aliwton

APO-Summicron 90mm aperture ring issue

I am experiencing an unfortunate problem with my APO-Summicron 90mm. After a brief portrait session at the office, I left the lens at the camera, over a desk. I almost always use it wide open and occasionally at f/5.6, but this time I went for f/16. When I returned to put it back to the leather case I noticed that the aperture ring was totally loose. It’s now spinning 360 degrees and the aperture blades don’t move at all. I always felt that the ring was too soft for my taste. I’d prefer it to be stiffer. But I never felt that there was a problem. In fact, the lens is still in very good shape and it never gets any rough using. 

I live in Brazil and I was just planning to take it for a trip do Portugal in about 45 days. I keep my equipment under an insurance that covers for damage. But if this is something relatively easy/cheap/quick to repair, I would prefer not to call the insurance company. Did any of you guys experienced something like this? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

It will have to go back to Wetzlar. No easy cheap fix but they will make it as good as new.

Ask your dealer for a replacement until it returns..

Albert 

Leica's (one and only) brazilian dealer told me they send the lenses to the american workshop, not to Wetzlar, and that the process between Brazil and the US takes at least 90 days. So their recommendation was for me to contact the customer support directly, which I did. But they just replied telling me to reach the brazilian dealer. That one that told me contact Leica directly. :/

I really needed this lens ready by the end of january, and delivered to me in Brazil or Portugal. Don't you know someone at Leica that can help?

call Brenda Ohlson at Leica USA 800 222 0118 and feel free to use my name. Hopefully she can help you!

Albert

Thank you, Albert. You're very kind. Fortunately, I got in touch with Ms. Liberty Seria from Customer Care in Wetzlar and she's assisting me with sending it directly to Germany. Anyway, I appreciate your help. If you ever need a hand here in Brazil, just let me know.

I experienced exactly that problem with my copy of the lens when it was returned after internal cleaning. Apparently simple to repair!

Good to know that. How long ago was that? Did they charge you for the repair?