Agh, my iMac has turned up its toes...

Keith (M)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Switched on my two-year old iMac this morning and having put in my password the progress bar moved at a crawl - after watching paint dry for an hour I turned it off then tried again - same result.  Fired up my little Windows Surface Pro tablet and searched for help.  Discovered how to boot in Recovery Mode then did all the available checks on the hard drive - all OK. Reboot - same problem. Reboot again in Recovery Mode and reinstalled the Operating System.  That should fix it!  Nope, still won't boot normally.  Am now again in Recovery Mode running the 'secure erase' so that I can take it J Lewis for repair (three year warranty).

All my files, documents and photos are backed up to a Time Machine but of course I cannot access those from my Surface Pro  :(  

I have the same problem with an MacBook Pro.

It's no hardware problem, but a serious bug in the software. Since 17/12/01 something in the software signals that there is a 13th month, and you get the constant and thousandfold reply  "month 13 out of bound". This fills up your disk and it won't boot. Even when is does you get serious performance problems, e.g, when you try to use this Forum with Safari.  

Apple was only able to cure this by an update for IOS but not yet for MacOS. https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/88417

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/307512/month-13-is-out-of-bounds

Edited by UliWer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Halleluja - my iMac is back!  :)  Picked it up Fri afternoon from J Lewis and set about trying to restore it - ha!  Needed to connect it to our TalkTalk router, but that requires turning off the restricted wi-fi access list in the router from another computer.  Simples - well it would have been if I could connect to the routers local address (192.168.1.1) - nope, no way.  Seems to be an endemic problem judging by all the angst on the TTalk 'help' pages... Some people never manage to do so!  Luckily for me a complete reboot of it finally allowed me access and connect the iMac.

In the meantime I had skipped the 'connect to wifi' stage in the start-up process and gone on to 'restore from Time Machine', which had plugged directly into the iMac with an RJ45 cable. Time Machine identified, password accepted, backup files identified and encryption password accepted, so the screen said 'restoring from KDM Time Machine...'  That was at 4pm Fri and at 4pm today I gave up and restarted the whole process, this time of course being entirely successful in connecting to wifi/internet/iCloud etc etc.  Then found out that to initiate a complete restore of how the iMac was in late Dec involved a restart and force it into recovery mode. Going through the various necessary stages went OK and the screen is currently showing 'Restoring files (3.7%), Time remaining 15hrs & 27mins'...  :0 

Computers, eh? Who'd have em...

Did they tell you, if it really was a hardware problem?

Since 18/01/01 the problem caused by the „month 13 out of bound“-bug is gone on my MacBook Pro - as was expected. Safari is also o.k. now, after it was almost unusable during December. Though I still suspect that there is some bug lurking in the background as long as it is not taken care of by an update.

I have used several Macs now for more then ten years but had never so many problems as last month.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Did they tell you, if it really was a hardware problem?

Since 18/01/01 the problem caused by the „month 13 out of bound“-bug is gone on my MacBook Pro - as was expected. Safari is also o.k. now, after it was almost unusable during December. Though I still suspect that there is some bug lurking in the background as long as it is not taken care of by an update.

I have used several Macs now for more then ten years but had never so many problems as last month.

No, the very short report (which I only briefly saw when collection the computer) merely stated that corrective actions had been taken and that a 'burn-in' (or some such terminology) of 48hrs had been carried out, resulting in a clean bill of health.