open appears to have been improved as well.

The forum pages here have many testimonials to the 280mm f/4 APO's supposed superiority over this lens. While I don't dispute the experiences of others, I find this faster, heavier bazooka to be far more to my liking than its f/4 cousin.

Now if only I can find where the mynas are hiding the other birds . . .  :p

• Like 6

From what I recall the 280/4 and 280/2.8 are based on the same design and although performance at 2.8 can be a tad soft I don't think it lags behind its f4 brother by much at similar apertures. I've had excellent results with my 280/2.8 on the M240/SL and CL ....... although I'd be reluctant to take it hiking with me ......

Edited by thighslapper

When I pixel-peep at f/2.8, it appears to be just as sharp as at f/4, but with slightly less contrast detail.  On the M240, it has the Mandler-era characteristics I appreciate so much. And with the 1.4X extender attached--and stopped to f/5.6--it's better than some of its more modern counterparts.

As for hiking, well . . . when a camera and lens make such great pictures, they somehow seem much lighter.  I carried lens, extender, and CL, plus an alice bag, for 15km today--although I will confess to having had a good nap after the first ten!  :lol:

CL + 280 APO + 1.4X extender, ISO 800 in very gloomy weather . . . 

• Like 8