APO-Summicron 90mm aperture ring issue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am experiencing an unfortunate problem with my APO-Summicron 90mm. After a brief portrait session at the office, I left the lens at the camera, over a desk. I almost always use it wide open and occasionally at f/5.6, but this time I went for f/16. When I returned to put it back to the leather case I noticed that the aperture ring was totally loose. It’s now spinning 360 degrees and the aperture blades don’t move at all. I always felt that the ring was too soft for my taste. I’d prefer it to be stiffer. But I never felt that there was a problem. In fact, the lens is still in very good shape and it never gets any rough using. 

I live in Brazil and I was just planning to take it for a trip do Portugal in about 45 days. I keep my equipment under an insurance that covers for damage. But if this is something relatively easy/cheap/quick to repair, I would prefer not to call the insurance company. Did any of you guys experienced something like this? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

It will have to go back to Wetzlar. No easy cheap fix but they will make it as good as new.

Ask your dealer for a replacement until it returns..

Albert 

Leica's (one and only) brazilian dealer told me they send the lenses to the american workshop, not to Wetzlar, and that the process between Brazil and the US takes at least 90 days. So their recommendation was for me to contact the customer support directly, which I did. But they just replied telling me to reach the brazilian dealer. That one that told me contact Leica directly. :/

I really needed this lens ready by the end of january, and delivered to me in Brazil or Portugal. Don't you know someone at Leica that can help?

call Brenda Ohlson at Leica USA 800 222 0118 and feel free to use my name. Hopefully she can help you!

Albert

Thank you, Albert. You're very kind. Fortunately, I got in touch with Ms. Liberty Seria from Customer Care in Wetzlar and she's assisting me with sending it directly to Germany. Anyway, I appreciate your help. If you ever need a hand here in Brazil, just let me know.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Keops
      Hi there. Couple of days ago I decided to try some LTM glass on my Leica MP and bought a new Fotodiox 50/75 adapter. While it worked perfectly I was surprised and mostly heart broken to see that the mid line of the lens mount had been scratched on my beloved camera which I saved for such a long time to buy. The scratch is superficial as far as I can see and on the 4,5,6 and 7 o'clock directions (The photo which I share on here doesn't do them justice. They are more visible than what looks like here). I didn't have time to develop my film so I cannot say if it damaged the mount on funtional level. But I want to learn your experiences with similar situations if you had any. I read that these things can happen even when you use native lenses on cameras but as far as I know for the last 9 months my Voigtlander 35mm f/2 Ultron didn't damage or let alone scratch the lens mount on my MP. I reattached my Voigtlander after experiencing this situation and shooting another roll of film with it to see if there is any problem. Is there a possibility that I damaged my camera functionally? Can my Voigtlander be attached to the lens mount securely and without further damage either to the lens mount or the lens itself? What are you thoughts on Fotodiox adapters? The adapter that I bought seems that it is made of a material that is not similar to the material that Leica uses on its mount. I would be grateful to read your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By FromMyLens
      I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on a light leak issue I have with my m4p.  I use my camera for street photography, so I walk around with the lens cap off. I also have the camera in a leather half case, which covers the back door.  I seem to get a light leak on random frames, from the bottom right hand corner.  I figure it can't be the door as the rear of the camera is covered and the sills look in order.  Has anyone experienced similar faults or have any remedy suggestions prior to sending it off for a repair?

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By robotography
      Hi all,
      a while ago I've bought a used Elmarit-M 90mm (latest version) for which I found a few days ago by accident that the aperture blades do not fully disappear when the lens is used wide open. Consequently, the bokeh balls aren't circular, but have a more "saw blade"-like shape. If I turn the aperture ring beyond 2.8, which is possible by a tiny bit, the blades retract a bit more, but never completely (cp. attached images). 
      As I wasn't sure whether this is by design or a defect, I have contacted Leica Support and they tell me that this is the normal behaviour, but offer a CLA for the lens nonetheless.
      Could any other owner please check with his or her lens?
      Thanks in advance,
      Rolf

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Aaron Daniel
      Hi everyone, I just purchased my first cinema style lens for the SL2-S and have just done a quick review and first impressions about it here  I know some users have wondered how non-Leica lenses perform on this body, so I thought this could add to the literature. I have to say that this lens has been a pleasure to use and edit from– the wide angle is insanely fun to use!
      However, and I guess I don't really touch on this in the video, I don't think this is a normal walk-around lens like most Leica lenses are intended for. Even the bigger SL lenses can seem normal to walk around with. Because of the gears and almost intimidating appearance, I don't believe this fun wide-angle would be all that fun to roam the streets with.
      This all being said, I can see this being a fun option for small productions and wedding/event use!
      Sidenote– You may also notice some wobbling/warping on the sides of the video images, and I believe this is because the SL2-S currently does not properly accommodate for a 20mm focal length with IBIS. Throughout this video I used the 21mm option, so the weird warping becomes apparent when moving a lot
      Cheers  

• By Boreees
      Hi all, 
      Just had my M6 CLA’d due to a light leak around the shutter curtains. They are demonstrating some curling and leave a light leak when a frame is left in the gate for too long. The tech replaces the baffles among other things but I can still see a bit of light at the edges when shining a bright light. He claims that is normal and his other Leicas also have this. Can anyone attest if that is true by checking your shutter curtain edges when shining a bright light inside? 

much obliged
      Boe