Please answer . I am lost about Monochrome

Kamyar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello friends. I need your guidance and experience. I now have a SL camera and a tl2 with a lens. My experience for photography with m has long been associated with m6. I have Great suggestion to buy a monochrome 246 with visoflex with good price. But I do not have a proper lens except vogtlander 12 and voigtlander 35f1.4. And leica 50mm f2: 8 and leica 35mm f2. Do I need monochrome to have black and white photos? Regarding the rest of the cameras. Buy a camera and buy more lenses in the future? thank you . kamyar

Edited by Kamyar

I can only buy monochrome at this time. And I can not get better lenses. But I like the harmony of monochrome gray colors. Is my lens enough? I can buy a monochrome 246 with a grant that worked 1000 shots , plus visoflex for $ 4,600 from my friend. I think the price is good. But some of my friends tell me to just buy a lens. I do not know what to do.

One could make a lifetime of photos with just your 35 Summicron or 50 Elmar. And your cameras are more than capable of wonderful files. Pick a body and make pics. The issue needn't be IQ; there are greater differences in viewing systems, handling and ergonomics, control interface, etc.

The Monochrom works well with your lenses. You should know if b/w only is your calling. If that's not clear, then it's not. Color conversions have advantages, too, particularly use of color channels in PP.

Btw, you could buy a mint used M9 based Monochrom, with new sensor, for a lot less than the M246. I did.

Jeff

• Like 1

Guest Nowhereman

The first decision is, do you want to have two cameras?

Also, do you want to have a camera that is smaller than the SL?

Then, do you want a camera that can only make B&W images?

I had an M9 and and an M-Monochrom. Sold them both and bought the M10. My own preference is to convert M10 color images to B&W than shooting with the M-Monochrom because I like using "digital color filters" in post-processing with Lightroom and Silver Efex.

As for lenses, the fewer the better, unless you shoot all the time — better to get to know one lens well than shooting with 5 or 10 and knowing none of them.

Instagram: @mitchalland

Guest jvansmit

Mono 246 and Visoflex for me is 4700$. Is not good price ? Onley 1000 shot work. With warranty. In not ok?

I'm not sure if this is relevant to you but here in Hong Kong a used M246 with a low shutter count & still under warranty is $4,718 while a new one is $5,744 (dealer prices).

I doubt that an M246 would give you markedly better black and white image quality than the SL except at high ISO or if you like very large prints.