Compelling case for CL (or not) *replacing* M

jmahto

Still not seeing massive differences between comparable shots with my M10 and my CL. Negligible!

Similar ISO performance.

I’m used to working with a crop factor since my M8 days and I’ve found the TL prime lenses great in manual focus mode and super performers.

I like shooting my CL as I get slightly more DOF from my f5.6 / f8 lens stops which I tend to shoot most of my shots.

It’s also ultra light to carry around all day every day.

The M10 and CL both have their pros and cons like all cameras. In the end it’s down to the skill of the operator to bring out their best side.

Edited by SiOnara

I am now convinced that CL can't be a replacement to FF M unless it has fast wide lenses.

I shot this handheld last weekend with M240+28cron, f2, 1/60, ISO400. There was not much light and sometimes I was shooting at ISO2000 even wide open at f/2. Love this lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Agreed - we'd all love an 18 f/1.4 (27mm f/2 ish). Likely it would be rather large though. I'd really like an equivalent of a 24 Summilux which is my favourite ever Leica lens.

I doubt there is anything like this wide and fast in MFT world as well.

Welllllll....there is the Olympus 12mm f/2 which is a reasonable £464 and is essentially a 24mm with f/4 DoF. And a 17mm f/1.2 (34mm f/2.4 DoF)

And Panasonic have a 12mm f/1.4 which is a 24mm f/2.8 DoF equiv (Leica branded)

So, nothing quite like a 24 Summilux which isn’t all that surprising really.

Edited by Tobers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am now convinced that CL can't be a replacement to FF M unless it has fast wide lenses.

I shot this handheld last weekend with M240+28cron, f2, 1/60, ISO400. There was not much light and sometimes I was shooting at ISO2000 even wide open at f/2. Love this lens.

My experience too. RF photography has its downsides (trying to focus on a pupil with a wide open longer lens) but for my money an M with wide glass is unbeatable. Above 50 life has always been a bit of a challenge, but you learn to cope!