CL for Action (sort of) with 75mm APO-M

Jared

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I took my CL to my daughter's horse show this weekend.  I decided to bring along the CL instead of the usual SL just for the heck of it.  I mated the camera with both the 35mm Summilux TL and with the 75mm Summicron-M APO.  Here are a couple shots with the 75mm lens.  I was very pleased with how it worked out.  Frankly, I don't think I would have gotten any better a result with the SL.  The 10 fps definitely helps with timing the jumps.

Since these are pictures of minor children and I don't have the parent's permission to post, I have blurred out anything identifying.  

Leica CL

Leica 75mm Summicron-M APO @ f/2

ISO 100, 1/4000s shutter speed

Auto white balance

Cropped (slight--mostly to straighten the horizon) and sharpened to taste

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

And here is another one...

• Like 2

And finally, a 100% crop from the first image...

• Like 3

You can see the 75mm has a bit of chromatic aberration on-axis (visible if the focus isn't absolutely perfect, but invisible if you nail it), but it's nothing particularly objectionable and would be easy to fix in post if one cared.  These were manually focused, obviously, which is easy to do for an event like this since the order of the jumps is pre-determined.  You can pre-focus on the jump then wait for your subject to arrive.  So it's an action shot, "kind of".

• Like 1

One of my favorites as well. I used to have a 90 Summicron APO that I used heavily on my 'M', but for whatever reason I could never get consistent focus with that lens at f/2.  Even though it was calibrated well (or, at least, I knew how much it was off and in which direction).  With the 75 I never had a problem even wide open, and even at a shorter subject distance that should have made it just as challenging as the 90.  Go figure.  In any event, it's a wonderful lens.