Help picking lenses for travel

Csacwp

I have no problem picking lenses for travel, only to carry them ;-)

What ever works for you on the daily basis should work for you while travelling, what is different?

Looking at your suggested combinations I would go for either first or second, personally I would chose second as APO 50mm is small lens, on the other other hand Summilux 75 is a bit of a beast. My go to set for M246 are Summilux 28 and APO 50mm for outdoors, sometimes I alternate 28mm with 21mm and add 75mm if I know I will be using it indoors.

Of the stable you have at hand, I would pick the 28 + 50.  I often pack just a 28/1.4, or 28/2.8 if going light, for a week of vacation shooting, mostly scenes and small groups of people.  Size and weight are a prime consideration.  The 75 is big but lovely.  If you have access, perhaps the 28/1.4 + 75/2.0 would be a nice pair.

Eric

I assume it is for Leica FF camera, maybe even RF? Just 28mm lens then. Here is absolutely no problem to take portraits with 28 RF lens, it doesn't distorts as SLR lens on (d)SLR or mobile phone lens (most used 28mm lens).

Travel is about to explore by getting close. 28 is perfect for it. 90 is if you are afraid to get close or need to take passport photo :)

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You referred to this trip on another thread as an assignment. I guess your client's demands will determine some of your choices. If it's a professional assignment, with certain expectations about deliverables, you might need more than this.

I just need the 28 lux for the professional part of this trip.

Edited by Csacwp

I assume it is for Leica FF camera, maybe even RF? Just 28mm lens then. Here is absolutely no problem to take portraits with 28 RF lens, it doesn't distorts as SLR lens on (d)SLR or mobile phone lens (most used 28mm lens).

Travel is about to explore by getting close. 28 is perfect for it. 90 is if you are afraid to get close or need to take passport photo :)

Well, I like using the 90mm for landscapes.  I'm wondering if I would miss it if I brought the 75 lux instead.  As for the 50mm, it's such a nice lens... but I'm not sure if I'd use it.  Maybe it's better to be safe than sorry though.

As for portraits with the 28mm... it works fine for trip photos, but my wife doesn't find it very flattering.  

Edited by Csacwp

28+50mm would be my choice

Take the 75 and 90 as well. Swap them into your kit, depending on what you think you will be shooting that day.

I assume you will have a room, you can leave the stuff your not using?

If you're carrying all your belongs all the time ........ travel light 28+50mm

One lens always on your walkabout. Light and simple. More than one means you are more likely to miss a shot debating which lens to mount.

Carry as much gear with you on your travel subject to airline restrictions on carry on and limits of hotel safe deposit boxes. The last thing you want is for the airline to force you to check in equipment or for you to have equipment go missing from hotel room.

For a trip 28. 50 and 90 would be more than adequate for most occasions and you seem to be well covered there.

If you can carry all 3 then take all 3. I can't think of any reason not to do so.

FWIW your choice option of 28, 50 and 90 is almost the same as my own 'go-to' travel kit which is 35 Summaron, 50 Summicron v4 and 90 T-E v3.

(Incidentally the total weight of my own choice is a mere 606 grammes and so is hardly a back-breaker for carrying about all day).

Pip.

Hang on a second, you have bought ~$20,000 in lenses, are doing a commercial shoot during the trip, and yet you feel the need to ask us what you should take?

I think it would be more informative for you tell us what you are taking and your reasoning behind the choices. You obviously have the experience and are a competent photographer.

• Like 1

Hang on a second, you have bought ~$20,000 in lenses, are doing a commercial shoot during the trip, and yet you feel the need to ask us what you should take?

I think it would be more informative for you tell us what you are taking and your reasoning behind the choices. You obviously have the experience and are a competent photographer.

I found the questions strange myself.

May this be the answer ? Or Not ?

I just need the 28 lux for the professional part of this trip.

The OP loves asking :

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/279930-where-to-sell-lenses/

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/279962-filter-question/

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/279877-do-lenses-have-different-character-when-stopped-down/

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

Obviously you are taking the 28 lux.

Personally I think you should leave everything else at home, and just work with the 28. You won’t miss anything because you will always have the right (or wrong) lens on the camera ... ;)

If you can’t manage that, take everything and select in a daily basis. Those left behind can go in the safe.

I’m jealous of the trip, though. Have fun!

J :)

Edited by Mute-on

Take what suits you. Europe is a bit tighter in its streetscapes and even landscapes than N. or S. America or Africa. A bit wider usually works well. Asia is at times tighter, at times more open. Australia is obvious. Other than that, you're on your own.

Last trip to Europe with Leica was with the 21/1.4, 35/1.4, 50/1.4 and 90/28. The most used lens was the 21/1.4, next the 35/1.4. The 90 saw little action. Clearly, tastes vary. I sometimes wished I'd taken the WA Tri-E. I don't think I've gone to Europe without a 15 or thereabouts since before the Hologon came out. This next October I'll most likely take the 10/5.6 Voigtlaender to the LHSA meeting in Wetzlar.

These sort of questions are mostly rather pointless, because we aren't in tune with your shooting style. and while you shouldn't do what I do, I definitely won't do what you do. That's all to the good.

Edited by henning
  • Like 1