35mm dilemma: Zeiss f2.8 and f1.4 or Leica f2.0?

jmr237

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone, in a few months I will be in the market for a 35mm lens for my digital M-D and film MP. I have been using a 50mm summilux for a few years, and I added the 28mm elmarit about a year ago.

I plan to buy new (it's a personal preference). For the same amount of money ($3,200) one can buy a Leica 35mm Summicron or both the Zeiss 2.8 Biogon-C and the Zeiss 1.4 Distagon.

I have heard great things about all three lenses. The summicron option is appealing because you get one lens and are done with it. The Zeiss option is appealing because you end up with two great 35mm options--a small, compact lens when speed doesn't matter, and a 1.4 lens when low-light ability or minimal depth of field is more important.

Most of my pictures are family, travel, and occasional photo walks in the LA area.

• Like 1

I used to really like Zeiss lenses on my Nikons but a tiny 35mm Summicron on a Leica M is a very different experience, and one which I much prefer.

I’ve owned ZEiss ZM lenses and used them on my Ms, and yes, they are excellent lenses. But no Zeiss 35mm could replace a Summicron for ease and speed of use and the way it so perfectly fits the way I like to use my camera.

Yes, it’s a personal thing. I wouldn’t hesitate to put a Zeiss lens on an SLR but a Leica M is a different matter altogether.

Edited by Peter H
  • Haha 1

I find viewfinder blockage to be a significant factor in my lens selections.  In lens reviews the Zeiss lenses test very well in comparison to their Leica counterparts, but they are invariably larger and block more of the viewfinder.  I generally go with smaller lenses. If I had an M-D I would worry about not being able to review the image to determine if something unwanted is in the frame, but blocked from view by the lens.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A quandary. I also have the Leica 50mm 1.4 and enjoy both the speed and size. My Zeiss ZM 28mm 2.8 is fine with minimal finder blockage. The metal hood is indestructible and convenient. The other issue of speed..I am generally outdoors with the Zeiss 28mm and only occasionally need to boost ISO. So not really an issue. Good luck!

Are you sure you would use the big ZM 35/1.4 on your rangefinders? If so, the ZM 35/2.8 is so good that i would be tempted by the ZM option. Now i dislike bulky lenses on compact bodies, especially wides, so -for me- the alternative would be Leica 35/2 asph or ZM 35/2.8. I have both lenses and would keep the ZM since i am fortunate enough to own a Leica 35/1.4 FLE as well. Now if you intend to use your lenses on crop bodies someday, the Leica 35/2 asph is probably the best compromise available on cameras like Leica M8, Epson R-D1, Ricoh GXR or Leica digital CL (no experience with Leica T, TL or TL2).

• Like 3

I'm a big fan of the Biogon-C, I think it draws more graphically than the Summicron 35 asph and the corners are far better. Quite compact, it is my standard lens on the Monochrom. 

The Distagon is bigger -but not heavier- than the Summilux and the Zeiss designers have taken full advantage of the size. It brings a wonderful transparency to its images.

The advantage of the Leica lenses is the smaller size for the high quality in the Summilux 35 and the higher speed at a similar size for the Summicron. Still, to me, it is a no-brainer: The Zeiss lenses.

• Like 4

Have a mixture of Zeiss, Leitz and Voightlander lenses in focal lengths from 21mm to 135mm and 35mm is the only focal length of which I own more then one lens.  My vote goes to the ZM 35 f2.8 C-Biogon if you can live with a maximum aperture of f2.8.

It is small, does not block the viewfinder at all and according to Reid Reviews it may be the sharpest 35mm lens made today.  It is my favorite travel lens and honestly it with a film M (M2 in my case) may be all you need.  Save yourself $50 and use the Voightlander lens hood.  You can find used examples for $600 or less.

I have it teamed with a 35f1.2 from Voightlander which is a large lens.  My understanding is that the Zeiss 35f1.4 is also on the large end but not as large or heavy as the 35f1.2.  Personally, I just don't think Leitz products are worth what you get over the Zeiss or Voightlander products.  When someone looks at famous photographs from HCB or Alfred Eisenstaedt, no one cares if it was taken with a Leitz, Zeiss etc.

Edited by ktmrider2
  • Like 3

I just purchased the Zeiss 35mm 2,8 and, like Jaap said, on the M246 this is stellar performer - both ergonomically and from the images I can make form it which have a nice persuasive feel to them - not overly modern and calculated but not too old school either... I also have the M-E and at ISO 160 in good light, I find the images from this lens provides a unique and graphic colour density as long as I am confident with the quality of light behind and around the scene. Realistically, the argument to myself is that the Zeiss 35mm 2,8 is probably all I will need as it forces me to really look at the scenes I am interested to capture, portray, and remember for my own purposes.

That said, I debated getting the 35 Summicron (new version) and I still might buy it down the road at some time...or maybe the new 28mm Summicron which has a superb rendering/draw on both the M246 and M-E series of cameras. And for what it's worth, I believe the ideal wide angle optic as a companion to the Zeiss 35mm 2,8 would be the 21mm 3,4 SEM.

At the present moment, I am travelling for a month through the Yucatan and Campeche and really digging this optic on the Monochrom.

I have both Leica and Zeiss wideangles. All have been good or better; but for a variety of reasons would pick the 35mm Cron - mine has served me better, perhaps, than any other lens; this is absolutely true on digital. Regards, Ron

Edited by Ronazle

The 35mm Summicron ASPH and the V4 are lovely wonderful lenses compact and sharp.

Recently I got the Zeiss ZM 35mm f/1.4 and I must admit it's a stellar performer it's one of the sharpest lenses in my collection. The viewfinder blockage is not a problem and the size is ok if you are used to carry the Noctilux...

The Zeiss ZM is wonderful on the Monochrom I love the microcontrast and the sharpness

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

For the same amount of money ($3,200) one can buy a Leica 35mm Summicron or both the Zeiss 2.8 Biogon-C and the Zeiss 1.4 Distagon.

Based on my experience with my 35mm f/1.4 and 35mm f/2 Nikon lenses, I knew that I needed a 35mm f/1.4 for my Leica rangefinders. Therefore, I did not even consider the 35mm f/2 Summicron. I only considered the 35mm f/1.4 Summilux, the 35mm f/1.4 Voigtländer, and the 35mm f/1.4 Zeiss lenses.

I decided on the 35mm f/1.4 Zeiss and have been very happy with my decision.

34757002694_5c1ea104db_c.jpg

Nikon and Leica by Narsuitus, on Flickr