Speedlite setup for SL

presbyopia

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am starting to explore wireless (radio) off-camera speedlite use with my SL and am running in to difficulties.  I am not sure if it is the flash equipment chosen or camera settings selected.   I am curious what equipment/settings others are using.

I gave Yongnuo equipment a try as it is price-friendly (particularly if one is ultimately looking at multiple units).  Equipment: speedlite (YN685 - Nikon compatible) and trigger (YN622N-Tx - Nikon compatible).  Both the trigger and speedlite are set to Manual.  I have paired the channels and group.  Off camera the test firings work fine.  The problems occur attaching the equipment to camera. Attaching the speedlite directly to camera, the flash is triggered appropriately but the speedlite controls become finicky.  Attaching the trigger to camera, the trigger is not responding to shutter release.  

The SL is set to Manual exposure.  I have feeling that the camera(SL) TTL system is interfering with the speedlite/trigger function.  I am using FW3.0.  Can not seem to find a setting that turns off the camera TTL system.

All help appreciated.

THX

"Attaching the speedlite directly to camera, the flash is triggered appropriately but the speedlite controls become finicky"

Maybe the Nikon protocols are not shut off completely even when in manual. They could be responding to the SL. I would pick a purely manual Yongnuo. It's probably a safer choice. Burning out a motherboard on the SL will be expensive.

" Attaching the trigger to camera, the trigger is not responding to shutter release."

Possibly the same problem experienced with the Profoto A1. The trigger pin of the flash is not in contact with the hotshoe contact. So it doesn't trigger.

I bought either the same (or similar) TTL Nikon compatible Yongnuo speedlite and wanted to use it on camera to trigger several flashes. I could never get it to work properly and sold it. 

I now use the YN560-Tx controller on camera which will control multiple remote flashes and alter their power remotely ... plus a handful of cheap YN560-III speedlites. Works fine. 

I suspect the SL is somehow sensing some of the Speedlite/Controller TTL functions but as they are not fully compatible with Leica protocols it is just getting confused. 

From reading others experiences on the forum it seems that sticking either to purely Leica TTL gear or Generic non TTL gear used manually is the safest solution. 

I would also like to use a Speedlite on the SL if possible.

Has anyone tried to use a Canon 580EX Speedlite on the SL?  

Is it safe to use on-camera without chance of burning out the SL?

I also have a little Sunpak RD2000 flash unit for the Canon.  Would this be compatible?  It is low power but I could use it to slave the Canon 580EX off-camera.

Also, are there any hot shoe current restricting units to go between the SL body and the flash to control any current going to the SL and causing damage?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would also like to use a Speedlite on the SL if possible.

Has anyone tried to use a Canon 580EX Speedlite on the SL?  

Is it safe to use on-camera without chance of burning out the SL?

I also have a little Sunpak RD2000 flash unit for the Canon.  Would this be compatible?  It is low power but I could use it to slave the Canon 580EX off-camera.

Also, are there any hot shoe current restricting units to go between the SL body and the flash to control any current going to the SL and causing damage?

I have used the Canon 580 EX II Speedlite on my SL. It has an Auto External Metering mode which you enable with Custom Function 5. This uses the External Metering Sensor. You set the camera's aperture on the Speedlite and the flash will control the amount of light automatically for a correct exposure. Of course you need to adjust the aperture for very light or very dark subjects as the sensor is reading the reflected light. I now have a Leica SF 64 flash so I haven't used this recently. I remember the older Metz Flashes had an auto thyristor mode that worked like this.

Flash on the SL needs a sticky.

The SL has the same pin layout as a Nikon but a different protocol. Some Nikon compatible units confuse the SL hotshoe and it either results in strange behaviour or just won't trigger. It is always wisest to use a single pin transmitter on the SL or put a single pin pass through shoe between the camera and the transmitter.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hot-Shoe-Mount-PC-Sync-Adapter-3-5mm-Port-for-Flash-Light-Studio-Photo-Trigger/321984643952?epid=1921893117&hash=item4af7c7c370:g:KQIAAOSwT2daHZ8E

When using a single pin trigger off camera flash on the SL is very reliable.

For off camera TTL there are only two options. One is a cable and a Leica flash. Because the pins are the same and the cable is just a pass through any Nikon compatible TTL cable will work. This does NOT mean you can use a Nikon compatible flash. Leica flashes only. The second option is the Prolite wireless TTL system, which I have not used.

Gordon

• Like 1