(Very) long lenses on the CL and TL. -Please add your experiences.

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is one this morning with the 80-200/4 Vario Elmar hand held from my bedroom window (through the glass, as I did want to disturb the two male pheasants, looking for all the world, as if they were discussing stock prices)

Wilson

PS I know I am slightly back focused but if I had taken longer, they would have flown off. Our dogs in the kitchen below had heard me get up and were agitating to get out and chase the pheasants. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 8

Vintage and long, Tokina AT-X 100-300 f/4 - looks like this

• Like 3

This was SOOC - think shot at f5.6  - not too shabby...

• Like 8

After cropping and bit of Lightroom jiggery pokery (just upped contrast - my usual sharpening and using embedded profile), happy with my £80 worth of lens until Leica come up with nice long zoom anyway.

• Like 6

Not very long - but longish and certainly very compact and quite competent - here is the CL + Voigtländer 180mm f/4 APO-Lanthar + SL 18-55, everything packed into a Lowepro Format 120. The latter has space for 1-2 batteries, some cards and a few additional, small items. Actually, I pretty much use Lowepro Format 120 when shooting with the CL, with one lens mounted on the body, together with 1 largish lens (e.g. 28-Lux-M or SL 11-23mm) or 2 smaller lenses (e.g. 21 Super-Elmar-M, 28 Elmarit-M, 90 Macro-Elmar-M, or SL 18mm/23mm). Very handy.

• Like 2

This thread has certainly piqued my interest.  Although not (very) long, I have been considering a 135mm f2 Canon or Nikon tele, or possibly a Nikon 105mm f1.8 for lower light performance/club photographs.  This would, of course, mean hand holding at higher iso, but would give me a reach or 200mm equivalent, or 150mm equivalent, respectively.  Does anyone have experience with any of these lenses on CL or TL?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Be careful with older Canon or Nikon lenses if they have lived part or the whole of their life in Japan. This is a very warm and humid climate during the summer, promoting fungus growth. Strangely the older 1950's LTM lenses from Canon and Nikkor seem less prone, which is odd. My brother in law asked for me for an estimate of the value of a number of his old Nikon manual focus tele lenses, he used to use on his F3. He has always lived in Barbados. The sad answer was they were worth nothing as they all were full of fungus.

Wilson

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, Wilson. I had considered 100mm f2 Ltm Canon or 105 Nikkor (everything turns in the wrong direction in the latter case) to use on the CL. Considering what good ones go for, I may just use my 75 Summicron M and crop, for now, until I find a nice Canon 135mm f2. I need the lens speed, otherwise I could just use a 135mm f2.8 Elmarit R, which is pretty inexpensive, if a stop slower (and is pretty heavy for its f stop and focal length).

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone longer than this? This is a house just over a kilometre away taken with my Zeiss Tele-Tessar Modular lens. It is 1200mm, so 1800mm EVOF on the CL. Yes I know it is a bit soft but some of that will be due to atmospheric haze. As I am not a twitcher or a celeb paraparzzi, I cannot think of any real use for this lens but it cost me very little and is quite a bit better at its 600mm length than my recently sold Telyt 560/f5.6. Even at this distance, its DOF is very small. Point of focus was the central half round tiled roof. 

Wilson

• Like 2

Novoflex LET/OM. I am sure it will be beautifully made like all Novoflex adapters - you get what you pay for. 

Wilson

Thanks. I have a Zuiko auto zoom 35-105mm f3.5 and a Zuiko MC auto zoom 85mm- 250mm f5. Have had great success with those lenses on an OM-2n. I have a 35 mm zuiko as well but what's the point if I have the vario 18- 56?

Curious to know if it's worth the $150 for the Novoflex adaptor. I'm really only interested in using the 35- 105. Trying to keep the long lenses on the Nikon DSLR. Especially since the CL has no IS. But I'm not dismissing using the longer lens on the CL on a tripod. 

Novoflex seem to be the only ones out there making a stand alone.  Others require going to an M mount, and then a OM mount. Not interested in extending the lens by 2-3 inches. 

Edited by Jake

This one balances well. The equivalent  of 80-200 is (surprise!)  105-280. A good wildlife lens, can be used with 2xAPO extender.

I thought at APS-C, the equivalent of an 80-200 lens is 128-30mm, with a 1.6 crop factor?

Edited by Lax Jought

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure you would say it's very long, but tried the Leitz 180 2.8 R on the CL.  Feels good, not too heavy on the CL, couple of examples.

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 2

I've been playing with the MR Telyt 500.

Conclusion:

Well hand-holdable, good image quality, focusing not too difficult but slow and needs magnification, nice and compact, well balanced.

I would recommend it

• Like 4

Thanks. I have a Zuiko auto zoom 35-105mm f3.5 and a Zuiko MC auto zoom 85mm- 250mm f5. Have had great success with those lenses on an OM-2n. I have a 35 mm zuiko as well but what's the point if I have the vario 18- 56?

Curious to know if it's worth the $150 for the Novoflex adaptor. I'm really only interested in using the 35- 105. Trying to keep the long lenses on the Nikon DSLR. Especially since the CL has no IS. But I'm not dismissing using the longer lens on the CL on a tripod. 

Novoflex seem to be the only ones out there making a stand alone.  Others require going to an M mount, and then a OM mount. Not interested in extending the lens by 2-3 inches. 

The extension will be identical whatever adapter solution you choose, as the lens register won't change. The Stacking the TL-M adapter is the only way to get image magnification by the right wheel.

• Like 1

Of course you get right hand wheel zooming with the R adapter T as well on the CL as well as auto lens detection for ROM lenses. There is a minor bug on the CL with this adapter, in that focal length is not being reported, as it does when a zoom lens is used with the R adapter T on the SL, albeit a bit inaccurately with the 80-200 showing as 178mm at max zoom. I have reported this bug. 

Wilson