aliwton

APO-Summicron 90mm aperture ring issue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am experiencing an unfortunate problem with my APO-Summicron 90mm. After a brief portrait session at the office, I left the lens at the camera, over a desk. I almost always use it wide open and occasionally at f/5.6, but this time I went for f/16. When I returned to put it back to the leather case I noticed that the aperture ring was totally loose. It’s now spinning 360 degrees and the aperture blades don’t move at all. I always felt that the ring was too soft for my taste. I’d prefer it to be stiffer. But I never felt that there was a problem. In fact, the lens is still in very good shape and it never gets any rough using. 

I live in Brazil and I was just planning to take it for a trip do Portugal in about 45 days. I keep my equipment under an insurance that covers for damage. But if this is something relatively easy/cheap/quick to repair, I would prefer not to call the insurance company. Did any of you guys experienced something like this? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

It will have to go back to Wetzlar. No easy cheap fix but they will make it as good as new.

Ask your dealer for a replacement until it returns..

Albert 

Leica's (one and only) brazilian dealer told me they send the lenses to the american workshop, not to Wetzlar, and that the process between Brazil and the US takes at least 90 days. So their recommendation was for me to contact the customer support directly, which I did. But they just replied telling me to reach the brazilian dealer. That one that told me contact Leica directly. :/

I really needed this lens ready by the end of january, and delivered to me in Brazil or Portugal. Don't you know someone at Leica that can help?

call Brenda Ohlson at Leica USA 800 222 0118 and feel free to use my name. Hopefully she can help you!

Albert

Thank you, Albert. You're very kind. Fortunately, I got in touch with Ms. Liberty Seria from Customer Care in Wetzlar and she's assisting me with sending it directly to Germany. Anyway, I appreciate your help. If you ever need a hand here in Brazil, just let me know.

I experienced exactly that problem with my copy of the lens when it was returned after internal cleaning. Apparently simple to repair!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I experienced exactly that problem with my copy of the lens when it was returned after internal cleaning. Apparently simple to repair!

Good to know that. How long ago was that? Did they charge you for the repair?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By pthean
      Hi All, 
      I put the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 Classic on my SL2. It is not a recognized lens, so I chose the Summilux M1:1.4/35 ASPH. 11873 lens profile.  Everything works great except the Aperture setting recorded on the shot does not match the aperture setting that I used on the Lens. I have also tried the 2 other M 35mm lens profiles in the menu with different but still incorrect Aperture recorded in the shot.
      Can someone share with me how to capture the right Aperture used? Do I need to create a custom lens profile? And if so, how do I do that?
      Thanks much for your help.
      -patrick.
    • By 84bravo
      I have the 12586 lens hood for the 50mm f1.4 pre-asph lens. The unit unscrews to accept filters (I assume). What series size filters do I need and how are they held in place? I understand that I need to use a special slim 43mm filter if I want to hood to fit, but I'd rather just use drop in filters if that is possible. Why else would the hood unscrew into two parts otherwise?
      Thanks
      LarryK
    • By Blake k
      Curious as to if this is lens haze or not . Have not noticed anything in the photographs . Thanks

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Al Brown
      Please share your opinion - if you have used or owned both lenses or any opinion on the topic. Mostly interested in comparison of render, sharpness, bokeh, pop etc. according to you - digital sensor or film.

Early reports indicated the Hexanons were inferior. According to LHSA "some Hexanon early samples were reported to have focusing discrepancies, long since resolved, and that adversely affected initial sales. The current consensus: Konica KM and Leica M lenses, even those with longer focal lengths and wider apertures, can be used interchangeably on both cameras without problems." Lots of posts ot the tiny flange difference between the cameras, but here we discuss the lens.

Mr. Rockwell even went as far as comparing the build of Summicron 50 (V) to the Hexanon-M 50 side by side and they indeed look almost identical. Check the pic on his webpage under the Hexanon topic.
      I have recently acquired a Hexanon-M 50/2 (photographed below on my M) and it is a stellar performer, slightly better wide open (especially corners) compared to Summicron M 50/2 (IV) in all the tests I did.
      YMMV.

• By Kanykei
      Hi there
      Can anybody please explain what these numbers mean on the rear coma adjustment ring on Miyazaki lens
      Specifically what happens on these?:
      -- infinity 

Thank you in advance! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Read more about our Privacy Policy