Need a Compact P&S to carry with the SL

Dr. G

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm looking for a good, small point and shoot to carry with the SL. The quick answer would be the Q, but I think the size and weight is a bit much for a second camera in my bag which will have the SL, Lux-SL 50mm and the 24-90 in it. If it's small and light and my wife can carry it in her bag, even better. Quality wise, I know the Q will give me similar results to the SL, but I'm not looking for a second camera to print large, just something to get good quality photos. Either a 28 or 35mm equivalent would work in the fixed lens department. I thought about the Fuji X100F, but I have no experience with Fuji.

In addition, it needs to be something I can easily hand to someone and have them take a good photo without playing around with settings.

Any suggestions?

The Fuji X100F is a great, all around APS-C camera. I've owned all versions. Nice build (Made in Japan) with very nice out of the camera JPEGs. With that said, it is pretty much the same size as the "Q", and the Q is full frame.

How about the new Leica CL with the 18mm pancake? It gets great reviews

The CL is about as compact as they get and it accepts all your SL lenses plus any M, R or TL lens...with the 18mm L lens it fits in a jacket pocket easily. Honestly it’s the perfect companion to the SL or even the M as it accepts all the lenses. Quite impressive camera for its size and certainly meets all your point and shoot requirements with either the 18mm or 23mm af lenses. I’d recommend the 18mm which is a 28mm equivalent on the CL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Super small with a 28mm, the Ricoh GR or GRII fits in a back pocket, tiny but the images will be Leica like.  Another is the Nikon Coolpix A, now discontinued, but the images will not give up much to your SL.  Sony RX1 if you want full frame in a tiny body, the RX1markII is 42mp.

Consider the Olympus TG series cameras.  I have the TG4, and Olympus has now introduced the TG5.  TG stands for tough, and they are.  I bought my TG4 for underwater photography and it got its first dunk in Rarotonga (a destination to dream of for a 3-5 days stay!!!).  It is truly a point and shoot, has good quality pictures and is a take anywhere camera.  Its only down side is (poor) flare resistance, particularly for night photography.

Guy

I would aslo conside the Sony RX100 V... it's a zoom, which is pretty handy. It has a built in flash too. TINY!!

I have the SL, Q and Sony now...

The Sony comes out when I may need a flash.

The pic shows the Q vs version IV, version V is the same size.

SonyQ.JPG

Edited by Donzo98

After thinking about it, I'm just going to stay with the Q.  I really like the way it handles and renders.  The trick is to see if I can get the Q, The SL with the 24-90 and the Lux-SL 50 in the Think Tank Signature 10.  If not, I guess I'll pick up the Signature 13.  

I have the RX100 ii that still does a great job, and the RX10 IV for when I need a lot of reach.  My daughter actually likes carrying the RX100 as it became her camera.  

After thinking about it, I'm just going to stay with the Q.  I really like the way it handles and renders.  The trick is to see if I can get the Q, The SL with the 24-90 and the Lux-SL 50 in the Think Tank Signature 10.  If not, I guess I'll pick up the Signature 13.  

I have the RX100 ii that still does a great job, and the RX10 IV for when I need a lot of reach.  My daughter actually likes carrying the RX100 as it became her camera.  

Why do you need to carry both bodies at the same time?

I have the Q with me on a daily basis, and leave the SL at home. If I am going to shoot specifically, I will just take the SL.

The only time I need both (or all 3) is when I am going on vacation...

• Like 1

My Leica M-D is my compact alternative camera when I don't want to carry the SL. I gave up on fixed-lens, AF, point and shoots a long time ago. I also consider a CL to be a good alternative camera choice, since it will use any of my lenses, and might yet buy one ... but not this year. 

I rarely carry more than one camera (two or three if you include my iPhone and iPad with their cameras) unless there's something very specific about the multiple cameras that I have to have for some photography I'm doing. 

I would aslo conside the Sony RX100 V... it's a zoom, which is pretty handy. It has a built in flash too. TINY!!

I have the SL, Q and Sony now...

The Sony comes out when I may need a flash.

The pic shows the Q vs version IV, version V is the same size.

SonyQ.JPG

Can you really compare the image quality of the RX 100 IV to the Leica Q?  Rob

Why do you need to carry both bodies at the same time?

I have the Q with me on a daily basis, and leave the SL at home. If I am going to shoot specifically, I will just take the SL.

The only time I need both (or all 3) is when I am going on vacation...

It will be rare, but there's an event coming up where I will need to carry both.  My wife will be shooting the Q and I'll use the SL.  We're going to an event with some celebrity chefs down in Grand Cayman in January.  One of the events is at night on the beach.  Ideally I'd take the 50 Lux-SL and the Q to that event for their low light capabilities and flexibility in focal lengths.  The Qs macro mode will allow me to get good photos of plated dishes as well.  

Also, I'm doing a private jet event with Eric Ripert.  This will probably be a once in a lifetime opportunity, so I wanted to take both systems with me to make sure I can get some good photos.

Can you really compare the image quality of the RX 100 IV to the Leica Q? Rob

All cameras serve a purpose... IQ wise, I love my Q and SL.

The Sony is much smaller, has built in flash and a zoom. The IQ is actually excellent... but if push comes to shove, I would rather use the Leica stuff.

The best pic I ever took was shot with a Canon G7XII from a jet ski. I won a photo contest with it this year... :) :)

Rosh10.JPG

Edited by Donzo98
  • Like 7

Reading you posts it seems the CL was made specifically for you.

* Smaller than the Q

* Same Leica menus and colour signature.

* Choice of tiny 28 or 35mm equiv.

* Backup to your SL with cross lens compatibility.

* same resolution.

* same battery as the Q you already own.

For you, I see no downsides......

Gordon

• Like 1

Reading you posts it seems the CL was made specifically for you.

* Smaller than the Q

* Same Leica menus and colour signature.

* Choice of tiny 28 or 35mm equiv.

* Backup to your SL with cross lens compatibility.

* same resolution.

* same battery as the Q you already own.

For you, I see no downsides......

Gordon

Good point Gordon...