Best half case for the M10

jimleicam3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I looked at buying a Leica half case. The reason I did not is because the case screws into the camera using the tripod mount. Worse, the screw requires an actual screwdriver or a suitably sized coin. It is not a thumbscrew! This means (a) I have to carry something to unscrew the case every time I want to use the tripod or change battery/CF card, (B) I am not able to use the tripod if I have the case on. It also substantially adds to the height of the M10 whilst decreasing its functionality - and the only benefit it brings is protection.

I grant that it is superbly made with beautiful leather in an understated way that can't be said about some other half cases. And there is nothing to fault with its fit. If you have no need for a tripod, and you don't mind carrying around a screwdriver just to change your battery, then I would recommend the Leica case.

Does anybody know if there are any half cases for the M10 on the market that has the following criteria:

- replaces the bottom plate

- has a battery/CF card door

- does not cover the tripod screw

- superb fit and finish?

Where I live, I am not able to inspect these cases before placing an order.

A tiny coin would do the job of a screwdriver.

Is the tripod boss in the Arte di Mano case centered on the lens? Do you know how much it increases the height of the M10 by?

The Tripod screw on the case is in the same place as the Leica base plate. The case with the battery door replaces the base plate so not much, I’d anything at all, raises the height.

• Like 1

I looked at buying a Leica half case. The reason I did not is because the case screws into the camera using the tripod mount. Worse, the screw requires an actual screwdriver or a suitably sized coin. It is not a thumbscrew! 

The screw is quite large and milled. I open mine without benefit of screwdriver or coin. As long as you don't screw it in too tightly (and there really is no need to), you should be able to unscrew it using finger and thumb. But I don't use a tripod very often and I rarely change batteries more than once a day.

I really appreciate the ingenious magnetic flap on the Leica case. It provides good protection for the screen and flips out of the way when necessary.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely second the Arte di Mano case .... I picked one up @ Leica Store Miami for the holidays and the fit is second to none... really like a glove.  The case looks great and the contrast stitching is definitely striking.  

The battery door is definitely a convenience, but sometimes I feel a little weird knowing the M missing the bottom plate.

Other than that, it's a great case and the quality is top notch.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How much do the half cases reduce the operational noise produced by the M10?

How much do the half cases protect the M10 from cold weather?

I don’t think it dampens the noise.... if so, it’s not noticeable..

With regards to cold weather... I think someone else will need to provide their input... only been in 50F here [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A tiny coin would do the job of a screwdriver.

I replaced it

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Although I use the Leica half-case, it looks like we use the same strap from Luigi, which is really excellent IMO. It’s soft and flexible, easy to fit in a case, and stays on the shoulder in a remarkable way.

And, yes, he is a great guy to deal with. :-)

Luigi cases. I am a big fan of Luigi's cases, and Luigi himself, who is incredibly nice and enthusiastic about Leicas.

39702471062_ce6227598c_h.jpgMiyazaki-san, Luigi, Bashert, and DAG by Harry Teasley, on Flickr

• Like 1

My M 10 should be here by Thursday, silver.  Just wondering what members have for the half case.  Battery door or no?

Cheers!

I got burned by a third party case (non-Italian) with a battery door that just wasn't well made. Felt sloppy, didn't quite fit the camera, the battery door also felt flimsy, really disappointing. 

Ended up buying the brown Leica half-case and have been nothing but delighted. It fits like a glove, no wiggle, beautiful leather that wears beautifully. Have been using it for a solid six months and can highly recommend it. 

I've found the lack of battery door to be not much of an issue (I rarely burn through more than a battery in a single session). And I appreciate the simplicity of not having the door, and keeping the baseplate on. 

I don't use the screen cover / flap though, and wish you could a case without the feature as there are two magnets that bulge ever so slightly on the back. 

• 2 months later...

You could try Classic Cases they  do a half case for the M10 which does not use a screw on the base: 

https://www.classiccases.co.uk/product/m10-camera-case/  

A reveiw of the case can be found here at Macfilos blog site:      

http://macfilos.com/photo/2017/9/10/classic-cases-introduce-new-design-for-the-leica-m10?rq=classic%20cases

• Like 1

You could try Classic Cases they  do a half case for the M10 which does not use a screw on the base: 

https://www.classiccases.co.uk/product/m10-camera-case/

A reveiw of the case can be found here at Macfilos blog site:      

http://macfilos.com/photo/2017/9/10/classic-cases-introduce-new-design-for-the-leica-m10?rq=classic%20cases

I think you ought to make full disclosure, Paul.

Because the Arte di Mano battery door case replaces the bottom plate rather than adding on to it, the overall height in the case is substantially similar to the M10 naked, and shorter than the Leica half case. I agree with the others that overall the AdM half case is the best.

• Like 1

I have the Leica M10 half case and like it. Admittedly getting to the batter is an issue (and I've found the M10 batteries to have far less life than the 240 or even my M9, and I don't chimp or use the EVF very much). However, what I love about the Leica case is the back flap (and the ability to remove it). I'm not so concerned about protecting the camera from scuffs because I bought it to use it. But without the case, with the camera slung over my shoulder, I find the M10 buttons got pushed/activated a lot more often. I'd look down and suddenly notice that my camera was in live view, or the menu was up. Just my two cents - Leica's half cases have always been a bit lame but they got this one right overall. Other than the ability to change batteries quickly of course!

I also have the Leica M10 half case (Protector). As a minus, I would add that the OEM strap lug protector cannot be used with this case.

• Thanks 1