(Very) long lenses on the CL and TL. -Please add your experiences.

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks, Thighslapper !

I am a bit surprised by the 1/200. With IS and a crop sensor, I would have expected 1/125... Certainly due to the weight balance, as you presume.

And what about AF ? I raise all those questions for wildlife and BIF, since this combo could be the « SL extender » I wish to get rid of my heavy Canon gear.

AF ..... fast and accurate

This was yesterday .......ISO 1000, f4 1/250sec @ 280mm on the 90-280

1/200 is almost the same ...... but 1/125 and there is definite loss of definition due to very slight camera shake.

Image quality is very good even at ISO 1000 when cleaned up a bit in LR

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 4

These are 100% crops with Sharpening and NR ...... plus the unfortunate degradation in saving as JPG and then whatever the forum does to them .....

First is 1/125 at ISO 1000 and the second 1/200 at ISO 1600 @280mm 

Admittedly the difference is not huge ...... but as camera shake is the one thing you cannot correct in processing I tend to avoid it at all costs even at this level .....

• Like 1

• Like 7

These are 100% crops with Sharpening and NR ...... plus the unfortunate degradation in saving as JPG and then whatever the forum does to them .....

First is 1/125 at ISO 1000 and the second 1/200 at ISO 1600 @280mm 

Admittedly the difference is not huge ...... but as camera shake is the one thing you cannot correct in processing I tend to avoid it at all costs even at this level .....

attachicon.gifL1400915.jpg

Thanks for that.  There is a definite difference when viewed at this level of detail!

- Vikas

This is a shot of CL with my Angenieux 35-70 mm, f/2.5. It has a Nikon mount and I am using it with Novoflex adapter.

This is a really wonderful MF lens, very sharp and quite fast for its category. Not very easy to balance and use on CL, but I very much enjoy the rendering.

attachicon.gifIMG_0161.jpg

Has anyone tried the 70-210 Angenieux lens?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

+1 to the 90-280 SL on the CL, this combo is quite stable and handholadable. Unfortunately, no exteders available. Come on, come on, Leica!

280 f4 APO R: On the heavy/long side wo lens stabilisation. But fine on tripod, of course. 1.4 and 2.0 APO extenders are available and are really good.

Nikon 300mm f4E PF Fresnel: This is something... Small and only 775 g. Can be handhold, also with 1.4 extender (corresponding to 630 mm), possibly also with 2.0 extender at high shutter speeds. No possibilities to change the aperture (only the manual, not the electronic, Nikon-to-Leica L mount adapter works on the CL). A very nice combo - my favorite in addition to the 90-280 (and I quite happily shoot at f4; other apertures can be preset on a Nikon body by removing the lens from the Nikon body while pressing the depth-of-field preview button).

Nikon 400mm f2.8E with or without extenders, can only be used on tripod and non-moving objects. Fixed aperture only (see above).

Which Novoflex adapter did you use for the Nikon 300mm PF ? This seems like a nice

size for the CL/TL2

Thanks

Doug

Which Novoflex adapter did you use for the Nikon 300mm PF ? This seems like a nice

size for the CL/TL2

Thanks

Doug

Manual adapter (fixed aperture, no autofocus, 11 frames per second): Novoflex LET/NIK (I prefer this adapter as long as fixed aperture is ok)

Electronic adapter (allows adjusting aperture, ok-ish autofocus, max 3 fps): Novoflex SL/NIK (when altering aperture and/or autofocus are important)

Manual adapter (fixed aperture, no autofocus, 11 frames per second): Novoflex LET/NIK (I prefer this adapter as long as fixed aperture is ok)

Electronic adapter (allows adjusting aperture, ok-ish autofocus, max 3 fps): Novoflex SL/NIK (when altering aperture and/or autofocus are important)[/quote

Thank you for the fast reply

Doug

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by gdmiv
  • Like 1

Just got the 90-280 lens and was excited to try out on the CL. However got message when I mounted lens on CL that the firmware for the lens needs to be updated. Called Leica and the only way to update it is with a SL camera which I don't have. Pretty stupid of Leica that it can't be updated using the CL. Fortunately was able to send the lens back to where I purchased and they are going to update and send back to me as they have a SL in stock.

• Like 1

Here are some taken with the 90-280 at 280mm setting on the CL (on a cold rainy day, I'm afraid).  

Pine cones at about 50 m:

39891174692_4c64c8616e_o.jpgC1000921 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr, ISO 500 f/4@1/500 handheld

Leaves at 2 m:

39213093784_f59368e614_o.jpgC1000932 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr ISO 400 f/8@1/30 (tabletop tripod, 2 sec delay)

and the Holyland Towers at a distance of about a mile:

39213098224_4a2a34fabc_o.jpgC1000934 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr ISO 400, f/4@1/2500

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Fuji is a good reference for what is missing in Leica's APS-C offerings.  (For example, a 14, 15, or 16 mm f/1.4.)  Wouldn't it be great to see a 100-400 with OIS, like the Leica-Panasonic but covering the larger field of the CL?  

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 4

How so? Focus Magic does a pretty good job correcting motion blur :)

Jaap,

Have you compared Focus Magic with the Shake Reduction tool in PS CS (2017)? Focus Magic's website does lots of comparisons of before and after with various software tools but these all seem to be out of focus shots and not motion blur. I will wait until I receive my replacement CL and try it with the 80-200 R or 300/600/1200 mm modular Zeiss, download the trial and compare. 

Wilson

Yes, I did. It seems to me that it works better. It has a more user-friendly interface in my hands. I'm lost for examples right now, I posted in this thread on the forum not too long ago.

In case you missed it:

I'll repeat I needed a grotty shot ;)

The result is from a quick correction in one blur direction; I concentrated on the highlights in the glass; it can be refined by local corrections in another direction to the eyes, for instance

• Like 1

No, I sold the 180 when I got the 80-200, which does not have your focusing issues, fortunately.

But a preview of the Olympus that appears to handle excellently:

waiting for decent weather to shoot it..

attachicon.gifolympus75150.jpg

Can you please point me in the direction of Olympus OM system Zuiko lens adapters for the CL. Thanks. 

Can you please point me in the direction of Olympus OM system Zuiko lens adapters for the CL. Thanks. 

Novoflex LET/OM. I am sure it will be beautifully made like all Novoflex adapters - you get what you pay for. 

Wilson

• Like 1

I am considering getting a Contax 100-300 Vario Sonnar lens. This was one of the final designs by Zeiss for the Contax manual focus system and is a very fine lens. Optically is certainly the equal of the 80-200/f4 Vario Elmar I already have and I think I am correct they were both made by Kyocera, Japan. What is does have is the IMHO, is vastly superior trombone zoom focus system, which means you don't have to keep moving your hand from the zoom to the focus ring as on my 80-200. Since its service by Will van Manen, the 80-200 is far more parfocal than it was, as zooming used to change the focus. I know how to adjust the Zeiss Zoom lenses to be parfocal with the screws under the rubber focus/zoom ring. On the SL that would give me a bit more distance than the 80-200 and on the CL it would be an EFOV of 150-450. I already have a Novoflex LEM/CONT and another cheapo Contax to M adapter. I might buy the Novoflex LET/CONT to avoid stacking adapters. 

Most of the Contax lenses come from Japan, so with the humid climate there you have to be very careful of fogging and fungus. I would prefer to buy one from Europe if I can find one. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw