DOF Scale of Full-Frame M Lens on APS-S Leica CL

EMLEICA

My opinion? Forget about DOF, scales and hyperfocal. Sharp is only in the plane of focus, use focus peaking and magnification if needed. The DOF gradient can be estimated in the viewfinder, especially if you apply your experience as well.  In general DOF will be about one stop deeper than on full frame, but as the DOF scale is optimistic by at least one stop on full-frame anyway, it might turn out to be approximately correct for the average subject.

Using an M lens on the Leica CL does that affect the DOF scale?

No. Of course it doesn't.

But it does affect DOF. DOF is narrower on the smaller-format camera, so the DOF scale on the lens doesn't hold anymore. For practical intents and purposes, use the DOF scale for the next-bigger f-stop. For example, if you're shooting at f/8 then read the DOF off the scale at f/5.6. That isn't perfectly accurate but close enough.

• Like 1

No. Of course it doesn't.

But it does affect DOF. DOF is narrower on the smaller-format camera, so the DOF scale on the lens doesn't hold anymore. For practical intents and purposes, use the DOF scale for the next-bigger f-stop. For example, if you're shooting at f/8 then read the DOF off the scale at f/5.6. That isn't perfectly accurate but close enough.

I'd actually go one step further.  The DOF scales on 'M' lenses were created when people were using film, and for better or worse what was considered acceptably or critically sharp in the film days was different from now.  I'd recommend a starting point of using the DOF scale from an aperture that is two stops larger than you are actually using.  Shooting at f/8?  Use the scale from f/4.

Obviously, everyone is going to have a different idea of what is acceptably sharp depending on how they use their photographs, so Jaap's advice is also very good.  Test for yourself and then decide.  You can use your magnified viewfinder to preview results.  See what works or you, but if you really want to use the DOF scales on the lens, the DOF will be at least one stop narrower than indicated, and I'd argue that the modern expectations make it closer to two.

Using an M Full-Frame Lens on the Leica CL does that affect the DOF Scale ?

I see that the focus distance is the same, but I doubt about the corresponding DOF scale and Hyperfocal calculations

Any help from anyone about this ?!

Thanks in advance.

.... note that if using M lenses on the CL or TL with the L-M adapter you cannot rely on the accuracy of the distance markings themselves ...... for example camera focussed infinity will not correspond to infinity marked on the lens. 

Indeed digital does not change anything in DoF calculations per se. Leica DoF scales are based on the same 0.03mm circle of confusion in 2017 as they were in the fiveties at least. What may change is the way we view photographs though. If we view them the same way as we used to in the film days, CoC values have no reason to change whatsoever. But the same does not stand if we pixel peep on 100% crops needless to say. For a classical way of viewing photographs, i've been using the rule of thumb advised by Olaf above since my first APS-C camera in 2004 but also for my M8.2. YMMV.