WATE on M9.

Robinyuill

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there. I'm thinking of getting a 16-18-21 WATE but wondered how it is in use on M9's etc without live view. I'd get the viewfinder but wondered how owners find it. I had the 18mm super Elmar for awhile and liked it but it was just guess work without the finder but usually I'd get the image sorted with a few shots. Thanks for any info. Regards Robin.

I have the WATE and love it..! Use it on a Sony.

But..there is a focus change when you change the focal length..

In other words..if you are at 16mm...and focus at 6'...and then decide you want 21mm instead..the focus point changes a bit/slightly when you go to the different focal length..as in..suddenly you are out of exact focus..even though you didn't touch the focus ring...

So I wonder..does the M rangefinder account for this change..?

I would find this out before using this lens on M9..esp if you focus in the close range to make the composition interesting in the foreground..

Edited by tsleica

I don’t believe the focus distance should shift when you change the focal length. At least it doesn’t on the MATE and I thought that was a design parameter of the WATE also.

Does the focus patch in the RF move when you change focal length? If not, but the focus distance does, I’d wonder if the lens is working properly.

Most people using an M w/WATE at long distances probably wouldn't notice..

But in the ranges I use..general 6' and under..well..

I was told this is normal for this lens by someone on the forum..

Here is a WATE pic..in closeup..

2wvbRyf.jpg

Edited by tsleica
  • Like 1