Learner

CL FAQ ... "How do I do such and such?"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Try pressing the center of the 4-way controller. That changes what gets shown on the EVF and back display.

How to disable Video selection?

😊 I do not need the video function and prefer it to be excluded from button selection. 
For instance, with M-adapter-L, a brief press on left button selection button would enable selection between A--M--Video modes. Many times during night the video mode was unintentionally activated.

Thank you.

On 6/20/2019 at 7:54 PM, lct said:

Not sure how i could manage to activate the video mode unintentionally given that i'd have to press the left wheel button at a first step and turn the same wheel afterwards for this purpose but i don't know if it is possible to remove the video function from the button selection sorry. I would guess it is not.

Question:

How do I use the Histogram in the Viewfinder optimally to reduce noise in night shots?

On 8/21/2018 at 2:40 AM, jaapv said:

Determine your main subject, and watch the histogram. Specular highlights can blow out. That means that you aim the camera at the point that you want exposed optimally. Then turn the EV comp. wheel to get as full a histogram as possible, the "mountain" should be high and more or less in the middle. A spike squashed against the right represents your blown highlights. You must interpret whether you are going to accept them. In a night shot I usually do. Disregard a spike against the lefthand side, those are blocked shadows.

In Photoshop optimize sharpness and noise in ACR at 100% Use the alt/option key. Mask carefully.

When processing the image go to curves and pull up the middle of the curve to brighten the midtones. Click OK, go to curves again and apply linear contrast. 

When finished, go to sharpen, set amount to 20, radius to 50 and threshold to 1. Go to "edit" and fade sharpening by 100%.

This will increase "presence" without emphasizing noise.

I understand that I can use my M lenses in both Manual and Aperture modes. When using the Aperture mode do I have to set the f/stop on the lens AND in in the camera manually? It seems like the camera would have no other way of knowing what aperture has been selected. All my M lenses are non-coded. 

6 hours ago, dau said:

The camera does not have to know that in order to correctly expose the frame. It simply measures the light arriving on the sensor.

2 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Nor would I know of any way to set an M lens aperture on the camera. You can only turn the aperture ring on the lens. The camera will choose the shutter time.

On 7/17/2019 at 6:38 AM, dawnbreeze said:

Hello guys..I'm such a newbie and this question is gonna be sounds strange. However, Can I mute the shutter sound of CL for both of mechanical and electronical one? I was trying to take interval shots and  I believe the shutter sound make a boost for battery draining. Please help!

Use the electronic shutter.

The mechanical shutter sound cannot be muted, as it is umm... mechanical.

On 7/17/2019 at 7:17 PM, lct said:

15 minutes ago, lykaman said:

Seriously considering buying a CL & using the latest 28mm Elmarit M (with Leica adaptor) Do I set up the top plate buttons first or after setting up the Main Menu? The 28mm will in effect be around 40mm is that correct?   Regards,  L

The main menu offers options to customize the top buttons/wheels and the Fn button. Save as user profiles.   APS-c will add  about 50% to the equivalent focal length.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/29/2019 at 11:44 AM, Viv said:

Is there an adaptor to enable Fujinon X lenses to be used on the CL?

22 hours ago, Boojay said:

No - don't think it's possible The flange-sensor distance for Fuji X is less than for Leica M/L, so a Fuji X-mount lens to Leica M/L body adapter would have to have a negative-magnification optical component.

Wandering focus point - OK, I get how this happens with LCD viewing, and inadvertent touching of the screen. But its happening on my CL with EVF only selected, and focus assist (or whatever its called) turned off. Very odd.

And I guess the only way to reset this is to turn on the screen, turn on focus assist, reset the point and then turn everything back to as it was. Seems like something is odd here? 

Also, what is the different between EVF and EVF Extended? 

Thanks for any help here. 

Geoff

10 hours ago, geoffreyg said:

Wandering focus point - OK, I get how this happens with LCD viewing, and inadvertent touching of the screen. But its happening on my CL with EVF only selected, and focus assist (or whatever its called) turned off. Very odd.

And I guess the only way to reset this is to turn on the screen, turn on focus assist, reset the point and then turn everything back to as it was. Seems like something is odd here? 

Also, what is the different between EVF and EVF Extended? 

Thanks for any help here. 

Geoff

I have those settings and wandering focus point - it's the D-pad that moves it, always to the bottom right for me, either banging against some body part or inadvertently clicking with my big mitts as I maneuver the camera around. I recenter by using the D-pad to drive it, click by click, back to the middle.