Protruding M lenses on Leica digital CL

lct

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Protruding M lenses on the digital CL:

- My Super-Angulon 21/3.4 protrudes too deeply into the CL body and cannot be used on it accordingly. Do not try folks you could damage the lens or the body.
- Same for Elmar-M 50/2.8 v1 and v2 when they are collapsed, in which case their tube can hit the black sort of shade around the sensor. The same lenses work fine when they are extended though. Two solutions: don't collapse the lens of follow Leica's advice in its 120-50 leaflet for film CL (attached).
- No problem with Super-Elmar-M 21/3.4 ash.
- No problem either with CV Skopar 21/4.

• Like 3

- No problem with the Macro-Elmar-M 90/4 v1 (11633) either because it does not protrude, or so little, into the body.

- I would use carefully the earlier Elmar 90/4 collapsible (11631) though as it protrudes deeply into M bodies. I don't have it with me here but i suspect what is true for the 50/2.8 is also true for the 90/4.

• Like 1

I never collapse a lens ( LTM or M or other make) on any digital camera, even if people here say that you can do it. It is always better to be sure than sorry. The Super-Angulon often comes with a health warning as well. That leaflet you posted is for the film CL, which is , of course, a completely different camera. If they have not done so already, Leica should publish a similar document for the current digital CL.

William

Well, if you look inside the camera it is quite clear that it is impossible to use any lens that collapses or protrudes inside the body to any significant extent. One can experiment carefully (with the lens at infinity/ collapsed) as the risk of severe mechanical damage is very  small. A scratch on the finish of the mask at most and easily repaired by a lick of flat black paint.

Those are lenses recognized by the Leica M-Adapter L. Doesn't mean that M lenses not recognized by the adapter are not compatible with the CL though.

As far as my own lenses are concerned, the CL works fine with Summaron 35/2.8, Elmar 90/4 and Elmar 135/4 but there are many more compatible Leitz lenses most probably

Edited by lct

• 2 years later...

The booklet that comes with the M-to-L adapter has this to say:

Zitat

Leica M lenses whose construction protrudes backwards by more than 11mm over the bayonet contact area cannot be used.

https://de.leica-camera.com/content/download/143072/2416357/version/3/file/M-Adapter L.pdf, page 11. A list of all (?) supported M lenses follows.

• Thanks 2

The information provided for the old film Leica CL is much more helpful than the current version.   It discusses the fact that collapsible lenses may need safety strips to limit the retraction of the lens barrel and even provides the width of the strips for lenses of the era.   It would be helpful if Leica would provide a current list which would eliminate trial and hopefully errors.