CL FAQ ... "How do I do such and such?"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I haven't got my CL yet, but not being technically savvy, I know I will be asking: How do I do this? How do I do that?

I don't think I'll be alone.

I am sure that fellow CL'ers will chip in with solutions.

Ask away. I hope the moderator will pin this thread.

Edited by Learner
  • Like 1

Question:

How do I trigger image magnification with manual focus?

Answer:

With TL/SL lenses image magnification is automatically triggered by moving the focus ring. With manual focus lenses, the RH dial by default triggers image magnification.

Edited by jaapv

This thread is a service thread meant only for questions and answers about operating the CL.
It is supposed to expand to a FAQ thread.

It is not meant for (bug) reports, complaints, discussion etc..

Such posts will either be deleted  or moved elsewhere without notice.

At the suggestion of Digitalfx:

Please post your questions and answers in the following form:

Question:
Does the CL come in a gold-plated version?

Answer:
At special request at a surcharge of 32.500 $

A moderator will merge the posts in due course.

This thread will be heavily moderated with posts merged, discussions deleted or moved and posts reformulated or deleted, to obtain a consistent FAQ.

We will try to attribute as much as possible to the original posters.

Question:

No manual in my box .

Did anyone else not receive a manual either?

Answer:

The manual and quickstart guide are at http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-APS-C/Leica-CL/Downloads .  It also says that if you would like a printed manual (with glossy black covers), request one from Leica online and they will be happy to send it at no charge.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 5

Question:

How do Leica S, Nikon and manual lenses function on the CL?

Answer:

• Leica S-lenses on the CL via the electronic Leica S-Adapter L: DOES NOT WORK (this in contrast to the SL).
  • Nikon E-lenses on the CL via the electronic Novoflex SL/NIK adapter: DOES NOT WORK (this in contrast to the SL).
  • All Nikon lenses on the CL via manual adapters: DOES WORK. But the aperture cannot be changed on the electronic Nikon E-lenses (ok for all other Nikon lenses). And no auto focus/image stabilissation, obviously. Default aperture on E-lenses is wide open (smallest f-number). The aperture on E-lenses can be preset on a Nikon body by removing the lens while simultaneously pressing the depth-of-field preview button. In this case the aperture equals that of the lens on the Nikon body. 
  • Manual lenses in general on the CL via manual adapters by Leica or other manufacturers: DOES WORK (at least for the adapters that I have access to).

I don't have access to the electronic Novoflex Canon EF lens to Leica SL adapter, but I suspect it belongs to the same category as the electronic Novoflex SL/NIK adapter, i.e., that it does not work.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Question:
The self timer menu line on my CL is greyed out. Nothing I have tried has been able to activate it. Ideas?

Answer:
The self-timer is active only in Drive mode "Single". It is greyed out in, e.g., Drive Mode "Continuous Low Speed".

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 2

Question:

Is there a way to change the default controls to half stops rather than ⅓ stops? This would be helpful with most ‘M’ lenses since the aperture ring is in half stops. It would be nice to have aperture and shutter speed controls matching.

Answer:

No, not with the current firmware.

Question:

How do I easily cycle through the EVF/LCD display options?

Answer:

Menu > Customise Control > FN Button then scroll down until you find the EVF-LCD and set it to ON.

Then, when you press & hold the FN button, it will appear as an option. Select it. Next time you press the FN button, you’ll use it to cycle between the EVF and LCD options.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Question:

I want to remove Self Timer from the functions of the Fn button but the camera says "active items cannot be deleted". Any idea?

Answer:
Set Drive Mode to any other option than "Single". Then Menu > Customize Control > FN Button, scroll down to Self Timer and set it to Off. It works. Choose again "Single" as Drive Mode if you wish so. 
  • Like 4

Question:

The right wheel does not activate image magnification when focusing manually.

Answer:

In the main menu, page 4, set "Wheel Lock in Live View" to "off"

This solves the problem for someone with an M lens in its Leica M to L adapter. In that case the aperture control is on the lens and the right hand wheel is free to provide focus magnification. But if you use an L mount lens in Manual focus mode, the buttons are used for aperture and shutter control. In that case, focus magnification is provided by pressing the up or down arrow buttons on the back. Pressing the center back of the four-way button toggles between 3X and 6X magnification. Unfortunately, this leaves no control free for back button autofocus, which is a common request. (A kludgy workaround would be to use the left or right arrow buttons for back button AF, but it is doubtful that this would pass the "Wesentliches" UI style test.)

• Like 1

Question:

I am thinking of getting a non coded 90mm Elmarit lens for my CL. I think the menu in the camera gives me a list which I assume will include that lens. My question is do I have to find it on the list every time I attach that lens or will the camera remember once done the first time.

Answer:

The camera remembers provided you don't use another lens in the meantime. You may wish to assign a profile to this lens if you use it frequently.

• Like 2

Question:

How do I get focus zooming to work when I am using an L lens in AF mode but correcting focus manually with the shutter button half-pressed?

Answer:

With present firmware, you can't.  The half-press stops the focus zoom. Focus peaking works fine.

Edited by jaapv

Question:

Video stabilization sounds like a good idea, especially when using the CL to make video "snapshots," but I can't get it to work on my CL. The line "video stabilization" in the submenu video settings says "on" but is greyed out. On my SL, I have seen video stabilization indicated both "off" and "on," (and I know how to make it go back to "on") but on my CL, both OIS and video stabilization are currently "on" but greyed out. Since you can't go into the menu while video is being shot, I have no way to tell if it is working while the video is running but greyed out for just framing.

Answer:

It will only work with stabilized lenses - at the moment SL ones- . There is no IBIS.

Question:

How do I connect my CL directly to my Mac Pro (2013) to get to its DNG files, other than taking out the SD card and putting it in the reader? I've tried every which way, to no avail. I get to "Leica Connect" but nothing happens! Thanks in advance!!

Answer:

by vikasmg

You select the Web Server function (WLAN/Function/Web Server), connect your Mac to the Leica CL's SSID and then enter the RL shown on the Leica CL in your browser (Safari is fine). All the JPGs on your SD card will show up and can be downloaded. You can view them individually and even as a slideshow. However you can only download them individually as far as I could make out. Each download is very time consuming and also only yields a JPG, not DGN.

Not worth it. May be easier to import the DGNs on to your iPad, import them the photo album into Lightroom on your iPad and then let Lightroom Sync them. Again, downloading - particularly with DGNs, takes time. Unless I want to do quick edits on you iPad for immediate use, I usually take out the SD card at the end of the day and import them directly into Lightroom. A lot easier that way.

Edited by jaapv
answer

• 2 weeks later...

Question

How do you activate exposure compensation in manual mode with auto-ISO set? In manual mode (M) the left wheel does shutter speed, the right wheel does aperture. There are no wheels/dials left to do exposure compensation (effectively this makes the auto-ISO calculation the remaining variable factor to affect the exposure value). 

Answer

You need to set the Fn button or right wheel button to enable the exposure compensation menu option, or alternatively go into the menu itself and select exposure compensation, or set exposure compensation to a favourite menu item.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Question:

I just got my CL and mounted a M21/3.4A on it. However, I found that the F values of the lens do not appear either on the LCD or in the EVF window. The F value was not recorded in EXIF either. Is this normal?

Answer:

Yes, this is normal. M lenses have no electronic coupling of the aperture, as it is fully mechanical.

Edited by jaapv
jaapv answer

Question:

Picked up my CL+18 kit today... Not gushing yet.

I've been playing with the settings, and appear to have painted myself into a corner...

After fiddling with settings I am no longer able to take pictures... All is black... screen and via EVF...

And no, the lens cap is not on.

Help... How do I revivify the beast?

I can see and toggle through pictures that had been earlier this afternoon.
====
Answer:

Silly me ... Turned the camera off, and took off lens and re-inserted...

Solved.

Camera had had no connection with the lens.

=======

Edited by jaapv

Question:

Is it possible to trigger the various SCENE modes via the left or right button and related wheels?

Or, is the only way to trigger SCENE modes via page 2 of the main MENU?

Answer:

You have to select particular SCENE from MENU before SCENE pops into the mode selection cycle.