Learner

CL FAQ ... "How do I do such and such?"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

32 minutes ago, grahamhoey said:

I seem to be only able to get focus peaking on the CL when I am in MF mode

You turn the focus ring while keeping the shutter release half pressed.

Question: is it possible to use a non-Leica flash on the CL which works as well? If so, any recommendations?

13 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Question: is it possible to use a non-Leica flash on the CL which works as well? If so, any recommendations?

Ahhh, this is the reason why I did not upgrade from T to TL2! The lack of flash on TL2 and not being able to use a flash when you have EVF on!

But I am glad I didn't do the upgrade as I love my CL! ;)

I made some tests with 3rd party flashes such as Nikon that I already had, but I was not convinced!... It seems some people use 3rd party  manually. But somehow, it did not work for me and the result didn't seem sure to me. Leica uses other brands but makes a modification for leica camera. For instance, Leica flash made by Metz was modified for Leica and the same model of Metz  is not working on Leica (CL).

I found a very reasonable second hand but in perfect condition SF 24D. I am not using flash often, but it is good to have one just in case. SF 24D is working well and enough for my need.! :)

Good luck Ken.

Question

What is the best (fastest, largest capacity, brand) SD card for the Leica CL?

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, rob_w said:

Question

What is the best (fastest, largest capacity, brand) SD card for the Leica CL?

Lexar has realized a 1tb SD card
but you can find many 128 or 256gb card with speed ip to 300mb/s   ... not necessary for the CL

I use sandisk 128gb 170mb/s  https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07H9DVLBB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 you can get a 256 or 512gb

Edited by cirke

Could someone please explain Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) on the CL? How can it be turned off or put on automatic? On the Q that is an easy thing, but on every menu I try on the CL it seems to be set to "on". Many thanks.

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 3 Stunden schrieb bags27:

Could someone please explain Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) on the CL? How can it be turned off or put on automatic? On the Q that is an easy thing, but on every menu I try on the CL it seems to be set to "on". Many thanks.

Sorry, but to my knowledge the CL doesn’t have any OIS except your steady hand. 

Edited by WeiterWinkel

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, WeiterWinkel said:

Sorry, but to my knowledge the CL doesn’t have any OIS except your steady hand. 

thanks for responding. That's what I had thought, too. But it certainly appears in my menu system as "on" and non-selectable. And here from the CL manual. so, does this mean that its default is "on" but only with SL lenses? 

Edited by bags27

The CL does not do OIS. It's the lenses that do it, and obiously only those lenses that are so built.

You can not change the setting in the CL if there is no lens that can do OIS. Once such a lens is mounted, I presume that you can disable or enable OIS.

thanks and interesting. and that will likely include the new Panasonic and Sigma lenses, I bet, part of the reason for yesterday's firmware upgrade.

Question

Is it necessary to update the firmware on Leica TL lenses (as well as the firmware in the CL camera, which I did today)?  Both my lenses (23 and 35) show firmware version 1.0

Question

Is it possible to have auto review only on the back screen?  At the moment it seems to take place both in the EVF and on the back screen, so if I want to take several quick shots in succession my view through the EVF freezes.  I do use auto review on the back screen habitually with my other cameras and I would like the CL to work in the same way.  Thanks

4 hours ago, rob_w said:

Question

Is it possible to have auto review only on the back screen?  At the moment it seems to take place both in the EVF and on the back screen, so if I want to take several quick shots in succession my view through the EVF freezes.  I do use auto review on the back screen habitually with my other cameras and I would like the CL to work in the same way.  Thanks

I don't think it is possible but even if it were, it wouldn't prevent your EVF issue i fear. Don't ask me why please but the only way i know of is to set auto review to off. All my digicams are set this way BTW. Not a big deal to me but i don't chimp much so YMMV.

Thanks.  It helps to know it can't be done - I'll stop searching the manual.  This is my first mirrorless camera and I'm trying to set it up like the OVF on my M.  I will need to change that particular habit.

The Instruction Manual entry which confused me is on page 28 under Display Settings:

EVF ExtendedEVF Extended: Photographs always with viewfinder, playback or menu control always on screen

this sounds like what I need, but it does not work like that.  When I set it, playback still works through the EVF.

Question

Is there any more detailed info about battery life than the dinky little 3 bars in the top window? Thanks

Answer:

No.

On 4/12/2019 at 10:48 AM, Joachim_I said:

Would a Contax Hologon 8/16mm converted to Leica M fit a CL

A lens with an M mount must not protrude more than 11mm into the body. You must, of course, use an M to CL adapter.

By Jaapv:

11 mm. plus the thickness of the adapter. Obviously the flange distance must be the same as an M camera (minus a safety margin)

On 3/26/2019 at 11:25 AM, bags27 said:

You can use virtually any flash in simple manual or A (auto-thyristor) mode, but none except Leica's will work in TTL mode.

Posted (edited)

Just got the CL a week or so ago, been working well with both the 18-56 and manual M lenses just fine. Set it up for EVF only, with histogram and horizon line "on". They work well with the M lenses, in manual operation. 

When the zoom lens is put on, oddly neither the histogram and the horizon are visible, although both are still in the menus as "on". Any thoughts? 

Edited by geoffreyg